Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi CC to HX Stomp

joelgiudift

This is my setup. The other day I was checking out the Timeline manual and I found out that each knob and switch will send out Midi CC, if in the globals menu the MIDICT option is ON (aka MIDI Continuous Controllers).
Since I use an expression pedal with it, I turned midict on, so that now the exp.pedal midi cc (#100) is sent to the HX and controls its parameters as well (the midi learn function on the HX stomp is just brilliant)!
I was hoping to be able to use footswitches A and B (cc #80 and #82) on the TL to turn on/off blocks on the HX, but the midi learn on the HX doesn't react to these ,I tryed also to set manually the midi cc to 82, but nothing.

I was doing everything directly on the HX, I dunno, if programming using HX Edit would help.

Can somebody help and have an idea how to make it work?

Note about Timeline's Midi out global parameter (which I have set to OFF) from the manual:

MIDI Through: When set to THRU, MIDI messages that arrive at the MIDI input are sent to the MIDI
output without ANY additional MIDI messages generated by TimeLine. When set
to MERGE, MIDI messages that arrive at the input and those that are generated by
TimeLine are merged together to be sent to the MIDI output. When set to OFF, only
MIDI messages generated by the controls on Timeline are sent to the MIDI output.

IMG_2311.jpg

I replied over on TGP, but here it is again:

I don't have a Timeline, but I set up my FCB1010 to send Toggling (127/000) CC#80 and #82. Learn worked as expected. Is it possible that the Timeline isn't actually sending those messages, or sending them on a different MIDI channel? Try using a MIDI monitor to check what's actually happening when you send those messages from the TL.

16 hours ago, rd2rk said:

I replied over on TGP, but here it is again:

I don't have a Timeline, but I set up my FCB1010 to send Toggling (127/000) CC#80 and #82. Learn worked as expected. Is it possible that the Timeline isn't actually sending those messages, or sending them on a different MIDI channel? Try using a MIDI monitor to check what's actually happening when you send those messages from the TL.

here: https://www.strymon.net/using-midi-control-pedals-2/

A footswitch = MIDI CC# 80 with value 0 when pressed and 127 when released
B footswitch = MIDI CC# 82 with value 0 when pressed and 127 when released
Tap footswitch = MIDI CC# 81 with value 0 when pressed and 127 when released

funny fact: with the tap tempo I was able to turn on-off the blocks on the HX!

A Toggling footswitch sends one message on Press/Release, and another on the SUBSEQUENT Press/Release. If it works as you described, you're turning it ON and OFF in the same Press/Release. That's called a MOMENTARY footswitch, and is the reason why it's not working. Here's the MIDI functions for those switches, from the manual:

A footswitch 80 down=0 up=127
B footswitch 82 down=0 up=127
TAP footswitch 81 off=0 on=127

Note the difference between the actions. A & B are MOMENTARY. TAP is TOGGLING.