Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects firmware updates

macleir

I have a 2013 Mac Laptop Air that I really like and it's running great.  I can't afford to buy a new one.  I love my HX Effects but can't get past update version 2.7 so know I'm missing out on some cool stuff and bug fixes but the operating system on Mac won't support with Helix.   I know 3.0 will be out soon if not already.    Help/suggestions as to how to update my Mac with these firmware updates without having to buy a new computer?   Thank you.

1 hour ago, macleir said:

Help/suggestions as to how to update my Mac with these firmware updates without having to buy a new computer?   Thank you.

Here ya go - you can update your Mac Book Air to Mojave (10.14.6) at the very least:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210190

Hope this helps/makes sense

At the very least is right.   These updates freak me out because you often have to do it several times, the one guys talked about having to clean/wipe his system, etc..    I'll backup but can you imagine losing your most valuable info on your computer.   I've of course done it before but it's just scary.   Need to switch over to Windows, probably easier.    Anyway, I'll give it a go.  Thanks so much.   

You should also be aware that the procedure for FW updates has changed. You no longer use the updater.

Install HX Edit v2.92 FIRST, then READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS to perform the FW update.

IF you do that, then the update should be painless.

One more question please.    I can buy a desktop with Windows 10 pretty cheap.   If I went that desktop/windows route vs Mac/Apple couldn't I avoid these hassles every time there is an update with either Helix or Apple?

Nope! That solves nothing. Check through the threads in this forum and you will find as many Windows issues as Mac, if not more.

As for “losing your most valuable info on your computer”.  Well, you should always have a back up (failsafe) and always work on a copy. Usually 99.9% of the reported “firmware bricked my Helix” complaints on here are down to “user error”.  Some do, but many others never return to admit negligence or plain stupidity. Too embarrassed probably. RTFM, and follow the instructions precisely, usually does the job.

As with everything in the modern world, things progress and inevitably you have to update. Basically, you pay your money and take your chances.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

to illustrate what datacommando just posted, I'm a Windows guy from since before there was Windows. I earned a living with Windows, and am still the Windows tech for all of my friends. I just spent two hours hassling over why MIDI stopped working. Turns out the latest Windows update killed it. I recovered using a "Restore Point" from before that update, but what a PITA! I'll likely spend the next couple of hours figuring out if it's just something in my configuration, or yet another major Microsoft FU! Big Fun!

• Thanks 1

I’m a 60 year old, non-tecky, intermediate player and just wanna play my freakin guitar.   Love the 8-10 presets I’ve made.   I think I’ll stick with them til my HX or Mac implodes, then go back to pedals if I can still play by then.   Modeling is the future for sure.   Will do the best I can.

Thanks for all the input.       Cheers!

I’m a 60 year old, non-tecky, intermediate player and just wanna play my freakin guitar.   Love the 8-10 presets I’ve made.   I think I’ll stick with them til my HX or Mac implodes, then go back to pedals if I can still play by then.   Modeling is the future for sure.   Will do the best I can.

Thanks for all the input.       Cheers!

And in the end.....

All you need is......

A Tube Screamer and a Deluxe Reverb.

Rock On!

Called tech support at Line 6 yesterday and got a really nice/helpful guy.   He confirmed what you guys said, that Windows users have about the same amount of problems as Mac users.   He also said that even though I'm on 2.7, not to worry, not missin much.   He talked about a few pedal additions but he's talked to many users that stay down in the 1's or low 2 versions because like me, they aren't tech guys and fear losing what's stored so they stay as is.  He said 2.7 is fine.   I've got about 10 or so presets that I've worked hard on and they cover about everything I need and I do back them up regularly.   I think I'll just roll with 2.7 and my 2013 Mac (that's on Catalina) until one of them two blows up.

I also talked to him about the tuner.  Never have liked the tuner on my HX.   When playing at home/quiet it's all good.  If I'm gigging or playing with a band and there is alot of noise, the needle flops around like a fish on dry land on a few strings.   He told me to set on 440 in "coarse" mode which I did last nite and no better than the strobe.   Assuming 440 correct setting.   May go to a Snark, just wish HX tuner was more reliable and would settle down quicker, especially when I change tunings.    

4 hours ago, macleir said:

I think I'll just roll with 2.7 and my 2013 Mac (that's on Catalina) until one of them two blows up.

Uh? Now I’m really confused. In your original post my understanding was that your 2013 MacBook Air and it’s OS wouldn’t support the latest Helix firmware because because your OS wouldn’t work with it. As you said you were averse to upgrading the technology I guessed you were stuck on the OS your Mac shipped with - i.e. Mountain Lion. Doh!

If you’re already running “Catalina” why not update your HXFX? 

Ah! Best thing maybe is to wait for v3.0 firmware to drop and the go for the big one.

Good luck.

I’m afraid OS updates are a fact of life with modern laptop computers, and early adopters of amp and effects modeling devices. Frankly I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to update and retain the value of my digital investment that would otherwise be obsolete long before it has reached it useful life.

Re: Windows and MacOS, generally MacOS is easier, faster and more reliable to update. But not if you’re crossing the 32 to 64 bit threshold. You can probably updated a 2013 MacBook Air to the latest OS, but you will probably have to loose all your current 32bit applications. That may or may not be a problem. It’s the price of modernization. I think its worth the effort. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim if you don't mind, I may be contacting you for some help down the road.    For now, since I'm pretty happy with the presets I've created, I'll probably sit tight, especially after talking to the Line6 rep.   I know I'm missing a few things but doesn't sound like anything extremely drastic or urgent.      Thanks guys for all your input.    Have a nice weekend.

• Thanks 1