Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The To Be Used Later Usb Port....

darkcloud1

Anyone have any clue as to what the plans are for the USB port?

I have read a few here wishing it would be to charge your device, methinks it could be more than a charging feature.

I am hoping it will be a online editor similar to Line6 POD Edit and line out to Sonar LE. That would be awesome.

Anyone been to NAMM and hear them say anything about the USB?

L8

I saw the post about USB power and it is a shame Line 6 didn't add a female USB Type-A port for charging.  Then again contemporary "iDevices" do hold a decent charge.

The USB Type-B port suggests a future PC interface.  iOS is fine for cord cutting and practicing from the couch, but sometimes you just need a mouse, keyboard and monitor (or a traditional unit with a compliment of physical knobs, buttons and lights) ...

I hope Line 6 reveals more on this soon, but I'll settle for a full manual first.  Sigh.

The charge thing isn't that hard to beat. Just plug in your IOS device, it doesn't have to sit on top of the amp, and besides, the slot is angled straight up and down, when it should be angled back to reach the bottom. I use a stand on top of the amp, the slot is poorly designed.

The manual? agreed, it's more of a quick start manual,  and includes zero information on using the AMPLIFI app. It's centers only on the unit itself.

I'd like to see the USB used for the following 3 things:

1. For powering the iOS device.

2. To provide a direct wired audio connection from iOS device to the Amplifi unit.

3. To provide a direct wired control connection from the Amplifi app to the Amplifi unit.

I've only had my Amplifi 75 for a few hours, and there's a lot that I still need to learn about using it. So far I'm liking it lots. I can appreciate the way it uses Bluetooth, and it is often convenient. But I've also experienced circumstances where wireless is highly unreliable - and typically these are the same situations where you can *least* afford a lollipop-up (ex: playing a set at a venue full of techies who're so loaded down with mobile / wearable devices that the RF spectrum resembles soup). If I were playing a live set at a local coffeehouse, I'd be damn sure I had a Plan B in place in case my iPad began spontaneously disconnecting.

I hope I'm not coming off as hyper-critical - just trying to make a case for future function that I'd like to see.

MrP

I read somewhere that some kid (it was the kid's father who wrote the comment) was able to record AMPLIFI's output into a computer via its USB port ... I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually tried connecting AMPLIFI's USB jack to a computer in an effort to record the amp's audio?

I read somewhere that someone was able to record AMPLIFI's output into a computer via its USB port ... I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually tried connecting AMPLIFI's USB jack to a computer in an effort to record the amp's audio?

This is the Million / Billion Dollar Question!! I was just thinking about that today. I recently revisited the HD500 > PC usb recording interface, and was thinking that should have been one of the prime slot marketing tag lines to the whole thing..

They talk about the mega DSP onboard; it would be nice to hear exactly what that processor power is, in a direct comparison to the HD500 DSP, and the HD500x (which claims to be more DSP than the HD500).

It has been speculated that the Amplifi uses the PodFARM / X3 / XT era models and FX. But it's not implicitly stated or documented anywhere. Common sense would dictate that if the Amplfi was using HD modelling, they would have proclaimed it loud and clear; however, common sense doesn't typically apply when discussing Line 6 Marketing...

So yes, would LOVE to hear if that USB port on the back of the Amplifi does indeed turn the device into a soundcard / interface for your computer.

Ok, the Win 8 laptop sees the USB, it does the little ding thingy.... However, when you go into control panel, you see an orange triangle. Basically, it must have power but no "connection"  programmed.

It is from the Pod Farm database, per Line 6.

Ok, so I connected my MacBook Pro to my AMPLIFI 75 via a USB cable... I then go to SETTINGS > SOUND on the Mac and see that there is now an input option called, ToneMatchAudio [nice so far!)... I then launch Audacity (an open source recording app that I use regularly for digital recording via USB from my VOX ToneLab which works great). When Audacity launches I see an the input option there called ToneMatchAudio (so far this is exactly how I get my ToneLab to record) but, unlike my Tonelab, I'm not able to get Audacity to record any sound via AMPLIFI's USB connector.  I tried a bunch of other little sequence things to get it to work but no luck.  Not sure how that kid I was mentioning was able to get it to work (if in fact he did). I will say this, it does seem like it's close to wanting to work but at this point I can't get it to. I find it interesting that the Mac does show an audio input option called "ToneMatchAudio" when AMPLIFI is connected to it.

Another "adjustable input Z" thing probably.....the capability is there, but making you wait a little while for it and presenting it as a "Free Update" makes it seem special.

