Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Needing sound quality help

david_muzyk

G'day everyone,

So I've had my Helix for a few months and whilst i've loved playing around with it, one thing I've really failed with so far is getting a simple Overdrive (OD) sound I love. I've had a crack with Jason Sadites how to build a tone videos and they sounded just ok (mainly the quality from my end). I even bought six of his packs seeing as I really like the OD sounds in the videos show casing the patches I purchased. The problem I'm having is I just can't seem to get the same sound from my helix even though I've not tweaked the purchased patches. I'm happy to persist and tweak the patches I bought, however I thought maybe it's how i'm listening to it that is the problem. I currently listen through a set of Pre Sonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones or a Samson D412 400 Watt Powered Speaker Cabinet. Today I found playing through the Samson D412 was an improvement, but still average at best (I'd never consider gigging with it based of off the current sound). 

Is it just simply...I'm not using the correct gear to play the helix through? Would the problem I'm getting most likely be solved with a FRFR? 

Cheers everyone. 

Three things spring to mind :-  you, your guitar and the input pad!

If you're chasing his OD sounds then your guitar needs to have a comparable output level to Jason's and the i/p pad affects that too, I don't know if Jason has it on or not.

Your playing makes a big difference too, I've yet to find a patch that can make me sound like David Gilmour!

Craig

• Like 2

Could you record some snipplets of the sound you're not happy with? Ideally along with:

- A DI track (just your guitar as snagged from the Helix' USB 7/8 signal path).

- A kind of description of what you don't like (and how you would like it instead).

That way, people could a) get an idea of what might not be after your likings (verbal descriptions only go this far) and b) possibly have a go at some improvements.

• Like 1

I agree with the comments thus far.... no need to say it again, so I'll expand more on your monitor situation. 

Your headphones would be great for tracking and/or quick reference... but I'm not so sure I would expect great tone from them.

I can't find a frequency chart for that samson speaker, but I often find speakers like that to be overly contoured (scooped) in tone. Using one of Jason's presets, is your result boomy yet shrill at the same time, with no thickness or depth? If so, that's a tell tell sign of a box with too much contour.

Another problem might be your expectations. If you are used to having an amp by your side the Helix with a full range speaker is not the same! The tone you get from the latter is that of a "miced up amp", not an "amp in the room". It takes a while to get used to that difference.

On 8/31/2020 at 1:33 AM, david_muzyk said:

G'day everyone,

So I've had my Helix for a few months and whilst i've loved playing around with it, one thing I've really failed with so far is getting a simple Overdrive (OD) sound I love. I've had a crack with Jason Sadites how to build a tone videos and they sounded just ok (mainly the quality from my end). I even bought six of his packs seeing as I really like the OD sounds in the videos show casing the patches I purchased. The problem I'm having is I just can't seem to get the same sound from my helix even though I've not tweaked the purchased patches. I'm happy to persist and tweak the patches I bought, however I thought maybe it's how i'm listening to it that is the problem. I currently listen through a set of Pre Sonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones or a Samson D412 400 Watt Powered Speaker Cabinet. Today I found playing through the Samson D412 was an improvement, but still average at best (I'd never consider gigging with it based of off the current sound). 

Is it just simply...I'm not using the correct gear to play the helix through? Would the problem I'm getting most likely be solved with a FRFR? 

Cheers everyone. 

David,

I have been using the Helix for several years and every time a new firmware upgrade is pushed out I feel like a novice all over again.  With the 2.92 firmware update I have found a few things that helped me.  One of course required money even before the 2.92 which was the purchase of the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250k headphones as I found anything below the 200k just didn't give me a realistic sound match to actually playing direct to PA with my patches.  I don't know what the ohm rating is on your headphones but it could be in the 40k ohm that was a problem for me with other headphones.  I don't have nor have I used a FRFR so I can not speak to that.

Now to the free stuff.  I always search for better ways to improve my sound since I have always lived by the mantra that "I know less today then I knew yesterday".  I ran across a recent video by Jason Sadites and used it with the latest Helix floor I purchased.  This was a changer for me and I have created his stock template to move forward.  You said you have purchased his patches so you may have this already.  I am adding one more video next and my final thoughts will be in closing after that.

Next I have used the information from this video by Steve Sterlacci.

I am taking the bits and pieces from these to create my new patches since our group is on hiatus until 1) we find anew drummer and 2) some gigs open up.  I use my headphones while listening to the patches as well as, for now, Jason's Lonestar patch. I then add the EQ shelf in a recent video from Jason (append "watch?v=72DlinRw1pM" to a plain youtube link).  The guitars will make a difference and the snapshot allows me to marry Steve's & Jason's concepts while using my ear for the sound I want.  The Helix and the time I've taken to learn in this forum and the channels of the folks here have been rewarding; up until a few years ago I was the "elitist tube sniffer" - boy was I wrong.  Anyway, good luck and you never stop learning and/or creating when it comes to music.

In closing I have watched and learned from many more here in the line 6 helix forum and the youtube channels they have.  David, welcome to an amazing family.  Take your time, ask more questions, and enjoy the ride!

Dennis