Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix input cutting in and out

th365thli

Hey guys, so I already opened a ticket for this, but was wondering if you guys had this issue as well.

This issue is annoying because it's very intermittent and cannot be consistently reproduced. Essentially the input will start to cut in and out before finally cutting out permanently. What's weird is that if I just turn the unit off and wait a few hours, it will have resolved itself. I initially thought it could've been an overheating issue, but I play in my room, not a hot stage or outside. The Helix does sit between my desk and my Saffire 18i20, but I wouldn't think heat would be an issue......

It was a tough situation with support because Line 6 asked for a video of the issue, but it was so intermittent it was tough getting one. Well I finally was able to record the scenario:

- I have already verified it's not a guitar issue, nor a cable issue

- The helix outputs to my audio interface. Audio interface to the two speakers you hear in the video

- It's not an audio interface issue. Audio interface is outputting sound correctly, and you can see on the Helix screen the output meter is going wacko. Headphones to the Helix confirms this. 

Any takes? 

I've had the same problem and yes, it is totally intermittent. A preset will go silent, and going to a different preset and back usually clears it up for me.

Lately, I've also seen the selection square that moves from block to block disappear completely.  The joystick still moves the selection, but the indicator square is gone. Weird.

3 hours ago, DonSpiegel said:

I've had the same problem and yes, it is totally intermittent. A preset will go silent, and going to a different preset and back usually clears it up for me.

Lately, I've also seen the selection square that moves from block to block disappear completely.  The joystick still moves the selection, but the indicator square is gone. Weird.

For me it cuts sound for everything and changing presets doesn't fix it. It literally just happened right now as I'm typing this. I can also hear some faint static. It's gotta be a hardware issue i hope....just waiting on line 6 to respond. 

3 minutes ago, th365thli said:

For me it cuts sound for everything and changing presets doesn't fix it. It literally just happened right now as I'm typing this. I can also hear some faint static. It's gotta be a hardware issue i hope....just waiting on line 6 to respond. 

I take it that the latest versions and factory reset didn't work? I haven't had this happen in ages.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Not sure if this is at all helpfull but I thought I had the Same issue but I am not 100% at the moment.

I am thinking the issue is someting to do with a particular block for me. Delay, Vintage Swell dips in and out of the Volumn.. The dips are over a long span I think It take 15seconds or so.. and it does feel like it this is what the Delay shouild be doing.. as soon as I use a different delay the issue goes away.

the amp block I am using with this is the Gramatc. Can give more info if required.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anybody who has had this fault tell me how it was resolved, and what the problem was?

This has started happening to my Helix LT: the volume will start to cut out before dropping out completely, to all outputs. Cycling presets doesn't work. Sometimes the output will disappear, the outputs meters do not register anything, but the tuner will still detect an input. 
I've reset the machine, updated the firmware, deleted all the presets I made to ensure the problem wasn't a corrupted preset, I've tried numerous instruments and cables, all inputs including the returns, and the fault still occurs. 

Any advice or replies from anyone who had this issue and resolved it would be much appreciated. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think Line6 will approve of my response, but here goes my experience.

Bought my Helix a few months back off of Reverb used. Loved it right from the start. But I noticed that my guitar jack was loose on the front of the unit. So I hand-tightened the nut and carried onwards. 

A month or so later I moved the unit out of the Gator case it came in and set it sideways so I could fit it in between two desks. That was when it started randomly cutting out. Being an electronics person, I immediately suspected my potentially crappy rewire job on my guitar. I thought this because it typically happened when I really struck the strings fairly hard. However, after some testing with another amp, I just couldn't make it happen. Switch back to the Helix and it would start happening again. 

After some research and debugging, I noticed that guitar jack was loose again on the Helix unit. So I opened up the top cover of the Helix and noticed that the guitar jack feeds into a small A/D conditioning board. That board appears to be supported by the guitar jack and a metal structure on the side of the case. Short story long: that board was flapping around because of the loose guitar jack and was now in an awkward position. I straightened it out and tightened down the jack by hand.

If I had to guess, I would say that board is not necessarily shorting out or something by being in that position. Rather it is more likely the board being in an awkward position makes something mechanical in the jack not make contact. Again, just a guess.

It has been weeks now and I have not had an issue (although I may have just jinxed myself). I will post an update if it comes back.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so the cutting in and out problem did indeed come back some weeks after my earlier post. I am going to revise what I said in my original post: I do believe that this is a design flaw in the Helix. Further, I believe that the guitar conditioning circuit is shorting out against the metal case.

If you look at the attached Picture #1, you can see the input conditioning board attached normally. The board fits into a punched sheet metal slot and is secured via the 1/4" guitar jack. The board fits fairly deep into the slot. Picture #2 is the same board pulled out of the mounting slot. What you see is an electrolytic capacitor towards the top of the board and some exposed circuit pads. I believe this circuitry is the culprit for cutting in and out. Picture #3 shows my current 'fix' for this: some cheapo electrical tape that is wrapping all of the offending circuitry. I have had this in place now for several weeks with no issues.

The reason I believe this is a design flaw is because it relies on several tolerances of the Helix enclosure to be correct. As an example, the main chassis needs to align correctly with the front bezel of the Helix. Another example would be how well the punched sheet metal slot tab is bent inwards. Because the input board is only secured via the guitar jack connector, there is room for the board to move depending on various factors. 

This would explain why some folks have this issue and others do not: it all comes down to how your unit was assembled. It also explains why folks notice this issue when they are playing 'hard'. Vibration of the Helix unit can translate into the input board vibrating and having quick 'shorts' against the metal chassis slot. My Helix is located right next to a powered speaker, so it is not surprising this happened if my theory is correct. 

As per my previous post, I will keep y'all posted. 

Helix Picture 1 - Copy.jpg

Helix Picture 2 - Copy.jpg

Helix Picture 3 - Copy.jpg

@drummer1174 

I have not had the issue come back (yet). I have been cranking up quite a bit lately testing out some drum tracks and playing along with them. I have a Headrush powered speaker right next to the unit and a set of 8" monitors (playing the drums) to the right of the Helix. I play the Helix with my guitar almost every day. 

I would give my fix a shot. It will literally take you 10 minutes to try it out and most of that is removing the screws from the case. The most you are doing is further insulating the board electrically. If you don't feel comfortable putting tape on the circuit board, tape off the mounting bracket. Taping the bracket is just a tad more challenging in my opinion to get it right. Just follow good ESD habits like touching a ground before you go digging around in the Helix unit.

Good luck my friend.