Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Favorite setup for mid to high gain

Hatman777

Hello all, seeing as I’m new to the Helix platform I’d be interested to know what the veteran users  set up their path for mid to high gains tones like favorite amp and what overdrive you like, yes I do know it’s all preference, but just curious what helix users prefer and maybe why

Thanks all for your input 

I don't think you will be able to gather any really relevant information this way, for the same reason you're already mentioning, namely personal preferences.

As far as mid gain tones go (I don't exactly use high gain, at least not as much gain as many people these days), so far my go-to amp has basically been the Line 6 2204 Mod. Pretty flexible, dynamics are fine, takes all sorts of drives well. My go-to drives are the Kinky Boost (wish it had dedicated output level...) to just get a bit "more", the Teemah because it's so easy to use and flexible enough to turn a rather low gain from the amp into something a little more high-gain-ish and the Top Secret OD which IMO is doing a better job for fuzzy tones than the fuzzes (especially as I keep my input impedance fixed at 1 M Ohm).

For more gain from the amp itself, I like the Placater Dirty.

Recently, I discovered the Derailed Ingrid (didn't tickle me at first), in combination with the 4x12 Greenback 25 (usually with the 57 Dynamic mic). While doing so, I re-discovered an old goodie that I aleready liked in my M13, the Tube Comp. Along with the Derailed Ingrid at lower gains, the resulting sound is pretty creamy, yet very dynamic. I really wish they'd do a modernized version of the Tube Comp, the output level is way too high and it could as well do with finer Threshold adjustments.

But then, as said, everybody's mileage will vary and I'm not a high gain player anyway.

• Like 1

For me it would be the 2204, 2204MOD and the Placater Dirty mostly combined with a tube screamer with gain at 0 or with a Heir apparent. The Placater Dirty is very flexible and can go from low gain basic/classic rock (I agree.... whatever that really means) to very high gain/ metal tons (switch the saturation to "on"). As for the cab I'm using an Ownhammer IR mostly (their GNR 25 MMC) but you can get somewhat similar tones using a dual cab configuration with Greenback 25 and a 1960 T75. 

The problem I have with the Placater is that there many options/ variables. One can easily get lost ... at the same time I need to admit that this is also the strength of this amp model. On the MOD2204 I generally dial back the mid boost from 4dB to about 2.5 dB, but that's just a personal setting and also may be caused by the type of cab/IR I'm using.

The MOD2204 and Placater can give you very similar sounds by the way.

• Like 2

I am not much of a high gain player, but last night I would going over those amps in Helix native to see what was there. My immediate preference was the 2204 (JCM800) and the 2204Mod with it's pre-mid controls. I use Celestion IR's these days. Their silver label closed backs sound very natural with these models (that's what JCM 800 cabs usually came with) but I do prefer the greenback IR (warrmer) for a traditional tone, and even more so - the RUBY IR's which have a very rich depth to their tone. 

As for an overdrive, I would always reach for a Tube Screamer variant for solo's. You don't need to add much distortion to the tone, just boost the front end of the amp a couple notches and let it do it's thing naturally. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I do not really qualify as a veteran user but still... There's really a lot to choose from. High gain, I like placater for a more classic tone and the Revv models for a more modern one. Cali Lead if I need that "liquid" solo tone. Also the Archetype works very well and is very tight. A bit less gain (say G'n'R, more of my thing), I like the 2204 and 2204 mod and the placater. For mid gain with a somewhat looser feel, I like the Mahadeva (Bogner Shiva), or the Plexi Brt.

Overdrives: I like the Timmy especially because it's relatively flat and has great low and high cut controls that allow to tune how much of the lows and highs goes into the amp. Little gain (just enough to compress a little) and high volume. I typically follow the Timmy with a parametric eq set to boost mids. I used to use the Minotaur; it provides a more vintage type of mid boost.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I don't think you will be able to gather any really relevant information this way, for the same reason you're already mentioning, namely personal preferences.

As far as mid gain tones go (I don't exactly use high gain, at least not as much gain as many people these days), so far my go-to amp has basically been the Line 6 2204 Mod. Pretty flexible, dynamics are fine, takes all sorts of drives well. My go-to drives are the Kinky Boost (wish it had dedicated output level...) to just get a bit "more", the Teemah because it's so easy to use and flexible enough to turn a rather low gain from the amp into something a little more high-gain-ish and the Top Secret OD which IMO is doing a better job for fuzzy tones than the fuzzes (especially as I keep my input impedance fixed at 1 M Ohm).

For more gain from the amp itself, I like the Placater Dirty.

Recently, I discovered the Derailed Ingrid (didn't tickle me at first), in combination with the 4x12 Greenback 25 (usually with the 57 Dynamic mic). While doing so, I re-discovered an old goodie that I aleready liked in my M13, the Tube Comp. Along with the Derailed Ingrid at lower gains, the resulting sound is pretty creamy, yet very dynamic. I really wish they'd do a modernized version of the Tube Comp, the output level is way too high and it could as well do with finer Threshold adjustments.

But then, as said, everybody's mileage will vary and I'm not a high gain player anyway.

ahh yes not trying to get insight for help and such just curious what helix users prefer  In the mid to high gain :)