Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Greyed Out Models???

z3albw1rr

So, just got mine today.

Was shocked and completely let down that you can't access some models in some combinations.

It's like there are 50 Delay Models, but if you use 3 other pedals or this particular Mod pedal, you can only access 10 of those Delays.

That's kind of, well, disingenuous.

Does anyone have any kind of information on what will affect what?

Like if I want the Electric Mistress, is there anything predictable that will make it not available?

I suppose - suppose - there's enough stuff in there that I can compromise and pick the FX I don't actually want to make it work, but...

I think you just hit the dsp limit. Every pedal has its own cost in terms of dsp power it requires, some more and some less. Pod go has only one processor compared to the helix stuff, so the power available is not "infinite". But I guess that even if you have "only" ten delays to choose from, you can pick one of them and be satisfied. 

3 hours ago, cristt said:

I think you just hit the dsp limit. Every pedal has its own cost in terms of dsp power it requires, some more and some less. Pod go has only one processor compared to the helix stuff, so the power available is not infinite. But I guess that even if you have "only" ten delays to choose from, you can pick one of them and be satisfied. 

Modern MFX devices like the Line 6 Helix, Pod Go, Mooer GE300, Zoom G11 etc all use 'dynamic' DSP rather than 'static' DSP.  If you are used to 'Static' DSP units eg Vox Tonelabs, Boss GT3/GT5, Digitech RP6 etc etc then it does require a 'mind shift'.  The aim is to give you much more choice and control, and way higher quality amp, cabs, effects etc rather than a more limited selection, so you choose what models to select.  Heavy DSP users are eg spring reverbs and certain amp models eg Jumped Plexi.  Once you get your head around it, it's actually rarely a problem because by changing eg a spring reverb to a room or chamber reverb, or choosing a different amp eg a non-jumped version, you free up DSP. to use elsewhere. 

Think of it as having a container that can hold up to a litre, but no more.  If you choose a room reverb, that will take up more than a third of your container.  If you went for a room , hall, plate or chamber reverb, it would only use up 13.6% of your container.  A multi-head delay would use 25% of your container, but a simple delay would only use 7.6%.  A Brit Plexi Jump amp would use up nearly 41% of your container whilst a non-jumped Plexi,  JCM800  or Marshall Super Lead 100 are around 34-35%.  But a Supro amp uses up less than 18%.  And so on.  

There is a really good chart that Ben Vesco put together (see link below - look at the Pod Go column) & he has a youtube video explaining all this.  When I first discovered this, I also thought 'WTF' and there's a post of mine here on this very subject.  But in practice, when creating patches, I rarely have any issues.  But if you choose the heaviest usage amps, reverbs & delays/FX you could find  that you run out of DSP quite quickly and rather than having (up to) 4 user blocks you might be down to 3 and in extreme cases 2.  The thing is to go by what you hear and like rather than assuming a spring reverb is 'best' (trust me, there are other great alternatives!). 

But there are lots of forum and you-tube 'tricks' to help you get the most out of your DSP allowance - eg using an EQ as a distortion boost, and instead of adding a distortion boost for that lead solo, kicking in amp gain (even with different EQ settings if you want), and instead of loading 2 delays (one long, one short) you can use the same delay for both by changing the delay time, mix settings etc all via a single footswitch.  You can use snapshots to bring these changes in and/or use stomp footswitches - and  In this regard I have two extra footswitches connected to give me even more flexibility here.  As you get to learn how Pod Go works (and do watch tutorials/vids - there's a ton of info out there!)  you'll realise how flexible it is, and the DSP really won't be a problem.

Pod Go's a brilliant, very flexible & high quality unit that gives you (except for 3 very heavy DSP models) exactly the same models as Helix.  But it's been designed for a particular market sector at a more budget cost and because it only has a single DSP chip, there are some compromises - so if you want the extra processing power, plus the ability to run more than one amp/cab, and more than 4 user blocks, you'll need Helix or Helix LT.  but these are more expensive, and are a lot bigger and heavier!  Most users agree that the display on Pod Go is actually better, and there have been more than a few Helix/Helix LT users who are selling and buying a Pod Go because many users are simply not using all the extra things these units can do, and want something smaller, lighter & simpler to use. 

https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

What is strange is that you can remove (and I only had a single amp-CabIR, compressor in USE others added not on but couldnt swap many amps, I removed the pedals and could swap and then add back on firmware 1.12 (editor 1.11), I dont even run the reverbs or delays onboard on PodGo (use computer).

What?  Likely bug then.  using voxman's link, some amps cost 40%, and modulation or other effects can be as high as 30%, even some distortions are almost 20%, dynamics 15%, so it's still possible to run out without reverb and delay.  Or not being able to choose a more expensive amp if you're using expensive effects.  Plus it's not on/off, it's just whether it's in the block in the chain or not.

@z3albw1rr, take a look at this chart: https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

Look at the last column (which is for POD Go, other columns are for Helix-class devices). On your POD Go, you can use any combination that adds up to 100% or less. In general, I recommend totally ignoring this chart and the percentages. I only ever consult it when I get in a jam and run out of "room" and need to figure out what I can optimize to fit that last delay in there. Most of the time I don't run out of power.