Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Pro dead

Hispanico

Hi guys,

After 14 years of services, my Pod X3 Pro just died

I'm actually looking to replace it with a new one but I'm kind of lost in the enormous choice of Line6.

What would you suggest me? I start looking at the Pod Go but i really don't have any idea about it.

Today I'm not using it anymore on stage, just to plug it into my Marshall and play at home with my son.

I guess the Helix series is too much for my today's use (and also the price!!) but honestly I don't know the differences between all the series. If you can give some tips in order to help me decide, it would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Greetings from France!

• 1 year later...

I've had a hard time getting the Helix to sound really good. In fact, my X3 outperforms it especially with the Marshall JCM-800. I play mostly heavy metal so I need a tone which is big and in your face, and the X3 gives me that. I have not been able to get the Helix to sound similar.

Well, that’s one person’s experience. I think the vast majority of users find that Helix produces far superior tones than the POD X3 series.

There are several threads around here that compare the various options re: Helix and POD Go devices…. but searching for them can be frustrating. The Search function here is just not very good.  Be patient and try different keyword combinations.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:22 AM, Hispanico said:

Hi guys,

After 14 years of services, my Pod X3 Pro just died

I'm actually looking to replace it with a new one …….

Today I'm not using it anymore on stage, just to plug it into my Marshall and play at home with my son.…..

Your choices are different depending on your goals and planned usage. You say you want to replace your POD X3 and use it with your physical Marshall amp, so a couple of questions to clarify…..

- did you connect your POD X3 to your Marshall amp?

- if so, are you familiar with the issues involved in using an amp and cab modeling device with a real amp?

- are you planning to use the 4 Cable Method (4CM) to make the physical connections between the devices?

If you want to always use you Marshall preamp section (I.e. connect your guitar to whatever replacement device you get and then connect that to the Guitar In jack on your Marshall) then you are simply looking for an FX device,  or an amp/cab modeling device. Consider the HX FX.

I tried everything I could think of with the Helix and it still could not match the sound from the JCM-800 in my X3. One guy said going through two amps and two cabs will not necessarily give you a big sound. He said you need to experiment with mics and room reflections. So I did. And it still was not as good as it should have been.

But I will say that I am not opposed to trying the Helix again. I'm willing to do it.