Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting an error warning (for lack of a better term) when importing a patch

Sixstringz80

Im trying to import the 80s Anthrax preset, the 2nd preset in Line 6 CustomTone) and it keeps telling me "The IR associated with the following blocks in this preset could not be found in the impulse library, Path 2A, Position 3". Can anyone help me with why this is doing that?

Because you don't have that impulse in your impulse library. It should import anyway, and just use whatever impulse you have in that position in your impulse library. I seem to remember that happening once. Unless you have NO impulse in that position, then I don't know what would happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sixstringz80 said:

Can anyone help me with why this is doing that?

As noted by “rd2rk” in the post above, the Impulse Response associated with that preset isn’t available in the expected slot.

The person who posted the preset to Customtone left this information in the description of the preset. I have highlighted the required IR in bold red text, but whether it is an Ownhammer, 3 Sigma or any other IR creator is not stated. You could swap that for something similar or even the MESA cab in Helix, although it may not sound exactly the same. Plus if you don’t have a Jackson with active pickups it will be different. These things are never what you expect them to sound like - this has been discussed at length in this and many other forums.

“Sig Chain - JACKSON (active PuP's) -HELIX- 2 x HEADRUSH 108's. MESA BOOGIE 4x12 1b I.R. 4 snaps- PHASEY CLN, CLEAN ECHO, DIRTY ECHO and DIRT. uses 2 amps REV GEN RED (dirt) and PLACATER CLEAN (clean) good for almost all 80's Anthrax. (heavy , coherent and yet,... it still chuggs). \m/“

Hope this helps/makes sense.

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

The 1b gives it away as a 3Sigma. The "A" variation is captured using a tube amp, the "B" variation is captured with a "flat" solid state amp.

Doh! - I should have known - I actually have that pack  and it contains a "Position Info" jpg image which shows just that.

88760614_PositionInfo.thumb.jpg.6759a16a4208dfedbbead3aed616c595.jpg

Jesus, all I know is you guys have shown me that I know nothing! Just when I think im starting to get the hang of this monster im thrown for a loop. I think I have 2 IRs in the thing. Im still not even sure I grasp what an IR even is. But I know it came with 2 in the pedal. Being that I use strictly the Helix, A Headrush 108 (or BeyerDynamics DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm) and an ESP M 400 series. Is there certain IRs I should get? Or does the gear not even matter for the IRs and its just preference?

A Helix Cab is a type of IR.

IRs are just cabs created by companies other than Line6. There's hundreds of thousands out there. It's a HUGE Rabbit Hole.

If you want to try some, most companies - Redwirez, Ownhammer, 3Sigma, Celestion, LRS, MLS, Valhalla, and more - have either a FREE or very cheap intro pack.

They can consist of one Cab with a few general purpose IRs or a dozen mics at several distances and cone positions for a hundred or so IRs - for ONE CAB!

A GIANT RABBIT HOLE! I have some of all of those I mentioned, and L6 even has a free pack (Allure).

Have Fun! Go crazy! If you're lucky, you'll be happy with the stock L6 cabs. Many are.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sixstringz80 said:

Jesus, all I know is you guys have shown me that I know nothing! Just when I think im starting to get the hang of this monster im thrown for a loop. I think I have 2 IRs in the thing.

Hey, everyone has to start somewhere, even if the Helix looks like the flight deck of the Starship Enterprise. When there are things you aren’t sure about you can ask in here and usually get pointed in the right direction pretty quickly. You won’t be made fun of when you genuinely don’t know, but it’s usually best to check out the Helix Owner’s Manual thoroughly before falling into the trap of asking about something that is already mentioned in there.

Have fun - there’s not much you can damage. The software may get screwed up occasionally but externally the thing is built like a tank.

Just a (very) quick explanation. IR's are often made by running a signal through the cab/mic. The signal is usually a tone that cycles through all of the frequencies once. The tone is a pure tone so when it is recorded, the recording reflects how the cab reacts to certain frequencies and then Helix uses that recording to simulate that amp. Note that this is a very simplistic explanation and not the only way IR's are created but it should at least help you understand just what they are. Another way to look at it is it's just a very complicated EQ reflecting how that particular amp/cab combination boosts, cuts, frequencies. When I dial in a tone, once I get it close, I will often quickly run through all of the cabs in Helix just to see what happens. There have been enough times that I have found something that fits better that it's another trick I use in my arsenal of tone building.  Back in the day (as you know) you actually had to have the physical cab and mic and would have taken forever to do what now takes less than a minute to do in amp sims these days. Amazing times.

Just thinking of another "trick" to help you create patches. Put the looper at the very beginning of your patch and record your guitar. Then start to loop it. then create your patch.The guitar you record is dry so it will be as if someone else is playing while you adjust you parameters. By doing that you aren't stuck holding the guitar and turning knobs at the same time. I use this a bit as well. Hope all this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/2/2020 at 11:01 PM, rd2rk said:

Yes, that's what happens, I just tried downloading a preset from Customtone with an IR I knew I didn't have, it threw the "error" and used the IR I had in that position.

