Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What to expect

Hatman777

Hello all so I’m going to be selling my Boss GT100  nd will be getting the helix LT  while  I do like the boss  very much I’d like to upgrade to the helix, so I’m wondering what can I expect as far as tone improvement compared to the GT100

also is the helix a good match with the Headrush frfr8 which I currently use ?

thanks all for the input

21 minutes ago, Hatman777 said:

Hello all so I’m going to be selling my Boss GT100  and I do like it very much, so I’m wondering what can I expect as far as tone improvement compared to the GT100

also is the helix a good match with the Headrush frfr8 which I currently use ?

thanks all for the input

Really!

You ask “what can I expect as far as tone improvement compared to the GT100?”.

Sorry “Hatman777”, only you can be the judge of that, I can’t help you, as I don’t know what you expect.

You really need to check this stuff for yourself.

Lots of people using the Headrush, among other brands - once more it’s a personal decision.

These are personal preferences - things only you can decide.

Hope this makes sense!

• Haha 1

It sounds like you're not just asking for advice, but asking for a guarantee.

There's NO GUARANTEE you'll like Helix, so here's my advice:

You like your GT100 VERY MUCH. DON'T SELL IT!

Buy a Helix from a store with a good returns policy. Play it every day until you're SURE that you like it better than the GT100.

THEN sell the GT100.

THEN buy the FRFR108 from the same store and play it every day until you're SURE that you like it.

There are DOZENS of potential alternatives. Just because someone on a forum says "SOUNDS GREAT!" doesn't mean you won't think it sounds like lollipop.

IOW - I like BLUE. If you like RED but buy something BLUE because I said BLUE is better, you might just be an idiot. Sound, like color preference, is entirely subjective.

Now, FWIW -  I've had my Helix Floor for 4 years. I think it's great. I've had my FRFR112 for 2 years. I think my Powercab112+ sounds better.

The combination of the two sounds best. YMMV.

Ahh no guys,  was not asking for confirmation just if it’s a better unit tone wise. Seeing it’s a step up  I’m sorry if I phrased it wrong  as you know there are so many different opinions on the internet and well I figured this is a line 6 forum so was just wanting some feedback is all. As well I can’t really try it and even if my local store had one it would be hard to test  and I already own the Headrush will plan to keep it for a while then I’ll probably upgrade to the line6 powercab

thanks

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hatman777 said:

Ahh no guys,  was not asking for confirmation just if it’s a better unit tone wise.

Well, when you put it that way, BLUE ABSOLUTELY sounds better than RED, all day every day! No need to try it out, just buy it!

SERIOUSLY, we're not trying to be wise-asses. TONE (SOUND) is SUBJECTIVE. If you don't understand the difference between OBJECTIVE and SUBJECTIVE, google it!

AND - If you buy the Helix, RTM! Knowledge is POWER!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Hatman777 said:

I’m sorry if I phrased it wrong  as you know there are so many different opinions on the internet and well I figured this is a line 6 forum so was just wanting some feedback is all.

Well, as you have just discovered, this Line 6 forum is unlikely to give you the answer you are looking for - it’s full of differing opinions - that’s what forums are.

You should heed the advice from “rd2rk”, in the post above. Hang on to your Boss GT and get the Helix on approval to do a side by side comparison. No one on here would advise you to part with a big chunk of cash for an unknown quantity.

You really need to have hands on experience of the thing.

We’re really not being negative - this is a big investment, not to be taken lightly, because you may be attached to the thing for years. I have had my Helix  floor for 4 years and don’t regret a minute. I’ve been using this stuff since the original “Kidney Bean” and still own a HD500 and XT Live, so my option may be biased. Although I have previously owned a Boss GT6 and have stacks of other outboard gear, there is no way I could offer a recommendation. You really have to decide for yourself.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I think sonically it's quite a noticeable step forward, minus perhaps a few things. Boss is doing pretty great FX - and that's already true for their older modelers. Some of the Helix FX will perhaps fall a bit short. Anyhow, as the others already said, you will be the only person to really decide.

Whatever, what I'm wondering about a little bit: Why did you go for the Helix instead of the GT-1000? I mean, you're familiar with the Boss modeling platform already, you're likely also familiar with Tone Studio already and you might as well be familiar (and happy) with some of the FX. For me, the GT-1000 would be quite a logical step forward. As said, just wondering.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hatman777 said:

Ahh no guys,  was not asking for confirmation just if it’s a better unit tone wise. Seeing it’s a step up  I’m sorry if I phrased it wrong  as you know there are so many different opinions on the internet and well I figured this is a line 6 forum so was just wanting some feedback is all. As well I can’t really try it and even if my local store had one it would be hard to test  and I already own the Headrush will plan to keep it for a while then I’ll probably upgrade to the line6 powercab

thanks

I think the problem in asking what you're asking is that YOU are the main variable in all these equations.  Whether the Helix performs better than your current system depends entirely and solely on your skills and very little else.  I have no doubt the Helix has far greater technical depth in how you can form your signal chain, but whether the results are better will depend on your knowledge and technical skills for arranging and configuring all the pieces of your signal chain to produce the sound you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I think the problem in asking what you're asking is that YOU are the main variable in all these equations.  Whether the Helix performs better than your current system depends entirely and solely on your skills and very little else.  I have no doubt the Helix has far greater technical depth in how you can form your signal chain, but whether the results are better will depend on your knowledge and technical skills for arranging and configuring all the pieces of your signal chain to produce the sound you want.

