Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it possible to run Helix Native using HX Stomp's DSP power?

donaldan

Just like Universal Audio plugins run off of their interfaces/accelerators, can the same be done with Helix Native and HX Stomp? If so, how would that work? It says its possible in the manual but I can't find any information detailing the process. It would be nice to free up the CPU load, while being able to monitor Helix Native in real time.

hxstomp1.jpg

That's not what that part of the manual is talking about. That's talking about hardware reamping. That's totally different than what the UA interfaces are doing. With hardware reamping, you're taking an audio signal from your DAW, sending it to the Stomp, and the Stomp is sending it back to the DAW. It's not tied to Native in any way. It's kind of a slow and clunky process, especially if you're dealing with multiple tracks.

Are you having trouble with the CPU load in Native? I have projects where I have like a dozen instances of it, and I've never run into issues. I don't find it to be all that CPU intensive.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, phil_m said:

That's not what that part of the manual is talking about. That's talking about hardware reamping. That's totally different than what the UA interfaces are doing. With hardware reamping, you're taking an audio signal from your DAW, sending it to the Stomp, and the Stomp is sending it back to the DAW. It's not tied to Native in any way. It's kind of a slow and clunky process, especially if you're dealing with multiple tracks.

Are you having trouble with the CPU load in Native? I have projects where I have like a dozen instances of it, and I've never run into issues. I don't find it to be all that CPU intensive.

Then why does it say "Helix Native lets you apply the DSP horsepower of HX Stomp to any for you production's tracks WITHOUT re-amping."? To me, that means exactly what it says: Using hardware based DSP processing in real time just like the UA stuff, essentially meaning Helix Native using HX Stomp's DSP processor instead of the CPU.

I dont think that part of the manual is talking about hardware reamping, why would it say "INSTEAD of routing your dry di tracks through hx stomp and then re-tracking everything in realtime, you can simply insert Helix Native on each track", which it then goes on to explain Helix Native using HX Stomp's DSP.

16 minutes ago, donaldan said:

Then why does it say "Helix Native lets you apply the DSP horsepower of HX Stomp to any for you production's tracks WITHOUT re-amping."? To me, that means exactly what it says: Using hardware based DSP processing in real time just like the UA stuff, essentially meaning Helix Native using HX Stomp's DSP processor instead of the CPU.

I dont think that part of the manual is talking about hardware reamping, why would it say "INSTEAD of routing your dry di tracks through hx stomp and then re-tracking everything in realtime, you can simply insert Helix Native on each track", which it then goes on to explain Helix Native using HX Stomp's DSP.

I think the gist of that paragraph is basically that Native let’s you take the same amount of equivalent DSP of the Stomp (in actuality, you can actually have much more than that) and apply it to every track at the same time. So instead of only having one Stomp to re-amp, you have the equivalent of a bunch of them.

I can tell with 100% certainty that it isn’t talking about offloading CPU load from the DAW to the Stomp. In reality, that Stomp’s processing power is rather lightweight compared to even a modest computer nowadays... It wouldn’t gain you much.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:31 AM, donaldan said:

It would be nice to free up the CPU load, while being able to monitor Helix Native in real time.

I think you are misinterpreting the comment about Helix Native Software Plug In and the HX Stomp hardware.

You can set up your HX Stomp and capture in your DAW the processed guitar signal along with the unprocessed dry signal. Then, rather than spend time sending that DI clean signal back out and through your hardware to be reprocessed and recorded back into the DAW, simply playback the dry signal through Native which appears as a regular insert audio plugin.

The thing about native is you can choose to disable "Hardware Compatibility" in the preferences, which will allow you to add as many FX as your computer has processing power. So therefore, instead of being limited to the Single DSP and 6 Blocks of your Stomp, with Native running in your DAW it can function like a full blown Helix. Plus you can open as many instances of HX Native as you like (until your computer runs to of steam).

Here's a video where using an HX Stomp to capture the processed and dry audio. 

And here's another showing Helix Native in use.

20 hours ago, donaldan said:

why would it say "INSTEAD of routing your dry di tracks through hx stomp and then re-tracking everything in realtime, you can simply insert Helix Native on each track

It says, "INSTEAD", because it is not absolutely unnecessary to "round trip" everything back out of your computer just to have you HX Stomp add a different sound. You do it all inside your DAW with Native which can do a lot more.

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 9/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, phil_m said:

On 9/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, datacommando said:

I think you are misinterpreting the comment about Helix Native Software Plug In and the HX Stomp hardware.

You can set up your HX Stomp and capture in your DAW the processed guitar signal along with the unprocessed dry signal. Then, rather than spend time sending that DI clean signal back out and through your hardware to be reprocessed and recorded back into the DAW, simply playback the dry signal through Native which appears as a regular insert audio plugin.

The thing about native is you can choose to disable "Hardware Compatibility" in the preferences, which will allow you to add as many FX as your computer has processing power. So therefore, instead of being limited to the Single DSP and 6 Blocks of your Stomp, with Native running in your DAW it can function like a full blown Helix. Plus you can open as many instances of HX Native as you like (until your computer runs to of steam).

Here's a video where using an HX Stomp to capture the processed and dry audio. 

And here's another showing Helix Native in use.

It says, "INSTEAD", because it is not absolutely unnecessary to "round trip" everything back out of your computer just to have you HX Stomp add a different sound. You do it all inside your DAW with Native which can do a lot more.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Thanks everyone for your responses. So instead of sending the the DI signal back into Stomp for reamping, I can play it back and reamp it through Native using Stomp's DSP? Also, if I have a bunch of tracks to reamp, I would run out of DSP power pretty fast so its best to have Native run off my CPU?

2 hours ago, donaldan said:

So instead of sending the the DI signal back into Stomp for reamping, I can play it back and reamp it through Native using Stomp's DSP?

NO! For the third time, no... Let this idea die, man. It's not how it works. There is no offloading of DSP from Native to Stomp. They are two separate things. The only way they're connected is that you can use the Stomp to record a dry for Native, and you can share presets between the two, but beyond that, there is no connection between them. Stomp is hardware. Native is software. They each do their own thing.

11 hours ago, donaldan said:

So instead of sending the the DI signal back into Stomp for reamping, I can play it back and reamp it through Native using Stomp's DSP?

To continue on from “phil_m”, NO, NO, NO. You HX Stomp allows you to get a dry guitar signal into your DAW of choice. After that you can disconnect your Stomp and it put away.

Now, within your DAW you can manipulate the dry guitar signal through HX Native however you like, and as many times as you like. Your computer does all the processing. 

To reiterate, instead of being limited to the Single DSP and 6 Blocks of your Stomp, with Native running in your DAW it can function like a full blown Helix. Plus you can open as many instances of HX Native as you like (until your computer runs to of steam).

Additionally, you can use HX Native to process bass, vocals, synths or whatever else you might have in your track. It’s not just for guitars. Turn off the amp and speaker models and run a drum track through a phaser and reverb, if you wish.

You may want to read this:

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Added info.