Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset creation.....my single preset for a show journey and questions

themetallikid

Ok, so with my band basically shutting down any sort of active booking (we will be a house band at a few places and take gigs offered but not actively search for them, acoustic gigs have been great since things opened up again)....I have decided to 'simplify' my sounds approach.  Normally I have been a 'build my core tones' guy, then use those to build song specific presets.  Tedious, but I love the unraveling of tones and the searching to dial things in well...without losing my bands sound (80+ songs in the songlist makes a lot of work).  

So I was inspired by the guys that can do a variety of tones with a single amp and thought I'd give it a real shot with some good hard work involved.  Being I love Marshally type stuff, I chose the Placatar Clean/Dirty models.  Initially I paired these with the Greenback 25/57 combo and the Mesa V30/160 combo on seperate cab blocks split/rejoined before and right after.  Loved where I landed but there was just something missing.  So I took the Greenback/V30 approach and dove into my York Audio Cab IR's and landed on the IRS 1) Matchless 212 Blnd Mix 07 and 2) Mesa Traditional 412 mix 13.  I have the Matchless low cut to 120hz, no hi cut and the Mesa low cut to 80 and high cut down to 5.5khz.  This gives me a nice balanced high cutting sound with some nice low chunk.  

I set up Snapshots of Clean, Gritty, Boosted Gritty, Crunch, Rock, Boosted Rock, Brootalz and Boosted Brootalz.  I included the preset if anyone wants to retry, and you can try the stock cabs I mentioned, but they didnt have the clarity I was looking for.  I'm not entirely satisfied on the Brootalz/Boosted Brootalz and the Rock presets, but its just fine tuning the low end and such, which I can't really do until practice time with some volume.  

I landed on the Weeper Wah with a mix of 97% and adjusted the low/high frequencies to 190hz and 2.3khz.  I may still play with this and see if I can add some sort of gain boost tied in with the auto engage of the wah on Exp 2 as I like a slightly dirty signal into a wah to give it some extra attitude and bite.  

I have a talkbox setup in FX Loop 1, and have it set to auto engage on Exp 1 at 98% (same turning on point as my Wah).  Easy to manipulate while singing or wanting to jump between talkbox and regular guitar by rocking my foot back and forth to turn on/off.

I have Footswitch 11 setup as a "Latch Lead" where it turns on a Kinky Boost/TS808 for my lead OD's (I love these two paired together), the Double Take (set minmally, but between the amp/cab), Delay Block and also preset output volume (-4db is normal output, Lead goes to -2db, this will have to be adjusted in live use).  

HOWEVER, I do have a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer.....I love the idea of a momentary lead switch and I have Footswitch 10 available/open yet.  I'd love to have it do the same as my "Lead Latch" assignments on Footswitch 11, however that would require me to 'double' all of those blocks in the preset which is not feasible. Correct?  Any workarounds I'm not thinking of?  Its not a killer to not have a momentary lead switch, but for some songs its great when trying to sing and play lead...the lack of extra steps is less thinking after a few beers.  HAHA!!

Anyway, here is my preset, i've never shared presets before so I appreciate any comments/feedback, and will answer any questions as well.  I'm far from a super user or guru around here, but am pretty proud of this single preset and what it all covers.   

Thanks, cheers, stay healthy!

One Amp for All.hlx

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 5:51 AM, themetallikid said:

Initially I paired these with the Greenback 25/57 combo and the Mesa V30/160 combo on seperate cab blocks split/rejoined before and right after.  Loved where I landed but there was just something missing.

I have tried this cab/mic combination with the placater, and I agree that something is missing. FYI, after trying nearly all possible cab/mic combinations in the last few months, I have found I like very much the following one: a dual cab having a Mesa V30 with 421 and a Blackback with SM57. One can adjust the balance of the two cab/mic items by varying the output level (IIRC, I use +1dB on the V30 and -1dB on the Blackback). This combination yields a very crisp tone without getting harsh (at least, to my ear). The high end generated by the Blackback and the 421 mic make the placater (or any dark-ish amp, e.g. the mahadeva) a bit more lively.

Out of curiosity, why do you use separate cab blocks with split/join, instead of a dual cab block?

I actually liked the amp settings for modern fat crunch sound. So: well done and thanks for sharing!

Since I own a Hx Stomp your preset was way to big to import it. So I looked at it's amp and drive settings and recreated a patch that hopefully sounds close. The cab is a dual cab mix (Blackback/409 + XXL V30/30Dyn). If don't mind give it a try, compare and leave some comments.

One For The Poor.hlx

15 hours ago, emagli said:

I have tried this cab/mic combination with the placater, and I agree that something is missing. FYI, after trying nearly all possible cab/mic combinations in the last few months, I have found I like very much the following one: a dual cab having a Mesa V30 with 421 and a Blackback with SM57. One can adjust the balance of the two cab/mic items by varying the output level (IIRC, I use +1dB on the V30 and -1dB on the Blackback). This combination yields a very crisp tone without getting harsh (at least, to my ear). The high end generated by the Blackback and the 421 mic make the placater (or any dark-ish amp, e.g. the mahadeva) a bit more lively.

Out of curiosity, why do you use separate cab blocks with split/join, instead of a dual cab block?

I used 2 blocks cause it was easier for me to dial in the sound of each of them.  In time I may condense it down to a single dual cab and compare, but for now I'm content.  

6 hours ago, Schmalle said:

I actually liked the amp settings for modern fat crunch sound. So: well done and thanks for sharing!

Since I own a Hx Stomp your preset was way to big to import it. So I looked at it's amp and drive settings and recreated a patch that hopefully sounds close. The cab is a dual cab mix (Blackback/409 + XXL V30/30Dyn). If don't mind give it a try, compare and leave some comments.

One For The Poor.hlx 6 kB · 1 download

THanks for the comment.  I'll see tomorrow at practice how it actually sounds at volume.  I made it with my headphones which are a touch on the bass/thicker sounding side, but I know when I create stuff to not overdo the top end or its harsh at volume.