So, If say, I use one of the 2 IRs in my pedal in place of that IR (Im going to buy some IRs once I get a better feel for this thing and kind of get an idea of what kind of IRs I should even be buying) Is there a major drastic difference? Like, do different IRs create a drastically noticeable difference? Also, do any of you know of any good free IRs out there. So I can get a feel for using IRs before I go and spend 20 dollars on something I have no clue what Im buying?? 

8 minutes ago, Sixstringz80 said:

Like, do different IRs create a drastically noticeable difference?

Yes. They might not sound bad, but they might not be what the creator of the preset intended.

All of the vendors I mentioned have free or cheap intro packs. Try a few with your favorite amps and judge for yourself. "Good tone" is entirely subjective, and what I think sounds great might very well sound like lollipop to you.

@brue58ski's suggestion about using the looper to audition IRs is the hands down best way to do it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Yes. They might not sound bad, but they might not be what the creator of the preset intended.

All of the vendors I mentioned have free or cheap intro packs. Try a few with your favorite amps and judge for yourself. "Good tone" is entirely subjective

What sucks is that Im thinking its my new GUITAR Im not happy with! My $300 Epiphone Les Paul (Slash Edition) is sounding better than my $800 ESP M 400! Or it may be that I just have to get used to working with the drastically different ESP. I think the pickups are too powerful. or at least, more sensitive than Im used to. Thanks tho! Im gonna go search for some free IRs!

10 hours ago, Sixstringz80 said:

What sucks is that Im thinking its my new GUITAR Im not happy with! My $300 Epiphone Les Paul (Slash Edition) is sounding better than my $800 ESP M 400! Or it may be that I just have to get used to working with the drastically different ESP. I think the pickups are too powerful. or at least, more sensitive than Im used to. Thanks tho! Im gonna go search for some free IRs!

Hi,

I guess your Slash Epi uses regular humbuckers and I think that your ESP LTD M-400 will be fitted with active EMG 85/EMG 81 pickups. Those are probably going to require that you turn on the “Guitar In Pad” on your Helix. Find it under the Global Settings > Ins/Outs.

Try that to see if it helps.

Also, bear in mind, any patch you down load from CustomTone will sound different from how the guy who created it heard it. You will be in a completely different environment, different guitar, different strings, different technique, and that’s before even start to take the IRs into consideration. Therefore, any patch not designed to take advantage of active pups will just sound “wrong”. Using a different IR from the one specifically used will possibly make everything sound worse.

The original preset the you tried required the 3Sigma MESA - go and see if that’s available as a freebie first, otherwise you will be blundering around in the dark. 

Get your ESP + Helix built in amps and cabs to play nice before complicating it any further with 3rd party IRs.

Free IRs - start here:

Edited by datacommando
Added link
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:10 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

I guess your Slash Epi uses regular humbuckers and I think that your ESP LTD M-400 will be fitted with active EMG 85/EMG 81 pickups. Those are probably going to require that you turn on the “Guitar In Pad” on your Helix. Find it under the Global Settings > Ins/Outs.

Oh my God! Youre absolutely right!! That is the exact pick up. And its my first time ever having a guitar with pickups that need a battery! Youve just sent me on a whole mission to learn about what active pickups even are. Thanks a lot! You just gave me all the tips I need in one post of exactly where I need to start! I feel like I finally have a direction instead of just aimlessly pressing and turning buttons!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sixstringz80 said:

Hey, on the Sigmaaudio site, The first guitar riff on all the IR demos, anyone know who that is? Badass riff, Id like to learn it!

Well, as it is on the 3Sigma site, the best people to ask would be them. You can email them - 

contact@3sigmaaudio.com

Hope this helps/makes sense

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, C_berg1980 said:

I Have the preset and IR  in the library and still get this when I go to switch presets.

Hi C_berg1980,

I think that, even though you have the correct IR for the preset, you possibly have it installed in the wrong slot, therefore the preset cannot detect it. 

Basically that is what the Error MSG is stating - you really only need to move the IR to the position where the preset expect to see it, or remap the preset to see the IR where you have place it and resave the preset with the updated IR link.

EDIT: See page 17 in the owner’s manual regarding custom IR loading.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a41cde35e68fab84d2fe/application/pdf/POD Go 1.10 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

or this may be better, see pages 9-11

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a411830a5e82b422a0cd3/application/pdf/POD GO EDIT - Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

Edited by datacommando
Added links

• 2 years later...
On 9/3/2020 at 3:39 AM, Sixstringz80 said:

Im trying to import the 80s Anthrax preset, the 2nd preset in Line 6 CustomTone) and it keeps telling me "The IR associated with the following blocks in this preset could not be found in the impulse library, Path 2A, Position 3". Can anyone help me with why this is doing that?

There is probably a bug in your library. I had a similar situation, I had to cancel the import of the library.

• Confused 1