Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX 3.0 and polyphonic synth

mtumi

Have seen a lot of chatter about HX 3.0 and polyphonic pitch shifting capabilities.  Does anyone have any idea how soon we can expect 3.0, and what the chances are of seeing polyphonic synth options (as opposed to just pitch shifting)?  

thx

M

Best guess would be a NAMM announcement and release ‘soon’ after. Soon could mean anything in the 2-6 month range, if history is your guide ... There is TGP thread about Helix 3.0 if you want feel the pulse of the waiters!

Enjoy what you have. Polyphonic Synth does not sound like something high on the priority list - not claiming any insight or knowledge.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:44 PM, mtumi said:

... what the chances are of seeing polyphonic synth options (as opposed to just pitch shifting)?  

While others focus on your question of "when", I'll focus on this excellent part of your question! 

Most guitar players are more focused on polyphonic pitch shifting... while some (like you & I) are hoping for enhanced synth options. 

The key to both of these is polyphonic pitch detection. Once that is established within the Helix, let the "wishlist" explode with options.

Strictly speculation, but I think Line 6 will start with what most people want (pitch shift), then expand it from there. I doubt we will see better synth options with 3.0, but the door might be open to push for them in a future release.

I would also like to add that although I would love to see enhanced synth options within the Helix, I can also respect that the majority of guitar players would likely find it to be a waste of resources. Something tells me the "synth updates" would be a side pet project for one of the developers more than a scheduled update with a lot of money invested in it. 

On 8/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, codamedia said:

...I can also respect that the majority of guitar players would likely find it to be a waste of resources. Something tells me the "synth updates" would be a side pet project for one of the developers more than a scheduled update with a lot of money invested in it. 

Respectfully I think there may be considerable interest in better synth options. Hard to tell without a poll. I cast my vote "Yes please".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Respectfully I think there may be considerable interest in better synth options. Hard to tell without a poll. I cast my vote "Yes please".

I totally agree.  I don't need another amp or distortion box.  If you can't craft the sound from the existing helix offerings, what will another amp or distortion box do?  I also want more polyphonic options!  Also more of the specialty pedals would be great too - like the Jangle Box or Hedris offerings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I hope you are right about this... I am certainly in the "yes please" camp as well!

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

More than enough distortion/fuzz and guitar amps. More bass choices would be nice. However synth,filters and pitch I would consider the MOST important areas to add effects. Reverb could use some new models too.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, talonmm said:

I totally agree.  I don't need another amp or distortion box.  If you can't craft the sound from the existing helix offerings, what will another amp or distortion box do?  I also want more polyphonic options!  Also more of the specialty pedals would be great too - like the Jangle Box or Hedris offerings.

I also would prioritize more synth and polyphonic options over amps and distortion right now but hey, if L6 were to throw us more synth/polyphony AND also more amps and effects, well, I definitely wouldn't question that decision. :-)

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I'm 100% on board for more synth stuff. We have enough amps and effects unless they wanna throw us some more ambient/experimental type effects like glitching and stuff! To be honest I'm quite a bit let down about it not having more synth stuff considering how guitar synth stuff has exploded lately. I have a boss sy-1000 and gk pickups and can use external synths like my hydrasynth and wavestate etc... with it but it would be nice if helix got in the synth game. If helix could do great synths it would be powerful with that and variax. It would be a boss sy-1000 on steroids where you could conjure up awesome synth tones, acoustic guitar stuff, alt tunings, different modelled electrics and bass etc... I can do all that with sy-1000 but I'd love to be able to do it all in helix instead and be more powerful with 4 signal paths (instead of 3 in sy-1000) and more fx blocks in helix 32 (instead of like 15 in sy-1000) and helix routing and fx loops and stuff would just make it a killer over sy-1000.

If helix got to the point of having strong polyphonic synth options that are great I would drop my gk pickups and sy-1000 and get my a variax but it would have to be much better than sy-1000 before changing. Able to sound good, split strings, great alt-tunings, good filters etc.. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BrockDavisson said:

If helix got to the point of having strong polyphonic synth options that are great I would drop my gk pickups and sy-1000 and get my a variax but it would have to be much better than sy-1000 before changing. Able to sound good, split strings, great alt-tunings, good filters etc.. 

I would think that is asking a lot.... Roland has a 35 - 40 year head start in the guitar synth world over Line 6 :) 

Kidding aside, I agree with your post completely. Another thing that could change things (for me anyway) would be pitch to midi. With polyphonic pitch detection.... if those pitches could be converted to MIDI I could simply utilize any one of my synth/sound modules as needed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, codamedia said:

Kidding aside, I agree with your post completely. Another thing that could change things (for me anyway) would be pitch to midi. With polyphonic pitch detection.... if those pitches could be converted to MIDI I could simply utilize any one of my synth/sound modules as needed. 

I have been using MIDI Guitar 2 to do this for a few months now. It works well enough for my purposes. To have what it does built right into the Helix would be fantastic.

• Like 2

Up!

Helix is awesome, though not perfect (yet?)

I agree that Helix synth options are underdeveloped. I think it is the only weak feature versus its direct competitors.

I really hope they fix that in next firmware update.

As a major bonus, they could invest in more bass features. Especially synths for bass! Then, I guess the pedalboard would be complete

• 8 months later...

Re-asking the question almost a year later…  VERY happy with line6’s continued updates, but now that polyphonic pitch shift is out, I continue to wonder if we’ll see a point where a separate synth pedal like the c4 or boss sy-1 are less necessary for people who like those sounds.  it would def be paid upgrade-worthy for me (altho I dont want to discourage line 6’s model of the gift that keeps on giving, which is fantastic and im sure wins them loads of fans)

While I do believe the step to go from a Poly Pitch Tracking to MIDI Note Out, isn't a huge leap from a developing standpoint, I guess we're not gonna see synth modules being added anytime soon. Niche of a niche, and plenty of alternatives already out there.

Said that, I'd be more than happy to see Helix doing Poly Pitch to six/poly MIDI Note Out. Would be perfect companion for my Zoia...Well, already is, but I'd say Zoia is the perfect companion for  the HX family devices...:)

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...