Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2t Vibration And Rattling.... Noise

My L2m developed this problem - had it just over 3 months - only used it a handful of times - but it's now going back to the dealer and then on to Line6 for repair.  I am pleased they are on to this and have a solution. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

My L2t had the dreaded fan rattle issue ... I had it repaired through Thomann & their authorized Line 6 repair centre (Beats+ Bytes) ... it arrived yesterday ... had a chance to test it last night & voila - the rattle is GONE ... very happy customer  :D :D

Well done Line 6!!!

Cheers,

Wolf

dboomer,

Absolutely delighted that Line6 has resolved the fan issue.  I just got two new L2Ms from Guitar Center about two weeks ago and they both have rattling fans.  I intend to return them and order two with the new fans.  How can I make sure that Guitar Center procures two new speakers?  Is there a serial number range I can request?  Thanks!

Well, I finally received the L2t on June 20 (it was on backorder through guitar center since April 26).   It has the noise issue when I hit an "F" on my Takamine acoustic guitar.  My electrics & variaxes don't seem to make the noise or maybe I haven't played around enough yet to hear it.  I thought all new L2t's shipping out of the factory were going to have the new fan????

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered an L2t from Sweetwater - need it for a small gig up two flights of stairs (!) next Tuesday. I'm told that this is one of the new ones, so I'm hopeful... Couldn't imagine carrying an L3t up the stairs. They need to come with a Sherpa. Or a Roadie. Anyway, intend to use it along with the M20d L3s and L3ts as a monitor. Oh dear, now I'm a full-fledged StageSource club member...

The L2t arrived from Sweetwater as promised, worked well!  I really like the Variax control on the L2t and L3t - they make my Martin sound like it should, and the feedback control is awesome.

The smaller L2t is certainly easier to lug up stairs and set up on a speaker stand. Putting an L3t on a typical stand is a little iffy for one person. The L2t is much easier.

Does anyone have a line on shorter speaker stands? The ones I have are Ultimate pneumatic stands - which are great... I also have a Fishman SoloAmp, which has a small stand made just for it. That would be perfect for small one-person gigs where I don't need a lot of height - but the post is too thick for regular speakers.

Thanks -

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this thread is a bit dated but, it was only a few days ago that I experienced the buzz/rattle on my L2m.

I was using it on a stand as a monitor for a conga player, every time  he hit his low conga the speaker would buzz.

long story short, I found that it was the speaker grill causing the problem. I use a piece of gaffer tape about 1 1/2 foot long around the grill from left to right, across the logo. That removed the buzz. I will soon check all screws to see if that's the real problem

I know this thread is a bit dated but, it was only a few days ago that I experienced the buzz/rattle on my L2m.

I was using it on a stand as a monitor for a conga player, every time  he hit his low conga the speaker would buzz.

long story short, I found that it was the speaker grill causing the problem. I use a piece of gaffer tape about 1 1/2 foot long around the grill from left to right, across the logo. That removed the buzz. I will soon check all screws to see if that's the real problem

Lotsa stuff can make speakers rattle, certainly...but if it's anything like mine, all you need do is turn it round and have the back panel facing you, and play something with lots of low end at stage volume. If it is the fan, it will be obvious. It sounds like it's trying to claw it's way out, and it'll be coming from just behind the fan vents.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone who received the repair taken a look at what they changed? is it just a fan swap? I do not have any reputable repair company's in my area but I am more then qualified to order say a 80mm pc fan and swap it out if that's the case

I have had 3 of the L2's repaired.  I never opened any of them to see what was changed, but have spoken with the tech guys at Line 6.  It was a fan swap, however I don't know if any fan will do.  These are synced to run at various speeds as the degree of cooling changes.  I suggest you reach out to one of them right here in this forum and ask before you change something that will not only void your warranty, but also may not solve your problem.  

Yeah tudscamp is dead on with the above, you can't just use any old fan in these things, they are micro controller speed operated. I saw the units that came out of my L2 pair and I was equally surprised as the tech that they failed the way some of us experienced. The replacement is certainly not superior in specs... except to say that it doesn't sound like a circular saw reenacting a scene from Aliens.

If you attempt to replace with a cpu fan or the like, you will probably be disappointed with the vibration sound from it. Worth more hassle trying to find a compatible fan when the techs at Line 6 already did the QA on this one.

Just for another result - my L2ts returned with a vibration sound imediately after having the fan swap out performed. I was ready to lose my cool pretty hard and realised it was a slightly different sound than the first. Had me and my friendly tech stumped for a while until he opened the unit another way and noticed the little cable that attaches to the stand switch seems to be exactly routed to just brush the cone of the speaker. after removing a litle of the cladding it was plain to see that there was too much slack on this cable. I taped the cable back to the stand top hat and haven't heard the sound since.

