Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal is 'overdriven' when plugging in guitar after turning on Pod Go

goldenegg

I got my Pod Go a couple of weeks ago and was struggling with it a bit. What I found was that pretty much all of the stock profiles sounded like they've been set up for distortion and tons of bass. I even had similar experiences with profiles I download from other sources. I'm using a PRS CE 24.

After hooking everything up again this morning, to try a suggestion from someone on Reddit to adjust input impedance, I was shocked to find that everything sounded great. The strange thing was that I hadn't yet changed any settings. I went looking for an impedance setting, what I found instead was a 'Guitar Input Pad' option which was OFF and didn't make a huge difference changing it to ON. I couldn't understand why everything sounded so much better, but then I realized there was one thing I did differently from previous times. I plugged in my guitar BEFORE turning on the Pod Go. I laughed it off at first, since that couldn't possibly be what made a difference. So I powered everything off, unplugged my guitar, powered it back on and then plugged in my guitar. There it was. The overblown signal I was hearing before.

Is this something that's to be expected with the Pod Go? It's not a huge issue if the guitar needs to be plugged in first, but I don't see that documented anywhere. I'm guessing the Go is auto sensing impedance on boot and not specifically when a guitar is connected, which is causing the signal to be significantly boosted.

I must also do something wrong.....

Got my POG GO, 2 days ago...

Use the L/Mono straight to the mixer/pa

It does not sound to good - Very muddy, distorted, bassy...

They say take the factory sounds with a pinch of salt, so I downloaded some patches - Still sounds bad

or nothing near the demos about the pedal you see and hear on the web...

Have also read up a lot and some issues with other users was the cable (Dont use instrument cable)(USE balanced / speaker cable - or 1/4 to xlr)

Also check global settings in the manual pg32

I'm going to try that now...

On 8/29/2020 at 11:28 AM, Thermal23 said:

It does not sound to good - Very muddy, distorted, bassy...

That's the same experience I had. It's no longer an issue for me though, now that I plug in my guitar before turning on the Pod Go. 

Let me know if you end up solving issues on your side. I'd be interested to know what's causing it.

The Guitar in Pad setting is intended to reduce the input signal for active pickups or pickups that are untypically powerful/loud. Kind of like having a Hi & Lo input on a guitar amp.  As the manual says, there are no rules just whatever sounds best.  The other setting to check is the main out level - if you're going through headphones, powered cab, PA this should be set to 'Line'. If you're plugging Pod Go into the front of an amp, set it for 'Instrument'

Tried this myself today. When switching between on/off on the Guitar Pad it is like a Hi & Lo guitar input although not quite as pronounced as on most amps.  I'm happy to keep it off ie equivalent of 'Hi' input, but it's useful to know it's there. 

On 8/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, goldenegg said:

That's the same experience I had. It's no longer an issue for me though, now that I plug in my guitar before turning on the Pod Go. 

Let me know if you end up solving issues on your side. I'd be interested to know what's causing it.

I'm still working on the sounds, but looks like you have to tweak the sounds to work for you - Yup POD GO is not a plug and play (I have discovered ;-) )

My PA is not the best speakers and considering FRFR now as well. Sounds better through headphones...

Let me add.

Still love the clarity and sounds coming from my UX1, Gearbox, But had it for years and understand it. Have to learn to work the POD GO sounds now. It should sound better in time once I got it dialed in ;-) Newer tech, HX sounds etc...

Edited by Thermal23
add on