Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go stability in question again

voxman55

I'd hoped that the last firmware update fixed the problems in Pod Go.   But I had a worrying problem with my Pod Go today. All of a sudden whilst I was playing the volume slowly started to fade out until all audio was gone. At first I thought it was a glitch in the patch. But it happened with all the patches I switched to.

So I reset back to factory and reloaded my backup which fixed it. But my concern is that this should not have happened and again raises questions about Pod Go stability and reliability for gigging. I think Pod Go is brilliant and I love it. But if I can't trust it at a gig then it may have to go.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, silverhead said:

Very valid concern. Please open a support ticket to make sure Line 6 can try to track this down.

Thanks, did as you suggest and opened up a new ticket, providing 3 backups for them to look at - 1st, 2nd & 6th September

But I had a worrying problem with my Pod Go today. All of a sudden whilst I was playing the volume slowly started to fade out until all audio was gone.

Think the same thing happened to me while editing a patch, seemed like the volume slowly went away, just became softer and softer over a few minutes (1-2 minutes?), and at one point I couldn't figure out why I was getting basically no distortion vs what I had a few minutes ago and I hadn't really changed anything which could have affected it...  But I think it came back after switching the patch, or I just closed the thing and went to do something else... Can't really recall as it happened like a week ago.

4 hours ago, grdGo33 said:

Think the same thing happened to me while editing a patch, seemed like the volume slowly went away, just became softer and softer over a few minutes (1-2 minutes?), and at one point I couldn't figure out why I was getting basically no distortion vs what I had a few minutes ago and I hadn't really changed anything which could have affected it...  But I think it came back after switching the patch, or I just closed the thing and went to do something else... Can't really recall as it happened like a week ago.

Interesting. If you could possibly open up a ticket and send a copy of your back up to Line 6, that might help them replicate and figure out the problem.

• 11 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 6:45 PM, psychreapr said:

I have a similar issue but it's only happening on one patch I have

What amp is everyone using when this happens? I have posted about an issue where the Pod Go has no output in the morning after leaving it on overnight. I returned the first unit because Line 6 could not replicate the bug report and that is what they suggested I do. The same happens on the new unit so it's not a hardware issue. I'm fairly certain it's a bug in the Orange amp.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same or a similar issue. I pretty much gig every weekend, and the Pod Go has been my main rig for a while now. My last 4 or 5 gigs, I have been getting the volume fading out and then back in, or volume cutting out completely. Usually, rebooting the unit is the only thing that fixes it. Doesn't happen in my house when I am practicing. Only at the gigs, but all those gigs have been outside. It isn't just 1 patch or amp, it is all my patches. I opened a ticket with Line 6, but haven't heard back from them.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, blp2119 said:

I am having the same or a similar issue. I pretty much gig every weekend, and the Pod Go has been my main rig for a while now. My last 4 or 5 gigs, I have been getting the volume fading out and then back in, or volume cutting out completely. Usually, rebooting the unit is the only thing that fixes it. Doesn't happen in my house when I am practicing. Only at the gigs, but all those gigs have been outside. It isn't just 1 patch or amp, it is all my patches. I opened a ticket with Line 6, but haven't heard back from them.

From my understanding, this can be related to the sensor in the expression pedal, which can be affected under extreme heat or sometimes direct sunlight. I've read about some people's workaround being protecting/covering the sensor somehow but a simpler workaround, if you don't often use the expression pedal as a volume pedal, would be disabling that function in your presets.

@voxman55 was your problem also when using it outdoors, or was it a different situation?

1 hour ago, skryptus said:

@voxman55 was your problem also when using it outdoors, or was it a different situation?

Indoor only and wasn't the sensor. So far, not had any further problems (touch wood!). As the reboot back to factory fixed it, it would seem to have been a software glitch e.g. a software file path corruption.  And so far I've not encountered any problems with subsequent firmware upgrades inc v1.30. 

