Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The fabled list of compatible expression pedals for hx stomp, please.

Samdbl

I have the hx effects and the hx stomp. I like them both, but I have experienced one nightmare after another trying to make external expression pedals work. I have tried a few Volume and expression pedals from various companies including some of the most common ones (vp jr, being one). All seem to have a notorious incompatibility that causes the 0-100-0 sweep. After months of trying to get these pedals to work, I finally got one to work with the hx effects. The hx stomp is a different story. Please, for the love of god, just tell me what pedals work with this damn thing so I don’t have to keep buying and returning, or worse yet getting stuck with them. And it would be really swell if it’s not some custom built, $300 pedal that can’t be ordered from a typical music store (ie mission). I’m looking for the cheapest solution. In the endless research for this error, I keep seeing mention of a list of compatible models. But I can never find the actual list, can someone post it? Or better yet, sticky the damn thing.

I had a Roland EV-5 lying around since about 10 years. In its original state, plugged in directly it has worked after tweaking the Global Settings on the HX Stomp (v2.92) accordingly.

Not sure if it really worked that well when using a Y cable though. Perhaps I ended up using some patch "TRS-to-TS" cables in between, don't remember.

Hence eventually I've modified the EV-5 anyway, removed its silly firm TRS cable, installed a TRS socket instead, plus a small switch to vary the socket between TRS and "true" TS mode.

Now I'm using a Y cable for the EV-5 in TS mode on tip for pedal 1, and an old switch on ring for FS5. Works flawlessly.

ev5mod.thumb.jpg.cc056ff76fc5dea3b7ce53f19a0c771b.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Samdbl said:

In the endless research for this error, I keep seeing mention of a list of compatible models. But I can never find the actual list, can someone post it? Or better yet, sticky the damn thing.

Fabled list? The unicorns stole it!

Cheap and easy solution that works for me, and many others, is the inexpensive M-Audio expression pedal. So low priced you could have several for the price of one Mission pedal - plus it does the job exactly the same.

Downside: Plastic, not metal case, although quite resilient.

https://m-audio.com/products/view/ex-p

I have 2 hooked up to my floor model and they’re used every day.

There were discussions here - no fables though

And here

Plus this one 

And finally

10 hours ago, Samdbl said:

it would be really swell if it’s not some custom built, $300 pedal that can’t be ordered from a typical music store (ie mission). I’m looking for the cheapest solution.

The M-Audio EX-P is the cheapest solution I can think of ... roughly $30.

There are two modes and a side pot... you need to find the correct positions but it works fine once you do. 

The Line 6 EX-1 would be the easiest... just plug it in and it works without trial and error. This one is still under $100.... I think I got mine for $40 on the used market.

Ok, the saga continues. So I got the M Audio, and it works great. However, it has the cable attached. So I can't figure out how I can also get another input so that I can use my footswitch for tap/tuner. The M Audio has a cable integrated into it's design, so I can't do the normal Y cable method. Any ideas?

Sidenote: over and over I see that the Line 6 wants to see TS instead of TRS cable for expression and such... but the M Audio, the first that I've found that works correctly with this unit, is using a TRS cable. What's up with that?

Sidenote # 2: My trusty VP Jr works just perfectly with the HX effects. Why wouldn't this be universal across the line? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samdbl said:

So I got the M Audio, and it works great. However, it has the cable attached. So I can't figure out how I can also get another input so that I can use my footswitch for tap/tuner. The M Audio has a cable integrated into it's design, so I can't do the normal Y cable method. Any ideas?

Y cable > TS-female-to-TRS-female adapter > M-Audio cable

That's how I made the EV-5 (see above) work at first before even modyfing it.

5 minutes ago, Samdbl said:

Sidenote: over and over I see that the Line 6 wants to see TS instead of TRS cable for expression and such... but the M Audio, the first that I've found that works correctly with this unit, is using a TRS cable. What's up with that?

I think it's because the recent firmware updates got smarter in detecting the "nature" of an expression pedal. My modified EV-5 plugged in directly in TRS mode works flawlessly with v2.92. But when used with a Y cable, it needs to be in the TS mode.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, lou-kash said:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=TS-female-to-TRS-female+adapter&iax=images&ia=images

yeah, but none of those really specify ts to trs. In fact, I did just get one of the ones on that picture line up, and it’s still not working. I got a female to female coupler that will link two male 1/4 cables... and it says tr and/or trs. But yeah, it’s still not working with the y cable setup. Is there something more specific I need?

this feature is so silly. They should’ve just put another pedal input on the unit as a posed to some hyper specific thing you have to scour the earth for to make two of the most basic features work.

16 minutes ago, Samdbl said:

but none of those really specify ts to trs

Um, I haven't analyzed those search results myself. That was just a gentle hint that a specific internet search may help you find what you need.

You could also solder an adapter yourself. That's what I do since decades.

If you don't know how to solder, ask your friends/relatives/neighbors if someone can do it for you.

Since this connection is not transporting any audio signal, there's not much that can actually break if something is connected incorrectly. Either it will just work or it won't.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:39 PM, Samdbl said:

it has the cable attached

That's the problem with those cheap things.

16 minutes ago, Samdbl said:

I got a female to female coupler that will link two male 1/4 cables... and it says tr and/or trs.

That's a good start, but it's still TRS-to-TRS

That means if you plug the TS from the Y cable, it will short the ring and the sleeve from the pedal.

Have you tried all the "EXP/FS Tip", "EXP/FS Ring", "Tip Polarity" and "Ring Polarity" options in the Global Settings?

Depending on how the M-Audio pedal is wired inside, one of these combinations might actually work.

Edited by lou-kash

God of gods after trying a slew of combinations that I had already tried, it finally works.

my last question and I’ll be set for ages: how do I tell the stomp that I want the toe down of the pedal to be less that 10? In other words, if I want my full channel volume to be 6, or something? 

3 hours ago, Samdbl said:

how do I tell the stomp that I want the toe down of the pedal to be less that 10? In other words, if I want my full channel volume to be 6, or something? 

Edit mode > select the effect  > open Menu via Page buttons > Controller Assign > Page Right button > Min Value / Max Value

or

HX Edit > select the effect > Bypass/Controller Assign tab > select the parameter > Min Position / Max Position

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Just rewired a beat up old Ernie Ball VP JR volume pedal with a linear taper 25k pot. Put in a new string just for added fun. Its working perfectly with my Stomp, so I wired a little "fourth" switch on the side of the Stomp for using the tuna in Snapshot mode.

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, carlosferrao said:

My M-Audio used to work perfectly until patch 3.0 (or maybe 3.1?) and then it stopped working, or rather, its values go from 96% to 100%, or from 0% to only 60%, etc.

Any other off-the-shelf exp pedal works?

Strange, I have 2 M-Audio EXP permanently hooked up to my Helix since 2016.

Working perfectly, never any issues.

Possibly a Global reset has changed something.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm using an Ernie Ball VPJr as expression pedal and I'd like to use it to activate or deactivate PolySustain block... In a part it works because going from heel to toes it switches on the block but at the end of the course it switches off again !? Do you know how I can do to only have a on/off action pushing from heel to toes ?

Thanks for your help !