Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Input Is Too Loud

virtzberg

I don't want to lower the variax output, but just to lower the HD variax input.

I don't think thats an option. But lowering the global string volume should have the same effect. No need to adust each model individually. You might even find that you like the models better. Many have lowered the string volume to get rid of the piezo 'quack' or 'plink' that is sometimes heard with hard picking.

Are you using INPUT 1 set to VARIAX and INPUT 2 set to SAME?   If you are, then simply changing INPUT 2 to GUITAR for patches where you only use the Variax will lower the input by 6db.

If you are already doing that, and you don't wish to adjust string volumes on the Variax with workbench, then you can use an fx block as the first in the chain to attenuate the input. The Vintage PRE in the EQ menu will allow you to lower the gain and some of the other EQ fx can perform a similar function.

• Upvote 1

I use another guitar connected to the guitar input, so changing input 2 to "guitar" made the other guitar louder...

but when I selected for input 2 something that I don't use like "aux" it solved the problem and the two inputs were

on the same normal level. So thanks to Edstar 1960 which led me to the solution.

I use another guitar connected to the guitar input, so changing input 2 to "guitar" made the other guitar louder...

but when I selected for input 2 something that I don't use like "aux" it solved the problem and the two inputs were

on the same normal level. So thanks to Edstar 1960 which led me to the solution.

Great - glad you solved it.   Did you originally have INPUT 1 set to  GUITAR + VARIAX  and INPUT 2 = SAME?  

I had input 1 set to GUITAR + VARIAX and INPUT 2 to  VARIAX

Ah - that all makes sense now.  So when using VARIAX you were getting a +6db boost for VARIAX because it was coming in on INPUT 1 and INPUT  2.  Then when you changed INPUT 2 to GUITAR, you got a +6db boost on the GUITAR input.   Using AUX means you only get one instance of both GUITAR + VARIAX which means they even out.

NB:  If you are placing an FX block in the PRE path, you can choose to use INPUT 1 = VARIAX and INPUT 2 = GUITAR.    That will still allow you to use either VARIAX or GUITAR and only have one input signal and no doubling. Plus, you also remove any possibility of extra noise being added to the signal path from the AUX input, even if nothing is connected.

Glad you have things working as you want.