Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hearing dry signal under Variax model?

Hey, gang!
I’m new to the Variax and I need some input.  (JTV89F)
I have my Helix patches setup to automatically select the Variax instrument I want using snapshots. It seems to work well. Typical Clean, Crunch, Gain, Solo, 12 String acoustic, 6 String acoustic and banjo.  I have my input for my patch on “multi”. 
It seems to me that everything sounds pretty good but call me crazy, sometimes I hear what is possibly the mag pickups under the Variax tone/model. It’s almost like I’m hearing the dynamics of a “dry signal” under the Variax model even when using a heavily distorted snapshot. This may also explain why if I drop tune an acoustic model a half step it sounds terrible. 
I’m only using a Variax VDI cable.  
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Double check that the mags level is turned off either within the Helix patch and check the configuration in the Variax itself with the Workbench HD editor. 

This is also assuming your playback level is high because if you're listen at lower volumes you might be hearing the strings them self if that makes sense to you. 

Jd

On 9/6/2020 at 2:21 PM, alheeren said:

Hey, gang!
I’m new to the Variax and I need some input.  (JTV89F)
I have my Helix patches setup to automatically select the Variax instrument I want using snapshots. It seems to work well. Typical Clean, Crunch, Gain, Solo, 12 String acoustic, 6 String acoustic and banjo.  I have my input for my patch on “multi”. 
It seems to me that everything sounds pretty good but call me crazy, sometimes I hear what is possibly the mag pickups under the Variax tone/model. It’s almost like I’m hearing the dynamics of a “dry signal” under the Variax model even when using a heavily distorted snapshot. This may also explain why if I drop tune an acoustic model a half step it sounds terrible. 
I’m only using a Variax VDI cable.  
Any input would be appreciated. Thank you. 

You're hearing the guitar acoustically. Yes, I'm serious. If you're not turned up loud enough when using alt tunings it will sound awful because what's coming from your speakers are not the same pitches that reach your ears directly from the guitar itself. Dissonance is inevitable. Crank up enough, and you won't hear it anymore.