Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR Recommendations

MSchultzMusic

I've had my Helix about 2 months now and have never used IRs. I'd like to start experimenting with them but don't know where to start and I'm not really sure if I understand what they are. I mean I think i do, but it'd be nice to learn more about them from someone who understands them fully and uses them regularly. 

3 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

Then experiment away. Have at it. 

If you don't like the way it sounds, twist the knobs until you do. 
That's the beauty of experimenting. 

I'm not sure you understand my question. I'm looking for recommendations on which IRs I should look at downloading. I have none.

all of them. 

download all of them. 

of course, if you know what you like and don't like in the real world, then you can narrow down that list a bit. 

For example - do country musicians need an Engl Invader? Can metal shredders get away with a Fender Princeton? 

In general the cab/speaker/mic chosen represents more than 50% of the sound of an amp..

the external IRs (very similar in concept to the cab/speaker/mic models already included in Helix which are also derived from IRs) are useful simply to have a greater number of different cabs/speakers/mics to choose from.

When you choose an internal or external (IR) cab/speaker/mic you do it only according to the sound you are looking for when you pair it with a certain amp, in general there is no IR that is better than another, they are all different, but there are certainly those you would personally prefer based on the resulting final sound when you finally hear them.

the problem is that you cannot know in advance (unless you have already experienced it) what the final result will be when you match a certain IR to a certain amp (plus there are several other variables involved, but let stop here).

So any IR needs to be tested personally to see if based on your taste/needs it really fits well in a certain pairing

If you want you can read a short explanation about IRs given by Ownhammer (well known IRs maker) here: https://www.ownhammer.com/tutorials/general/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 7 months later...