Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Walrus Audio Deep 6 emulation

MillahTime289

Hey guys, I have a compressor question. I'm trying to get the compressor tone of the walrus audio deep 6 which is a 1176 studio compressor. Are there any compressors on helix similar to that circuit? I know there is the LA-2A, but the circuit is different and I've heard it can sick your guitar tone away. Thoughts?

10 hours ago, MillahTime289 said:

I know there is the LA-2A, but the circuit is different and I've heard it can sick your guitar tone away. Thoughts?

The UREI 1176 uses FET based circuit and the LA-2A is a valve (vacuum tube) based, but I don’t reckon that it could have been a pro studio staple for as long as it has if it “sucked tone”.

The Teletroniks works a treat on any signal you want to throw at it. It’s probably in almost every preset that I use, and I have the UA software plugin in LogicX patch into anything that might need some extra magic.

I can only think that the “sucks tone” idea came from someone who didn’t know how to use it., because if you already have a good sound, then adding a LA-2A to the mix will make it better.

YMMV!

Here's a comparison

Edited by datacommando
Added Video