Well, let's hope they do this "special" thing sooner rather than later because having a USB audio feed from AMPLIFI to my Mac would be awesome.

Let's just hope they fix some major issues first...such as the flaky bluetooth connection to the actual amp.  I'm tired of turning off my iPads bluetooth, powercycling the amp, reconnecting, disconnecting, launching and re-launching the app 30 times before it finally syncs up.  This is turning into a huge pain for me.

Q: What should I do If I am experiencing connection issues with the AMPLIFi Remote app when I swtich back and fourth between apps on my iOS device?

A: An important thing to note about the AMPLIFi Remote app functionality, is that in addition to the iOS bluetooth connection between your AMPLIFi and your iOS device, there is a secondary 'sync' connection between the amp and the app. Each time you minimize/close the app, the connection between the AMPLIFi Remote app and the AMPLIFi will need to be re-established even if your iOS device is reporting that the AMPLIFi is connected via 'Bluetooth'. In this case, re-opening the AMPLIFi Remote app, will automatically re-establish the connection within a few seconds. Make sure to look at the main menu of the AMPLIFi Remote app and wait for it to indicate that your amp is 'connected' before moving forward using the app. If it does not automatically re-connect, close the AMPLIFi Remote app by double tapping your iOS home key and than sliding the AMPLIFi Remote app window up and off the screen to fully close the app. Than relaunch the AMPLIFi Remote app and it should re-sync itself with the amp. 

Let's just hope they fix some major issues first...such as the flaky bluetooth connection to the actual amp.  I'm tired of turning off my iPads bluetooth, powercycling the amp, reconnecting, disconnecting, launching and re-launching the app 30 times before it finally syncs up.  This is turning into a huge pain for me.

• Upvote 1

Yes.  Unfortunately, not the fix since I've done all the above and more and still can't get the app to sync with the Amplifi.  Simply shutting down the app via doubletapping home and swiping up does not do the trick upon re-launching.  It still says NONE and there's no sync attempt (Amplifi bluetooth light is solid blue).  From my testing so far, it seems that shutting down my IOS bluetooth altogether, powering down the amp, then restarting everything from scratch SOMEtimes works...it's completely random to me at this point.  Sometimes it works flawlessly...immediate connection when turning on the amp....other times, takes me 30 minutes to re-connect.  Again, this is with me powercycling all devices involved and establishing all new connections between the 2 devices.  Just sits there saying "None" until the one magical moment when I see "Syncing" in the app and I go "YAY, I can play now!".

I just got a response from support to try a factory reset on the amp itself.  Did so and I connected immediately...still testing....need to power everything down and see what happens.

Update: good news - shut down the app (swipe up), turned off IOS bluetooth.  Turned it back on.  Bluetooth immediately re-connected, started the app and amp is already synced up and all is good...

Nevermind...powered everything down and turned everything back on as if I had just got home from work and the Amplifi bluetooth immediately connects but it still says NONE in the app under Amplifi.  There's no amp sync going on here...

Update:  Powered everything down AGAIN and it worked this time...

Intermittent problems are always the worst ones to troubleshoot....

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Just got our line 6 amplify 75 today. The USB at the moment appears to be for doing firmware updates.

No news on an update allowing it to be used for anything like recording.

The USB port can be used for recording now. On a Mac, it's a class compliant USB audio device, so you don't need to install any additional drivers. On a PC, you will need to install the drivers. You can download them from here: http://line6.com/software/

You just need to make sure you have the latest firmware installed on the 75.

• Upvote 1

The USB port can be used for recording now. On a Mac, it's a class compliant USB audio device, so you don't need to install any additional drivers. On a PC, you will need to install the drivers. You can download them from here: http://line6.com/software/

Thanks much Phil, that made my Saturday!

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Thanks much Phil, that made my Saturday!

What cord do I use to attach the amp to my computer? I am trying desperately to download the updates on this thing (it's a gift for. My boyfriend) and I have no idea what I am doing. Any help is greatly appreciated. (I am logged in under his name, but don't worry he never checks this email unless he is looking for something specific). I have the Amplifi 75 and a mac computer. I also have an iPad and an iPhone if that will help at all? Thanks so much!!

Download the Line6 Updater for your Mac and use a regular USB chord like you would for a printer.

Example: https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable--Male/dp/B00BCWALHM

You can also use an iPad or iPhone via Bluetooth, but it takes much longer.

Also download the AMPLIFQi Remote app for your iPad from the Apple store.