Exactly. Skills and knowledge, gained through experience. Don’t expect the Helix factory presets to sound ‘better’ (to you, using your external equipment) than the GT100 presets that you’ve spent a lot of time creating and tweaking to your personal taste. Learn to build your own presets using Helix and then compare the sounds.

• Like 1

Sorry most of the replies have sounded like a bunch of jerks.

Hatman777, when you get your Helix....don't use the factory presets. They are garbage.

First off tell me what sounds you use...I personally play a lot of classic rock. So I use a pretty heavy crunch rhythm (a bit more distorted than AC/DC) and a liquidy thick mid rangey lead sound. And my third sound is a nice Fender-ish clean. 

And that's all I need. 

My Helix sounds awesome doing those tones. 
I also own a Boogie TC50 amp and a Bogner 4x12 cab that I use whenever I can at a gig...but the Helix damn near sounds just as good to me onstage and definitely sounds as good through the Front Of House PA system.

EDIT: I use a BOSE LT frfr to monitor myself at some gigs, a JBL Eon 15 wedge monitor at other gigs, and Ultimate Ears In-Ear Monitors at yet other gigs. Sounds great in all of them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As Robbie said, Helix factory presets are....well, like any unit's factory presets, more geared towards a bland showcase of the models.  I have not actually used a GT-100, but I took a peek at the manual and the specs out of curiosity.  Obviously, first thing to do is upgrade the firmware, so you get the full range of models; the original Helix firmware is almost laughable compared to Helix 2.92.  In comparison, the number of amp, distortion and effects models the Helix currently has crushes the GT-100.  Just as important is the increased flexibility of routing compared to the GT-100.  You can route effects, amps and cab sims in most any order you want, as long as you don't run out of DSP.  In terms of DSP, you can actually space things out between 2 separate DSP paths that can be routed in serial so you can avoid running out of DSP.  I use this for when I want to combine a preamp and full amp model to create a jury-rigged "unique" model (e.g. in my case, I've created my attempt at a Dumble SSS, as well as a Frankensteined Soldano/Friedman hybrid), and then have another full amp on the 2nd DSP path as a second channel.  There are just a ton of options available.  In addition, the amplifier models have controls for things like power tube sag, tube bias, and bias "excursion", which essentially means that each amp model can be modded "internally" in ways that most of us unskilled plebes could never do ourselves with the real thing.  Finally, you can stack more than 1 effect of the same general type; if you want, you can send a Fuzzface into a tubescreamer, or layer a Dimension chorus on top of a CE-1 chorus effect....or both if you want.

The tricky part is that it's almost as easy to make a crappy sound with all these parameters available as it is to make an awesome one.  In other words, there is a definite learning curve, and you need patience and a willingness to research how the real life models work.  For example, your first impulse for the Mark IV model might be to crank the bass control if you want that sweet Metallica sound.......but dig into the specs a bit, and you'll find that the bass control should be set low, as it pumps a lot bass into the input stage ahead of tubes, causing massive flabby mud....instead, you should crank the bass on the graphic EQ settings on the last page of the amplifier's settings.  Speaking of EQ, always be ready to use at least 1 separate EQ block.  Finally, keep in mind your method of output makes a HUGE difference.  I prefer to plug it into a clean tube amp.  Others prefer a digital audio workstation (which I feel sounds a little too tame and processed for my tastes), or a flat response full range studio speaker.  For those options, you may need to check out impulse responses to make things sound a little more like "the real thing", or spend some significant time trying out the built-in cabinet modelling options.  For the in-house cabinet modeling, I highly suggest using the dual cabs option to give the sound more depth and variety; even though I use a real amp and its speakers for output, I actually still use the cab modeling to add an extra layer of filtering and depth.

Don't expect to immediately plug and play; you will just get frustrated if that's what you think you can do right away.  If you spend the time needed, however, the results are worth it.

• Like 2

Ah  Yes I agree with The fact it Will Be My Skill Which Will determine the outcome and i'm well aware that presets are lousy so i guess what i meant to say are the amps and effect better as far as fidelity goes,  and OFC My Boss gt-100 Presets I worked on will sound better since i tweaked them to my liking and i plan to do the same with the helix  And well from all the research i've done read and watched im pretty sure the helix is a step above the gt100 especially that Snapshot feature :) 

Thanks all for Your Input and I look forward to Building patches with My Helix

• Thanks 1