Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd400 No Dotted Delays - Very Dissappointed

AntonisPat

Hi all

I've had the HD400 for about a month and although I'm very happy with its tones I just found out that you cannot set the delays on a dotted time...its either set on a quarter note in tap tempo or you have to dial it in manualy calculating the time...

Am I the only one to find this a MAJOR flaw??

Pedalboards are made to give you freedom ON STAGE, not in the studio where you have the time to set everything as it should be? I mean, what if I want a dotted eighth delay and calculate and arrange the patch on a specific time....and the drummer just plays a little faster or slower..everything will sound out of time..

and this is so in all time-based effects, not just delays. 

I have to say I am VERY DISSAPPOINTED by this...this is a major reason not to buy and not to recomend HD400 to anyone..especially since it was never mentioned in ANY of the product comparisons in the site of Line6..

Dont get me wrong, I'm a fan of line6 products and own several, but this is plain frustrating..

@Line6: Could you make an update and fixthis ?? You can't just go on and advertize versatility and ease-of-use and do things like that..

VERY DISSAPPOINTED.

I don't understand your issue...  Do you have the Tap Tempo global control set right?  Are you saying that you can't tap fast enough to get it to react?  Remember it is a global setting...

See pg 6-12 in the Advanced Guide.

Tap Control

Set this option to Control to have the Modulation speed of your FX2 models follow whatever tempo you "tap" into your POD HD, using the TAP button. Set this parameter to Don’t Ctl and the FX2 models’ Speed parameter can be adjusted to any speed you like, regardless of the current Tap Tempo. The TapCtl setting is a "global" parameter. Also see "Tap Tempo" on page 2•4.

The OP is talking, correctly, about a limitation in the HD300/400 re: tempo. On all POD HD devices the Tap Tempo switch is used to define the 1/4 note tempo. In all POD HD devices except the 300/400, you can select a tempo parameter in terms of note durations that further refines the timing. For instance, you can select the tempo to be dotted 1/8 notes, in which case the device automatically makes an adjustment to the Tapped tempo so that the FX tempo is a dotted 1/8 note rather than a 1/4 note duration. The HD300/400 do not allow you to specify anything other than the default 1/4 note for the tap tempo. Any other tempo has to be manually entered in terms of specific milliseconds. Calculation and subsequent manual entry is required if, for instance, you want a dotted1/8 note delay in 120bpm.

I have no specific comment on his opinion re: the severity of this limitation, but it is real. There are other limitations that I find more troublesome, but that doesn't diminish his opinion of this limitation.

Unless you find new old stock, they seem to have disappeared from the current products list.. so i think the market in general agreed with you.

gotcha! I stand corrected!  I don't know why anyone would buy a 300/400... not worth the small savings.

I used dotted-eighth a fair amount (playing in church), and I have to tap in every delay tempo, whether it's quarter or something else, because we don't play to a click.  I don't consider it a big deal.  You'll pay, what, 1/4 to 1/2 as much as the entire HD400 cost for a delay pedal with that feature?

Mean time, I've gotten pretty quick at subdividing any tempo to tap a dotted-eighth.  I'm sure there's been a lot of threads on this, and you probably already have your own method, but, anyway, here's what I do:  The first 1/4 note, subdivide to 1/16ths.  My (dated, fogey) count from elementary school band was "ONE-ee-and-uh" but use whatever you've got.  On the very next beat, tap to "ONE-ee-and-ONE-ee-and-ONE" at the same tempo you counted the 16ths.  You'll have 3 taps in before 4 stick-clicks have gone by, same as tapping quarters.  Anyway, it's not kept me from using the HD400 for 3 years now.

But, as pointed out, the 300/400 never caught on.  They really didn't click at that price point, and today, they're not competitive even if they dropped them $100.  I posted several times that they should have reconfigured the old 500 as a 400 and dropped it to below the 400 price, but Line6 seems to be closing in on getting behind the curve right now with multi-FX.  Hoping Yamaha does some head-shaping there...

• Downvote 1

gotcha! I stand corrected!  I don't know why anyone would buy a 300/400... not worth the small savings.

Thats exactly what I mean for dotted delays, the tap tempo is set to 1/4 notes.

As for the HD400, my choice wasnt a matter of saving per se, it was more of matching the product to my needs. Since I dont care for dual channels and I'm fine with 3 effects max, I didnt see any reason to upgrade to the HD500.

However in all promotions and product comparisons it was nowhere mentioned that this is missing. If I knew I'd definitely go for the 500, Line6 would get the extra revenue and I'd be happy with my purchase.

I find this to be a major issue and I would really like to hear Line6's reply on this, or get an update patch. Its all S/W so I dont see any reason on why they wouldn't fix this.

Again, very dissappointed. I never expected something like that from a Line6 product - they should at least mention it in the product specs.

They are no longer actively updating the 300/400, they were left out of the last few updates. I don't think there is likely to be a correction on this, as they are no longer selling them.

you want to hear from Line6 you'll need to contact them either through a ticket or a phone call: http://line6.com/company/contact/

Thats exactly what I mean for dotted delays, the tap tempo is set to 1/4 notes.

As for the HD400, my choice wasnt a matter of saving per se, it was more of matching the product to my needs. Since I dont care for dual channels and I'm fine with 3 effects max, I didnt see any reason to upgrade to the HD500.

However in all promotions and product comparisons it was nowhere mentioned that this is missing. If I knew I'd definitely go for the 500, Line6 would get the extra revenue and I'd be happy with my purchase.

I find this to be a major issue and I would really like to hear Line6's reply on this, or get an update patch. Its all S/W so I dont see any reason on why they wouldn't fix this.

Again, very dissappointed. I never expected something like that from a Line6 product - they should at least mention it in the product specs.

Customer support is a lot different than adding new features to a discontinued product.  You are asking for something that was not built into the HD400, nor was it advertised as being built in.  You actually did get what you paid for.

You can dream if you wish, but I don't see it happening.  Sorry.

Try editing the cound in Pod HD400 Edit and use the Multi-Head delay in FX3 and setting the HD 1-2 setting to off and the HD 3-4 setting to HD3 on. This acts as a dotted delay and you can then set the Time control to give you the correct overall delay.

• 2 months later...