Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume boost for solos?

Northsea

Here's a simple one if you are not using the FX Loop

FX Loop Jumper - jump the FX Loop with a patch cable and set the level to what you need for a boost when on. The nice thing about this is you can place the loop in front of the amp for cleaner tones and drive the amp harder for the lead or after the amp and before the FX for more saturated tones. Simple and effective...just use the fx Loop button for the boost and you can tweak the exact level you need per patch. 

• Thanks 2

Yes there are quite a lot of options to achieve that even without diving into snapshots, those are what came to my mind:

- Put a standard boost pedal in one of your 4 blocks, if you have one spare. You then switch it on/off in stomp mode;

- if you don't want to eat one of the 4 blocks, use the default eq block to boost your signal. You either leave off by default and the engage it in stomp mode, or, if it is already on, you can set an unassigned footswitch to change it's parameter(s) so you can achieve a volume boost and/or a bump in eq;

- similarry, you can set an unassigned fw to change parameters of your amp sim, to increase volume/gain;

- you could also use the default volume pedal in various ways, like if you don't do volume swells or stuff like that, you might set min volume at 85 and max at 100, so you'll have your boost simply rocking from toe to heel.

And any type of "solo boost" would work both on amp-out and main-out unless you put the "boost" block after the cab/IR and set your amp-out to be pre cab/IR in global options.

6 minutes ago, spaceatl said:

Here's a simple one if you are not using the FX Loop

FX Loop Jumper - jump the FX Loop with a patch cable and set the level to what you need for a boost when on. The nice thing about this is you can place the loop in front of the amp for cleaner tones and drive the amp harder for the lead or after the amp and before the FX for more saturated tones. Simple and effective...just use the fx Loop button for the boost and you can tweak the exact level you need per patch. 

Nice trick!

39 minutes ago, cristt said:

Nice trick!

Thanks! I was going to mention the volume pedal approach. But I actually do it inverted when I use it...MIN 100% and MAX 80% depending on the tone....That allows for wah rhythm volume setting instead of lead volume...just depends on the situation tho.  

• Thanks 1

There's a much easier way. Set FS2 to turn off the fx loop set by default, and set it to main output level and adjust to eg +3dB. In stomp mode the label will show level. Stomp for volume boost. This gives a clean volume boost regardless of what other fx are on or off and leaves your fx loop free if you want to use it on another patch.  Or if you connect external footswitch to FS7/8, you can use that for the volume boost without having to go into stomp mode. 

• 6 months later...

Yes, the main out fs assignment is a great tip. The only issue is if you are using the "Amp Out" to grab the signal before your cab sim/ir . That signal is tapped before the main out. I love the loop jumper idea in that instance. I'm still holding out hope for the wonderful people at Line6 to be able to add just 1 more block at some point. Or a level control for the Amp out that would be fs assignable.

Or you could use the amp volume as a boost via footswitch, or use the fixed EQ at the end of the signal chain as a clean boost by simply leaving the EQ 'neutral' (or alternatively twiddle to taste) and upping the EQ level dB setting eg by a 3db boost.  You can even increase the cab dB level.  Another 'trick' is to change the mic eg from a 160 ribbon to a 57 dynamic that will give a volume uplift plus change the mic characteristic from a rhythm to a more punchy lead solo.  If you have a distortion pedal in your chain, you can up the level from that via footswitch.   Loads of different ways to achieve similar results - or combine some/all of these via a single foot-switch control.  

I disconnect EXP2 from the volume pedal and connect it to the level control of last device in my chain (usually a compressor or EQ). In the settings for that device, I use the little slider triangles to set the minimum and maximum level to something like -3dB to +3dB. That way the EXP2 pedal gives me 6dB of control over my volume (all the way back, 3dB cut. All the way down, 3dB boost). 

On 4/13/2021 at 2:10 AM, poodad said:

I disconnect EXP2 from the volume pedal and connect it to the level control of last device in my chain (usually a compressor or EQ). In the settings for that device, I use the little slider triangles to set the minimum and maximum level to something like -3dB to +3dB. That way the EXP2 pedal gives me 6dB of control over my volume (all the way back, 3dB cut. All the way down, 3dB boost). 

If you switch the FX off, what happens to your volume?  (And shouldn't a compressor best go at the front of the chain?) 

On 4/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, voxman55 said:

If you switch the FX off, what happens to your volume?  (And shouldn't a compressor best go at the front of the chain?) 

If you turn the effect off, then you go to 0dB, which would correspond to mid pedal. 

I personally like a compressor near the end, and I always leave it on. But if you'd rather, you can use an EQ instead. The output on EQs have the same capability to have their output level connected to EXP2 and to set min and max levels.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I recently bought the Pod Go Wireless and I'm getting desperate as i'm unable to boost my signal for solos with an external amp head! 

I have an Orange Super Crush 100.

I connect the pod via amp out to the amp input. 

Any Boost works fine on the clean channel (Amp, pre-amp, kinky, ES etc). 

HOWEVER, if i switch to the distortion channel of the Orange amp nothing seems to work. Nothing boosts the volume of the distortion, it's as iff all those extra dbs sent from the Pod just create a more distorted and confusing sound, but no VOLUME increase!

Can anyone help?

Thank you so much

That is how it works when you drive your amps dirty channel input harder: more drive/distortion and no audible increase in level.
Do this instead: Activate the effecs loop in your PG preset and place your volume boost there.
Then connect the effects loop of the PG to the effects loop of your Super Crush. Now you are boosting the signal AFTER your amps preamp ...

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone ! I just bought one used Pod Go unit and I'm learning to use it....

I also have to solve issue of boost for lead parts and I found insteresting the above solution posted.

However, I would like to have a "check" when the boost is activated and in snapshot mode (it'is my preferred mode) it is not possible to show fx loop status on the screen. 

Also my double FS2 is not provided with status led.

I just tried to put my clean boost pedal as follows: SEND to pedal IN - RETURN to pedal OUT..... and it works fine!

In my preset chain the FX loop is just after the distorsion block and before the amplifier block.

By this way I can connect my pedalboard directly to PA without amplifier.

A second option should be to buy a switch pedal with status led, make a bridge between send and return, then set value of db's I want to increase in fx loop settings.

In live situation I'll prefere to have my boost pedal so I can modify level value quickly and for all presets....

Hope this help,,