Just another weird rattling sound removed from these speakers. They sound so much better without that buzz :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah tudscamp is dead on with the above, you can't just use any old fan in these things, they are micro controller speed operated. I saw the units that came out of my L2 pair and I was equally surprised as the tech that they failed the way some of us experienced. The replacement is certainly not superior in specs... except to say that it doesn't sound like a circular saw reenacting a scene from Aliens.

If you attempt to replace with a cpu fan or the like, you will probably be disappointed with the vibration sound from it. Worth more hassle trying to find a compatible fan when the techs at Line 6 already did the QA on this one.

Just for another result - my L2ts returned with a vibration sound imediately after having the fan swap out performed. I was ready to lose my cool pretty hard and realised it was a slightly different sound than the first. Had me and my friendly tech stumped for a while until he opened the unit another way and noticed the little cable that attaches to the stand switch seems to be exactly routed to just brush the cone of the speaker. after removing a litle of the cladding it was plain to see that there was too much slack on this cable. I taped the cable back to the stand top hat and haven't heard the sound since.

Just another weird rattling sound removed from these speakers. They sound so much better without that buzz :)

Hmm I just noticed my L2T (whose fan was replaced mid 2014) is rattling again. This is getting so old.  Haven't really studied the new buzz to determine if it's same as the original fan buzz. Maybe it's the cable slack thing U hit.  Think I'm just gonna get a second K10 and sell this thing. It's just not worth the headaches.

I'm curious how the tech opened it up to get to the spot that you're describing.  Already had the fan replaced once, and the rattle was still there. Not quite as loud, but definitely not gone. It's currently on it's way back to L6 for Repair 2.0 (first time being done at an "authorized service center"). I shall reserve judgement until I get it back...but if it's still a problem, I might consider trying what you described myself, as I'm currently underwhelmed with the official "fix".

Hey cruisinon,

There are two sections to the box, one vented area on the back where the fan resides with the power supply and the back on the amp and mixer interface. The other section is the sealed resonant chamber where the driver lives. Take the driver out by removing the screen first and have a look at the cladding and the top hat wiring. You'll see how close that wire is to the driver as it moves back and forth. On mine it was close enough to warrant taping to the back of the top hat stand recess. Once I did this and put the thing back together, no more buzz. Whether the vibration was here or elsewhere I am not 100% but I I can repeat the process so I'm happy with the fix. You might be able to get to it from the blank cover on the side two but it is too tight for my hands

Hey cruisinon,

There are two sections to the box, one vented area on the back where the fan resides with the power supply and the back on the amp and mixer interface. The other section is the sealed resonant chamber where the driver lives. Take the driver out by removing the screen first and have a look at the cladding and the top hat wiring. You'll see how close that wire is to the driver as it moves back and forth. On mine it was close enough to warrant taping to the back of the top hat stand recess. Once I did this and put the thing back together, no more buzz. Whether the vibration was here or elsewhere I am not 100% but I I can repeat the process so I'm happy with the fix. You might be able to get to it from the blank cover on the side two but it is too tight for my hands

Cool thanks...hopefully it won't be necessary, but I'm prepared to give it a shot if need be. I've managed to successfully replace fried motorcycle clutch plates (and I'm no mechanic), so I figure I can probably accomplish this if I had to...just a little easier with a map. Thanks again.

• 11 months later...
Hey.

The topic is quite old. I read everything, and I'm curious if further there is a problem with these speakers? I am a guitarist. I used the HD500, HD500X and recently bought Helix. I connected it always directly to the PA. I decided to try to develop my system simulation to play live without ear monitors. I need a good monitor stage for rehearsals and small club gigs. Interested in this topic for some time and I am looking for information about such equipment. Buying L2T would be a good option for me because of the Line 6 Link system, the weight of the speaker and Speaker Mode. Is described fault L2T in this topic are further? I'm going to see soon the speaker and of course check whether it had this trouble with resonance and rattle at low sounds. It can, however, recommend another solution? I should focus on Friedman ASM-12 Active Monitor?

The fan rattle problem in the L2 speakers was fixed in production a long time ago. New units manufactured since that time do not have this problem.

However, it is possible that some older faulty units may still be in a dealer's inventory. So there is still a small chance that you could buy a new unit that was manufactured prior to the fix. If that happens Line 6 will fix the unit it under warranty.

Thank you for the information. Before buying, if I decided, I will try to check the serial number of the speaker to make sure that the device has an improved cooling system. I am very curious if I can accept this kind of listening for the electric guitar. Ear monitor works very well in the concert. After six years of using I appreciate this solution. I know, however, that many guitarists have a problem with that. Experienced guitarists know what's going on. Yet another matter is when you listen to the electric guitar in the monitor stage. It is a different feeling from listening to a guitar amp :-)