Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

7/8 expansion

Kingdondo

You mean like physically attach the switch to the POD Go? I don’t know... You could possibly mount it on the space above the expression pedal, but I don’t know if that would get in the way or not.

I guess that if you want to use the mosky and maybe other ext pedals you most definitely will need a pedal board, given that you'll also need another of a different psu. The pod go is not big, you won't need a huge pedalboard.

When you say 7/8 expansion, I'm assuming you are referring to FS7/FS8 - to do this you'll need a double momentary footswitch (or 2 singles) . You need to set up Pod Go as per p29 of the manual and you'll need a TRS cable.  The FS7/FS8 will not show 'on screen' in stomp mode, and can only be used to either switch an FX on/off or alternate between settings eg min/max values.  AFAIK, you cannot scroll through pre-sets with these pedals (if you find otherwise PLEASE let me know!) which is a real shame, but if you set Pod Go for 4 footswitch plus up/down scrolling (instead of 6) these will give you the other 2 footswitches. 

But here's the problem. If you've created a patch with 5 or 6 footswitches the 4 that display may not be the ones you need to see, so you may have to do some re-allocation of footswitch position each time in each patch. You also can't see what the FS7/FS8 are set to do, which means the functionality is limited, unless Line 6 can improve it.  Ditto, even if you use one of the displayed stomp switches 

But you don't need to go to 4 stomp mode to patch-scroll. You can switch modes from stomp to presets (or snaps) and you can still scroll up/down in either mode.  Yes, it's one extra press but it's so fast and easy to do it really isn't an issue and seeing 6 FS is way more convenient.  I keep my Pod Go on 6 footswitch settings and use the FS7/FS8 for 'extras'  (typically) the same function in every patch I need it eg volume boost FS7 or amp gain boost FS8.  For some patches I might set FS8 for two different delay times.  But if you use FS7/FS8 differently in every patch, because you can't see what these do on screen, you'll never remember esp in a gigging situation, what they do on each patch.  So, as an extra to be used 'simply' these are fine, but I do wish Line 6 had given more flexibility and visibility here and I'd really like these to enable patch-scrolling in 6 stomp mode. 

BTW, by default FS2 is set to the FX loop. But (assuming you don't need an external pedal in the patch) you can set this to do something else in each patch eg a pure volume boost for lead solos (ie it lifts volume regardless of what other FX you have on/off), which you will see on screen (in 6 FS mode). You can also set any FS to be multi-function eg lift volume, gain, and change delay time all in one go - but (ex FS7/8 which don't display) your display will show 'Multi' and currently there's no naming facility (a common request L6 is aware of) to show what it does. 

So my simple wish list is:

FS7/8 - show on screen

FS7/8 - allow these to patch scroll

Multi FS settings - give some naming facility

These would help make Pod Go much more flexible & gig friendly

12 hours ago, voxman55 said:

When you say 7/8 expansion, I'm assuming you are referring to FS7/FS8 - to do this you'll need a double momentary footswitch (or 2 singles) . You need to set up Pod Go as per p29 of the manual and you'll need a TRS cable.  The FS7/FS8 will not show 'on screen' in stomp mode, and can only be used to either switch an FX on/off or alternate between settings eg min/max values.  AFAIK, you cannot scroll through pre-sets with these pedals (if you find otherwise PLEASE let me know!) which is a real shame, but if you set Pod Go for 4 footswitch plus up/down scrolling (instead of 6) these will give you the other 2 footswitches. 

But here's the problem. If you've created a patch with 5 or 6 footswitches the 4 that display may not be the ones you need to see, so you may have to do some re-allocation of footswitch position each time in each patch. You also can't see what the FS7/FS8 are set to do, which means the functionality is limited, unless Line 6 can improve it.  Ditto, even if you use one of the displayed stomp switches 

But you don't need to go to 4 stomp mode to patch-scroll. You can switch modes from stomp to presets (or snaps) and you can still scroll up/down in either mode.  Yes, it's one extra press but it's so fast and easy to do it really isn't an issue and seeing 6 FS is way more convenient.  I keep my Pod Go on 6 footswitch settings and use the FS7/FS8 for 'extras'  (typically) the same function in every patch I need it eg volume boost FS7 or amp gain boost FS8.  For some patches I might set FS8 for two different delay times.  But if you use FS7/FS8 differently in every patch, because you can't see what these do on screen, you'll never remember esp in a gigging situation, what they do on each patch.  So, as an extra to be used 'simply' these are fine, but I do wish Line 6 had given more flexibility and visibility here and I'd really like these to enable patch-scrolling in 6 stomp mode. 

BTW, by default FS2 is set to the FX loop. But (assuming you don't need an external pedal in the patch) you can set this to do something else in each patch eg a pure volume boost for lead solos (ie it lifts volume regardless of what other FX you have on/off), which you will see on screen (in 6 FS mode). You can also set any FS to be multi-function eg lift volume, gain, and change delay time all in one go - but (ex FS7/8 which don't display) your display will show 'Multi' and currently there's no naming facility (a common request L6 is aware of) to show what it does. 

So my simple wish list is:

FS7/8 - show on screen

FS7/8 - allow these to patch scroll

Multi FS settings - give some naming facility

These would help make Pod Go much more flexible & gig friendly

On another note   I’m finding the PG presets very “hot” and oriented to the more heavy distorted end of the spectrum. Any hints. Also I’m running into a SSL 2+ interface and some Presonus 8E studio speakers. In an effort to get a more real sound I just bought a Katana 50 2 with a power amp in connection. It’s pretty good after I bumped the power amp up 3db at 60 Htz. Do you advocate adjusting the PG global eq to get rid of the “fizziness” in the unit ?

once again many thanks. My first modeling experience after 40 years of live work

You should be able to get great tone without touching the Global EQ but I don't think that's the problem if you are getting fizziness and finding the sound too hot - that's likely to be an input signal issue.

I'm using Pod Go with Audio Technica ATHMX50 headphones, and for live sound through a Headrush FRFR 108 powered speaker, and it sounds really, really good through both.  So this isn't the Pod Go but must be what you are using it with. 

• Global EQ is unlikely to affect the hot fizziness you are referring to  because It sounds as if you have some kind of external boost going on (but there's no harm in experimenting to see - it's easy to return it to default settings) . 
  • When you say "Katana 50 2 with a power amp in connection" do you mean that you are going into the FX loop return of the Katana and using it as a power amp, or do you mean you are using the Katana in conjunction with an external power amp?  Is there a control /setting on the Katana to switch the FX loop dB output eg a different setting for rack mounted or normal floor pedals?  If there is, make sure it's set for the lower floor pedals setting (the fx loop in my Marshall Valvestate 8080 has a 0dB & -20db switch)
  • Is this hot fizziness on every factory pre-set, or only on pre-sets you've either tweaked or loaded down from the Custom Tone site? 
  • Are you getting this hot fizziness just through your amp set-up or headphones too?  If it is the same through headphones, are you using a good quality studio-monitoring type headphone that deliver more of a clearer FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) tone?
  • Also, what guitar and pickups are you using - are these particularly hot pickups or active e.g. EMG's?  
  • Are you connecting Pod Go with a standard instrument cable, or a stereo TRS balanced cable (with my FRFR108 I use the latter for better tone)

I'm afraid that without being in front of your gear and seeing how everything is connected & set, it's difficult to know where your problem is.