I've still not yet had an opportunity to rehearse or gig with Pod Go but being cautious, I always take a back up mfx just in case.  

• 1 month later...

I will join the ranks of those affected by this issue. Volume fades in and out, till gone. Reboot did not help once in this state. 

Happened 2 times, both outdoor afternoon gigs, after about 50 minutes of use. First time at v1.22, second time at v1.30.

My main amp model is HiWatt, but it continued after switching to other patches as well. 

Since I use both volume pedal and wah, disabling is not desirable option. 

I ran the unit in my studio for hours with a drum machine providing signal, but could not replicate.

I have opened a case with Line6, no answer yet but its only been a day. 

Interested in any solutions found, as I also like the PodGo, but cannot gig with it in this unreliable condition.

18 hours ago, NickHeinz said:

I will join the ranks of those affected by this issue. Volume fades in and out, till gone. Reboot did not help once in this state. 

Happened 2 times, both outdoor afternoon gigs, after about 50 minutes of use. First time at v1.22, second time at v1.30.

My main amp model is HiWatt, but it continued after switching to other patches as well. 

Since I use both volume pedal and wah, disabling is not desirable option. 

I ran the unit in my studio for hours with a drum machine providing signal, but could not replicate.

I have opened a case with Line6, no answer yet but its only been a day. 

Interested in any solutions found, as I also like the PodGo, but cannot gig with it in this unreliable condition.

I recommend you create a back up, reset back to factory, & load patches back in (you won't lose your v1.30 upgrade)

• 1 year later...

Hey there! 

I'm fairly late to the party on this one but I experienced a very similar issue to this when I was gigging on Friday. It was an outdoor afternoon gig (I live in Spain so it was warm) and my Pod Go started to randomly fade in and out. I did notice, at one point, that when I crouched down to the ground (with the intention of turning up the master volume), the signal seemed to return but when I stood up again, it would completely fade out again. I changed all of the cables twice and tried 3 different guitars during the gig but the issue persisted. The only piece of gear that was the common denominator was the Pod Go. I'm feeling very let down as I've been a Line 6 fan for years but, to me, a piece of gear I can't trust is totally useless.

Anyone have any updates on this? Any fixes?

On 4/1/2023 at 5:22 PM, tweednelson said:

Hey there! 

I'm fairly late to the party on this one but I experienced a very similar issue to this when I was gigging on Friday. It was an outdoor afternoon gig (I live in Spain so it was warm) and my Pod Go started to randomly fade in and out. I did notice, at one point, that when I crouched down to the ground (with the intention of turning up the master volume), the signal seemed to return but when I stood up again, it would completely fade out again. I changed all of the cables twice and tried 3 different guitars during the gig but the issue persisted. The only piece of gear that was the common denominator was the Pod Go. I'm feeling very let down as I've been a Line 6 fan for years but, to me, a piece of gear I can't trust is totally useless.

Anyone have any updates on this? Any fixes?

If the POD Go was in direct sunlight, this was almost certainly caused by light interfering with the optical sensor under the expression pedal. If light hits the sensor, it will mess up the tracking, and cause the volume to decrease or increase sporadically.

On 4/4/2023 at 3:00 AM, phil_m said:

If the POD Go was in direct sunlight, this was almost certainly caused by light interfering with the optical sensor under the expression pedal. If light hits the sensor, it will mess up the tracking, and cause the volume to decrease or increase sporadically.

So the expression pedal doesn't work with a gear like the Mission Engineering ones recommended for use with the HX Effects? It works with an optical sensor? 

What a crazy design choice!

On 4/10/2023 at 5:13 PM, tweednelson said:

So the expression pedal doesn't work with a gear like the Mission Engineering ones recommended for use with the HX Effects? It works with an optical sensor? 

What a crazy design choice!

All of Line 6 floorboards have used optical sensors for the pedals, as far as I know. I think in the long run, it's a more reliable design simply because it doesn't depend on a potentiometer and gears or strings. But it does have this one drawback.