Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Low volume when running stomp direct.

Samdbl

New to using the stomp direct into board. Ive tried several different patches with different amp models. No matter what, I'm getting low output. The volume knob on the unit is cranked and I still have to gain way up on the board to get even moderate volume. What do I have set wrong?

Also, should I use a DI box?

Your Output Level should probably be set to LINE. A DI is not necessary, as the Outs are Balanced, and it only makes a difference in noise level (not Output Level) at over 20'.

I run mine into a small mixer, then into a Sony 2x6x10 bookshelf stereo. With the Stomp master wide open (Unity gain), and the volume on the board at 1/3 (board master 1/2 way, bookshelf volume cranked), it's hitting 85db at about 4ft from the speaker. That's using the 2204 (amp+cab) at it's default master and channel volume settings, Output level at (default) 0db. If I put the master on the board up to 3/4 my neighbors would call the cops (apartment dweller). Just for kicks I just did that, and it hit 95db! I don't dare turn up the channel volume on the board, it might melt the speakers! My Helix Floor goes into a PC112+ (volume at a little over 1/4), hits 85-90db. at 6ft and with the db meter off axis. Unless the unit is somehow defective, it's not the Stomp.

What are you using for board/amp/speakers?

I've run it through two things. My little Mackie board and speakers, as well as a huge board and sound system at a large venue. There must be something set weird within the gain structure. There seem to be so many options for volume adjustment

47 minutes ago, Samdbl said:

I've run it through two things. My little Mackie board and speakers, as well as a huge board and sound system at a large venue. There must be something set weird within the gain structure. There seem to be so many options for volume adjustment

Start by setting the Output Level in Global Settings>Ins/Outs to LINE. For simplicity in this exercise use the L/Mono Out to a single channel on the board. Create a simple preset with just (for comparison) the 2204 Amp+Cab with the default settings and the Stomp Master knob maxed. On the board, with the Channel and Master Volumes OFF, turn up the Channel GAIN knob until the Clip Indicator Light on the Channel starts to light up on a big power chord hit hard, then back off a hair. That's your optimum Input level (for that preset) on the Channel. Then turn up the Channel Volume to 0db (Unity). Start with the Master OFF. Watch the Master Level lights as you turn up the Master. When they start to clip, turn up the Power Amp. You didn't say what power amp/speakers you're using with the Mackie, but the bookshelf system I'm using is only 180w per channel and 180w to the sub. Set up as I just described, I can only turn the Speakers up half way, and that's 85db - the bottom of the Fletcher-Munson curve. If you Gain Stage the way I just described, you'll be doing what any competent sound tech will do in a Live setting. NOTE: This is why you want to be sure to level match your presets/and snapshots, including any effects like overdrives when they're on. A happy sound man is a good thing!

Since I use Stereo presets, and I'm playing at home, I usually just take the Left and Right outs to one of the Stereo LINE Channels and set it up as described in my previous post. It's just easier to keep the R/L Channels balanced that way, and there's lots of available headroom in the system. I can control the total volume of the Stomp and my backing tracks/Spotify/YT with the Master on the board. Also, the little Xenyx802 I use only has the one MIC Channel anyway.

Further note - if you don't have a db meter, you can get one for most any smartphone. I have an iPhone and use the app from dspmobile.com.set it to slow response and "C" weighting, with HOLD and LEQ OFF. Other apps will likely have different ways of doing it, but it's not rocket science. Get the simplest one you can find for this application.