Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Actual Helix 3.0 news (kind of)

brue58ski

Was there ever any appetite for including POD XT/X3/HD effects with the Legacy Effects? They seem to all come from the M-series pedals. My X3L had some different stuff that was kinda cool and useful.

What about Legacy amps? Whether the old models were accurate enough is one thing but I never had a problem making the thing sound "good". Maybe a bad model is still a good sound *shrugs*

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, zappazapper said:

Was there ever any appetite for including POD XT/X3/HD effects with the Legacy Effects? They seem to all come from the M-series pedals. My X3L had some different stuff that was kinda cool and useful.

I could be wrong... but I think the HD Effects were essentially the M Series... maybe with some minor variances. 

I could be wrong again... but I think the XT/X3 were the same effects as the DL-4, FM-4, DM-4, etc... If so, some were ported over to the HD/M Series and would be included as legacy, but other may have been dropped completely. 

If I am wrong, I hope I am corrected :) 

On 11/13/2020 at 2:37 AM, TheBoyWithDog said:

Was it any good?

Can you tell us about any features?

My dream only covered the 2 new blocks I'm about to unlock for the stomp :) it was offcourse a thing of beauty when not using many heavy-weight blocks, the rest of the new features laughed at my newb lollipop. I just wish I could swap channels of my 6505 with the command center feature but I guess it's not possible without buying something like the voodoo labs control switcher. Still learning a lot about this awesome machine☺️

On 11/11/2020 at 10:52 AM, codamedia said:

I could be wrong... but I think the HD Effects were essentially the M Series... maybe with some minor variances. 

I could be wrong again... but I think the XT/X3 were the same effects as the DL-4, FM-4, DM-4, etc... If so, some were ported over to the HD/M Series and would be included as legacy, but other may have been dropped completely. 

If I am wrong, I hope I am corrected :) 

https://c3.zzounds.com/media/English-56d23172d2f4f614d378952e9d534c5b.pdf

There are a number of effects that are on the X3L that don't seem to be part of the M-series/HD/Legacy effects. Square wave choruses and flangers. Random wave choruses and flangers. "Lumpy Phase". "Tape Eater". Boss MT-2 "Metal Zone" as opposed to HM-2 "Heavy Metal". "Lux Spring", "Standard Spring", "King Spring". A bunch of different stuff. Like I said, it's possible, like the current legacy lineup, that these are "inferior" models but I used a lot of this stuff and it's just more tools in the toolbox.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Osse said:

My dream only covered the 2 new blocks I'm about to unlock for the stomp :) it was offcourse a thing of beauty when not using many heavy-weight blocks, the rest of the new features laughed at my newb lollipop. I just wish I could swap channels of my 6505 with the command center feature but I guess it's not possible without buying something like the voodoo labs control switcher. Still learning a lot about this awesome machine☺️

https://amtelectronics.com/new/amt-fs-2midi/

I just got this little box a few weeks ago. 2 channel footswitch with MIDI in and out. You can use Command Center to send CC messages to it to switch your 6505. I use the Instant commands to control my amp with Snapshots without having to take up a footswitch on the Helix. It also sends CC messages to the Helix but Bypass Assign doesn't work the same way with MIDI as it does with the built-in footswitches on the Helix - meaning that you can't have some blocks turn on and others turn off for a given switch state...  so you can't, for example, turn ON an effect when you switch to your clean channel. With Controller Assign you can define a Min and Max value so for blocks that have a Mix parameter there is a workaround, but not for anything like an amp model or a distortion. I have a thread and an IdeaScale idea that seeks to add the ability to define block bypass behavior with incoming MIDI. If you think this little switch would be useful to you and the ability to control blocks as you switch channels would also be useful, maybe you'll consider upvoting my idea.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Incoming-MIDI-CC-Bypass-Assign/1001069-23508

4 hours ago, zappazapper said:

https://amtelectronics.com/new/amt-fs-2midi/

I just got this little box a few weeks ago. 2 channel footswitch with MIDI in and out. You can use Command Center to send CC messages to it to switch your 6505. I use the Instant commands to control my amp with Snapshots without having to take up a footswitch on the Helix. It also sends CC messages to the Helix but Bypass Assign doesn't work the same way with MIDI as it does with the built-in footswitches on the Helix - meaning that you can't have some blocks turn on and others turn off for a given switch state...  so you can't, for example, turn ON an effect when you switch to your clean channel. With Controller Assign you can define a Min and Max value so for blocks that have a Mix parameter there is a workaround, but not for anything like an amp model or a distortion. I have a thread and an IdeaScale idea that seeks to add the ability to define block bypass behavior with incoming MIDI. If you think this little switch would be useful to you and the ability to control blocks as you switch channels would also be useful, maybe you'll consider upvoting my idea.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Incoming-MIDI-CC-Bypass-Assign/1001069-23508

Thanks, I actually read your post about the footswitch a few days ago. I was looking briefly for alternatives of MIDI footswitches and came over your post. The reason I would want to be able to switch 6505 channel in a 4cm setup is however when it's done together with turning blocks on/off for lush cleans and then straight back to brute rhythm tone for example. Looks like it would not be possible with the amt?

23 minutes ago, ossianott said:

Thanks, I actually read your post about the footswitch a few days ago. I was looking briefly for alternatives of MIDI footswitches and came over your post. The reason I would want to be able to switch 6505 channel in a 4cm setup is however when it's done together with turning blocks on/off for lush cleans and then straight back to brute rhythm tone for example. Looks like it would not be possible with the amt?

Well, yes and no. No, you currently can't, for example, press a button on the FS-2 to switch to your clean channel and have it turn ON a block, assuming your amp switches to the clean channel when the switch connection is open. But you can use the Command Center to send a CC message to the FS-2 to switch your amp to the clean channel when you press a Helix footswitch to turn a block on. And you can use Instant Commands in the Control Panel in combination with Snapshots to turn blocks on and/or off and switch your amp channels how you want. Basically anything you can do with a unit like Voodoo Labs Control Switcher you can do, with the added benefit of having dedicated switches for your amp channels and reverb, EQ, etc. The only thing you can't do is use the FS-2 to switch your dirty channel ON and a block OFF, or vice versa. Maybe someone at L6 will see my idea and think it makes enough sense to do it regardless of the lack of interest from the online community when 3.0 comes out, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Barring some kind of miracle, I'm using it any way I can, which generally means Snapshots.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:50 AM, TheBoyWithDog said:

Hx stomp does so much that it’s insane. I often debate in my head how two stomps can have unique advantages over a floor. So I have an unsubstantiated guess for thought about 3.0 - What if dark horse is two smaller presets, instead of one, where you can switch the preset of one dsp chip while you play on the other? Not sure how possible that is on a single unit but it’s possible with two stomps, an external switcher and some timely foot switching.

It’s a cool performance-based advantage of two smaller units and if it were updated to a bigger unit then it would require two dsp chips(technically already does).

Had to throw it out there!

I predicted the dark horse feature. You’re welcome.

• Upvote 1