Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output Questions

flop54

Hello,

Sorry if i didn't understand how to do this.

I use my helix with two channels : one for the clean signal and one for the saturation. On stage i want to separate the 2 channels. So I use the multi output with the pan parameter on left for the first channel and the right for the second but i can't use with this configuration the phones output because it's horrible.

The only way is to duplicate all the preset with a stage configuration (panned) and a home configuration (not panned).

Is it right?

Right click on each of the Pan parameters - A then B - and assign them to "Snapshots". Switch to whichever snapshot you want to use for the action, center both, save preset, Done! You probably want to switch back to the default snapshot (the one you want to load when you load the preset) and save the preset again.

• 3 months later...

Hello sorry for checking now.

No this is not a solution for me or i didn't understand what you mean.

I just want to have à mono mix option to use :

- the xlr on stage Left = mono clean singal (path A) and right = mono saturation signal (path B)

- the phones at phone with path A and B at center

And i think it's not possible doing that without duplicating all my preset with a stage and home configuration. No ?

So to make sure I'm understanding you. To me the Helix has two paths.. 1 & 2. You can split each of those paths into two parallel paths A & B. Are you talking about Path 1 that has been split into two parallel paths, A & B, or are you using paths 1 & 2 separately and just referring to them as A & B?

23 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Attach an example of a preset and I'll fix it for you.

Here is an exemple. If you play you ear the wha on left and the distortion on right and i want to hear the twice on center but i want to have the wha trought the Left XLR out and the distortion trought the right XLR out.

20 hours ago, brue58ski said:

So to make sure I'm understanding you. To me the Helix has two paths.. 1 & 2. You can split each of those paths into two parallel paths A & B. Are you talking about Path 1 that has been split into two parallel paths, A & B, or are you using paths 1 & 2 separately and just referring to them as A & B?

This is my configuration :

Config.thumb.JPG.a8306141ddac9b3e3d9459637659608a.JPG

The first out is set on left to send only the bass with out distortion

The second out is set on right to send only the distortion

But I think that like this configuration i can't use the helix phones out because i hear a stereo signal and I would have a stereo signal.

So for me there is three solutions :

The first is to have two preset :

- one with xlr out used and panned

- one with phones out used and centered

The second is to use a stuff like this : https://www.thomann.de/fr/millenium_hpa_in_ear.htm.

I plug the helix XLR out on this amplifier, my hearphone too and i use the mono option.

And the thrice is to ask line6 to add a Global option to switch the phones out on a mono signal.

Do you think i have right?

Thank you for your help

Test 2 Channel.hlx

2 minutes ago, flop54 said:

Yes it is what i do now but because i use many snapshot I use two presets for doing that.

I'm sure this is just a language barrier thing, but I have no idea what you're saying.

Are you saying "Yes, that solves the problem"?

OR

"No, I'd like to be taller"?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

I'm sure this is just a language barrier thing, but I have no idea what you're saying.

Are you saying "Yes, that solves the problem"?

OR

"No, I'd like to be taller"?

Language barrier -> the story of my life... Sorry and thank you for your patience!

No that dosen't solve my problem because it's the same for me to have 2 presets or 2 snapshots.

Why do you need the two signals panned on stage? 

Your description sounds like the sound man is getting both the clean and saturated signals and has to blend or switch them for you.  Shouldn't you be sending the sound man the same output as you headphones where you choose to switch between clean or saturated mode yourself?

5 hours ago, flop54 said:

Language barrier -> the story of my life... Sorry and thank you for your patience!

No that dosen't solve my problem because it's the same for me to have 2 presets or 2 snapshots.

You can do the same thing using a Footswitch (attached), but you have to make a choice, to give up a Snapshot or a Footswitch, or use two Presets.

There's no magic global setting that will do it for you.

Test2ChannelMd2.hlx

18 hours ago, OmniFace said:

Why do you need the two signals panned on stage? 

Your description sounds like the sound man is getting both the clean and saturated signals and has to blend or switch them for you.  Shouldn't you be sending the sound man the same output as you headphones where you choose to switch between clean or saturated mode yourself?

Hello this is my friend's (sound man) answer :

Because distortion almost always takes away some extreme low end. Splitting allows you to keep the consistency of your clean signal and the distortion then adds a layer of texture instead of changing drastically the way your tone fits in the mix.

On 12/31/2020 at 2:29 PM, flop54 said:

Because distortion almost always takes away some extreme low end. Splitting allows you to keep the consistency of your clean signal and the distortion then adds a layer of texture instead of changing drastically the way your tone fits in the mix.

Why don't you give him your direct signal and Helix if he knows how you should sound and sit in the mix?
Oh sorry, it does not solve your problem cause your home heaphone sound will be different and panned. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 6:29 AM, flop54 said:

Hello this is my friend's (sound man) answer :

Ah.  I didn't catch that this is for Bass guitar.  It's bass, right?  You're running a clean amp sound and some distortion on top of it. You're not talking about switching between a clean and distorted tone.

---

Now that I understand the need, I would just try to set your two paths to two different output types and pan things center

• Send your Clean out of the 1/4" output (set to Line level in the global settings)
  • Send the Distortion out to the XLR output (set to Mic level in the global settings)
  • Set your Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Headphones Monitor to Multi (1/4"+XLR+Digital+USB 1/2)

This should mean your clean sound is on the 1/4".  He can convert that to a Mic level with a DI box.  Then your distorted sounds come out the XLR.  (Or swap the clean and distorted signal outputs).  Finally, your headphones use both at the same time so you can hear then together and panned center

If your sound man doesn't have a DI box you can get one for as low as like $20 bucks: https://www.sweetwater.com/c957--Direct_Boxes?sb=low2high

---

The headphone jack mono adapter will work too, but you'll lose the ability to hear anything in stereo through the headphones. This will also let you keep any stereo FX if you wanted.  They'll be mono for the sound guy, but stereo in your headphones.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 12:04 AM, OmniFace said:

Ah.  I didn't catch that this is for Bass guitar.  It's bass, right?  You're running a clean amp sound and some distortion on top of it. You're not talking about switching between a clean and distorted tone.

---

Now that I understand the need, I would just try to set your two paths to two different output types and pan things center

• Send your Clean out of the 1/4" output (set to Line level in the global settings)
  • Send the Distortion out to the XLR output (set to Mic level in the global settings)
  • Set your Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Headphones Monitor to Multi (1/4"+XLR+Digital+USB 1/2)

This should mean your clean sound is on the 1/4".  He can convert that to a Mic level with a DI box.  Then your distorted sounds come out the XLR.  (Or swap the clean and distorted signal outputs).  Finally, your headphones use both at the same time so you can hear then together and panned center

If your sound man doesn't have a DI box you can get one for as low as like $20 bucks: https://www.sweetwater.com/c957--Direct_Boxes?sb=low2high

---

The headphone jack mono adapter will work too, but you'll lose the ability to hear anything in stereo through the headphones. This will also let you keep any stereo FX if you wanted.  They'll be mono for the sound guy, but stereo in your headphones.

Yes I'm a bass player!!! :)

Yes you have right it's a good idea! I didn't think about this way! Thanks

• Like 1