Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Frequency response of Powercab+ 112

eharding

Hello,

What is the frequency response of the Powercab+ 112?  I currently use it with my Variax and Helix.  I'm considering using it for the Singular Beat Buddy and my bass guitar/HX Stomp combo.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

The cabs are basically FRFR.  However, the PC212+ is only flat down to 70Hz I believe.  The 112 would be higher.

I've tried bass through my PC212+ and it doesn't work well.  If you like the 60's rock midrange sound it's fine, but if you need the lows you'll need a sub to be happy - unless you're just doing low volume bedroom jamming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 5:04 PM, somebodyelse said:

Bottom E on a guitar is about 89Hz, the 112 and 212 use the same speaker, so it'll be 70Hz on the low end, too.

Bottom E on a bass is about 45Hz...

"so it'll be 70Hz on the low end, too."  Not necessarily.  Having multiple speakers means more surface area.  This results in better low end response.  This is why subwoofer speakers are usually larger sizes like 15" or even 18".

That said, the manual does state all PowerCab models have a range of 70Hz-20KHz.  So, you're correct in the end.  :)

The 112 vs 212 presumably have their own EQ compensation curves (for multiple reasons), and the fact that they have the same response listed in the manual means they presumably account for the different bass response down to 70Hz.

I bet the 212 has better low end response below 70Hz though, due to the doubling of surface area, but L6 doesn't provide a chart to look at.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, OmniFace said:

"so it'll be 70Hz on the low end, too."  Not necessarily.  Having multiple speakers means more surface area.  This results in better low end response.  This is why subwoofer speakers are usually larger sizes like 15" or even 18".

That said, the manual does state all PowerCab models have a range of 70Hz-20KHz.  So, you're correct in the end.  :)

The 112 vs 212 presumably have their own EQ compensation curves (for multiple reasons), and the fact that they have the same response listed in the manual means they presumably account for the different bass response down to 70Hz.

I bet the 212 has better low end response below 70Hz though, due to the doubling of surface area, but L6 doesn't provide a chart to look at.

They also have different cabs, which will make the biggest difference overall - unless they literally did just glue two 112+s together; Alot depends in what the inside of the cab looks like, especially in a closed back cab.

I very much doubt Yamaha/Line 6 did any research in to it and just quoted same specs to cover their a***es - nobody's gonna complain if it sounds better.