Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VARIAX 700 Acoustic Reducing weight of guitar.

HI.All I'm new to the forum. I have a Variax 700 acoustic that I love very much. What I don't love is the heavy weight of the guitar. I'm a professional wood worker and I'm wondering if there is any way the guitar could be modified to reduce the weight without compromising the sound. I'm talking routing material away and designing thin attractive cover plates to hide the routered sections similar to the existing cover plate on the back.  Obviously areas such as the bridge would need to be left intact with plenty of solid timber to still support the rigidity of the guitar. Maybe the best way would be to only router areas on the back to a depth that would still be rigid enough not to affect the playability of the guitar. The end of the guitar opposite the neck end seems to be fuller and longer than most too. I suspect there is a fair bit of weight may be removed from there also. If all this were possible I think a reduction in the weight of the guitar could be as much as half what it is now. The other thing that bothers me though is could the electronics be damaged by vibration from the routering operation???Any thoughts about this Mod???? Regards to all . Ronnie.

"... I'm wondering if there is any way the guitar could be modified to reduce the weight without compromising the sound. " ---

No, there isn't. The Models will sound different in tone and EQ in another body. And routing will be like putting the electronics in another body.

The acoustics of the body are considered and matched in the modeling process. Change the body, or put the electronics into a different body,

it sounds different in tone EQ. I've done a number of mods and custom work for Line 6 artist endorsers at he request of the top people at Line 6

and the artist endorsers, so I know what you are in for.

"... could the electronics be damaged by vibration from the routing operation??? " --- Yes, that is why when I do lutherie work to these I usually

(but not always need to) remove the electronics prior to the work.

" Any thoughts about this Mod???? " ---- Don't do it. Also, if something were to go wrong and should it be necessary to send it back to us at Line 6, 

there would be limitations to what we could do, as Line 6 does not support modification that alter the function of the product. And this modification

would qualify under that. If you were to send it to me with such mods, after an evaluation, chances are I might have to send it back untouched. This is a

12-14 year old product with a limited number of parts available for it. And that would add to the problem.

Stevic McKay of Twelve Foot Ninja knows who I am and what I'm talking about (among others).