Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

OwnHammer - overwhelmed, help!

aaronpenton

Hi guys. I recently purchased Helix Native and am loving it. I use it with Logic Pro X. I'm happy with the clean and OD sounds, but am interested in taking the crunch factor to the next level with some OwnHammer IRs. Good grief are there a lot of products there. I'm looking for that Hetfield crunch mostly. It seems the ones that make sense are the California Duo, and the Heavy Hitters packs. I also read up a bit on the Line 6 Players packs - which I guess are just a little simpler, less choices. That appeals to me -as even the amount of choice there is ridiculous.

Any recommendations? The Line 6 Player packs have the Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12. What's the major difference between these 2? I own an actual Rectoverb head and 2x12 cab. Is the quality of these as good as the straight OwnHammer packs? And what about the 4x12 Fman player pack? I know nothing about these cabs.

So I suppose, long story short, I am looking for that tight, massive Hetfield crunch, and I think (please correct me if I'm wrong or there are better choices) I'm looking at the Line 6 4x12 or 2x12 Rect player packs, the California Duo or the Heavy Hitters (1 or 2).

Sorry, that's loaded (pun intended). I'm new to IR's and Helix, so my apologies. Any feedback/advice appreciated, thank you!

16 hours ago, aaronpenton said:

Hi guys. I recently purchased Helix Native and am loving it. I use it with Logic Pro X. I'm happy with the clean and OD sounds, but am interested in taking the crunch factor to the next level with some OwnHammer IRs. Good grief are there a lot of products there. I'm looking for that Hetfield crunch mostly. It seems the ones that make sense are the California Duo, and the Heavy Hitters packs. I also read up a bit on the Line 6 Players packs - which I guess are just a little simpler, less choices. That appeals to me -as even the amount of choice there is ridiculous.

Any recommendations? The Line 6 Player packs have the Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12. What's the major difference between these 2? I own an actual Rectoverb head and 2x12 cab. Is the quality of these as good as the straight OwnHammer packs? And what about the 4x12 Fman player pack? I know nothing about these cabs.

So I suppose, long story short, I am looking for that tight, massive Hetfield crunch, and I think (please correct me if I'm wrong or there are better choices) I'm looking at the Line 6 4x12 or 2x12 Rect player packs, the California Duo or the Heavy Hitters (1 or 2).

Sorry, that's loaded (pun intended). I'm new to IR's and Helix, so my apologies. Any feedback/advice appreciated, thank you!

Yeah im sure you ARE happy. If youre new to IRs (and thats all i use, HX cabs dont work for me at all) i think you'll find over time you'll develop a bit of a catalog, for lack of a better term at the moment. The cool thing is that redwirez, ownhammer, york G12M25 IRs sound completely different from one another.

Ive owned Helix for 5 years now and stumbling on to a stunning new IR can really open up a lot of doors and make playing super fun. Just when you think your tone is pretty damn good, i'll end up finding a new IR that takes it to another level. Good luck with all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, willjrock said:

Yeah im sure you ARE happy. If youre new to IRs (and thats all i use, HX cabs dont work for me at all) i think you'll find over time you'll develop a bit of a catalog, for lack of a better term at the moment. The cool thing is that redwirez, ownhammer, york G12M25 IRs sound completely different from one another.

Ive owned Helix for 5 years now and stumbling on to a stunning new IR can really open up a lot of doors and make playing super fun. Just when you think your tone is pretty damn good, i'll end up finding a new IR that takes it to another level. Good luck with all that.

hey, thanks for the comment man. That’s exciting to think about. Fortunately this is a relatively cheap form of GAS. I’m just blown away by the difference from the stock cabs or even the free IRs I was using. Very, very musical sounding, and yes, a lot of fun to play. Inspiring. I’m also blown away by how the guitars sit in the mix...very glued in, if you will. 

I’m turfing all my previously recorded guitar parts (mostly Guitar Rig) and redoing with Helix and OH. Too much fun!

What are some of your favourite Helix amps and OH IRs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aaronpenton said:

hey, thanks for the comment man. That’s exciting to think about. Fortunately this is a relatively cheap form of GAS. I’m just blown away by the difference from the stock cabs or even the free IRs I was using. Very, very musical sounding, and yes, a lot of fun to play. Inspiring. I’m also blown away by how the guitars sit in the mix...very glued in, if you will. 

I’m turfing all my previously recorded guitar parts (mostly Guitar Rig) and redoing with Helix and OH. Too much fun!

What are some of your favourite Helix amps and OH IRs?

I find i like ownhammer IRs for original tones and redwirez for classic sounds that i grew up hearing. I havent liked a whole lot else but im trying to. Pretty much anything can be EQ'd into submission.

Over all the the original marshall checkerboard from OH is my favorite. Then various redwirez. Heavy Hitters vol 1 (havent tried vol 2)  For amps i tend to like mid to high gain...more mid gain, i like to hear most every note in bigger chords....as far as amps go i like all the usual suspects, placater,  both JCM 800s, Engl, revv, Park 75, Badonk. Theres a lot of good stuff there but honestly the cab is where its all at. Ive gotten tones i like out of most every amp.

You said it well by calling it "a cheaper form of GAS" i completely agree with that but man ive tried a TON of IRs and im pretty tired of getting stuck with stuff i DONT like or wont use. It starts to feel like a waste of money. It really seems like a very individual thing speaking of what IRs people like.. I dont like celestion IRs at all but Pete Thorn will tell you their some of his favs. Same with HX cabs. 

Im still on the fence about the York audio stuff. He has some very bold sounding cabinets but the EQ needed to make these cabs sound right to my ears is the complete other end of the spectrum of what im used to..which is darker OH files. I tend to feel most amps sound best at the very edges of their capabilities. ie: adding a bit of gain because the mids are maxxed out.

I dont know... just babbling here :)

Hey guys, while you're at it - what would be the IR recommendation for melodic lead playing, shredding and fusion (Vai, Satriani, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed etc)? I learned *not* to listen to other people's recommendations because they seem tailored to rhythm and metal playing and don't work for me. So, now i thought i'd ask specifically...

I like fat, warm, but very lively and expressive sounds with bite, probably medium to high gain. I don't like too much crunch and grind. :)

My favorite Helix model ATM seems to be the Friedman.

5 hours ago, s_popov said:

Hey guys, while you're at it - what would be the IR recommendation for melodic lead playing, shredding and fusion (Vai, Satriani, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed etc)? I learned *not* to listen to other people's recommendations because they seem tailored to rhythm and metal playing and don't work for me. So, now i thought i'd ask specifically...

I like fat, warm, but very lively and expressive sounds with bite, probably medium to high gain. I don't like too much crunch and grind. :)

My favorite Helix model ATM seems to be the Friedman.

I think what you're wanting may be more related to the mic combinations and placements than the cabinet choices.  To my ear the cabinet type such as a Vox with Blue Bell speakers or a Marshall basket weave cabinet will favor a certain type of recognizable tone, but the mic combination with determine the clarity, articulation, and overall body of the tone.  I personally favor a combination of ribbon (Royer R121)  and dynamic (Sennheiser MD421) for full bodied, warm responses.  Some of my most used IRs are the Ownhammer massively mic'd IRs like those on the Marshall basketweave collection, particularly the Brown Sound mic arrangements.