Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Really Bad Humming/ Buzzing Pod500

Loco23

Hey guys,

I've been having this problem with my POD500, I'm not sure if its always been this way as I've only recently started using clean sounds as opposed to distortions or boosts. I play through either a VOX Amp or through a USB connection to my laptop in the garageband interface.

I have isolated the issue to the POD500 and a very distinct buzzing noise can be heard even without any effects blocks or boosts of any kind with my AMP having no gain. I've researched that this might have something to do with the power outlets not coming from the same socket but even when I detach the charger from my Mac the noise still remains... 

However, when I remove the POD500 from the equation and have it running straight from guitar to Amp, it's silent.

Can anyone help?

Connect your headphones directly 2 ur HD500.

If this humming/ buzzing noise dissapears, it seems like u are in2 a ground loop issue. Google 4 "laptop ground loop" and fix accordingly (see attached search sample screenshot).

If this noise is still present, it seems like ur HD500 need servicing. Open a support ticket.
Rgds/john

ps
There is also the possibility of low quality power supply. Check accordingly.
Also the pls recheck the above attachment. It is irrelevant that u use headphones. The ground loop (if any) is still there.

post-1403107-0-10929100-1392295336_thumb.png

hey mate thanks for the tips. I'm missing the adaptor for my phones so I will try tomorrow...

However, BIG BREAKTHROUGH...

I was just messing around with the POD500 whilst it was running into my physical Vox Amp and realised I really downed the hum with the 1/4" Out, Guitar In and XLR options. Is there anyway I can use these options for the USB connection?

If not I may just buy an audio interface and input it into there and output a separate USB connection to the Mac.

The Buzzing is probably a ground loop through the USB.  Is it quiet with  the USB disconnected?  I had this when I was using a single ended output.  It went away when I started using the Balanced XLR outputs.  The major problem for me was the connection to my laptop.

I thought about this too, but I tried another midi cable and it had the same problem