Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Lost all my presets because of DSP overload - code 8611

Nunovsky

So... I connected the HX Stomp to the updater and installed the newest firmware 2.92.
Well, then I openned the HX Editor to start working on some presets.

First, on the preset  list I picked on of the presets to move next to the other one that I wanted to edit. And when I tried to open it, it had cleaned all the blocks on the HX Editor but it showed them in the Stomp display. I tried to open the other one that I moved and it didn't open as well.

Both of these presets have IR loaded. Since I didn't manage to edit with the program I used the unit to change the presets and there where changes in the HX Editor. When I saved it it showed the message DSP overload.
I had made a backup of my stomp after I changed to firmware 2.92.
Then I closed the program and restarted the stomp and then every preset that I had there was erased. When I opened the HX Editor again and the connection was completed it displayed the message "Failed to get preset names. Operation failed due to DSP overload (code-8611). 

When I tried to restore from backup it loads the global settings, the Impulse Responses but fails to load the presets and displays that same error message "DSP overload (code-8611)" and all the presets are blank.

I went back to Line 6 support site and installed the newest versions of all the programs for the HX Stomp, drivers included.

Then I opened the Line 6 Updater and tried downgrading the firmware to 2.82, openned the HX Editor and there was the same error displayed. Then upgraded to 2.92 again and it didn't work (same message DSP Overload - code 8611).
So now I lost all my presets, it doesn't even open the preset list view on the Editor, and I can't seem to be able to restore from backup.

How can I solve this?

P.S.: So now it doesn't display that same error but when I try to restore the Stomp it loads the names of the presets but fails to restore the blocks and settings. And if I use the editor to add blocks and make changes to these, it changes all the presets in the list. And this happens also if I use the Stomp on its own, which means that I make a preset in 1A and then I move to 1B to make a new preset and then if I save this second preset, every other one has changed also.

2020-09-22.png

This happened because you didn't follow the directions.

Uninstall HX Edit.

Perform a Factory Reset on your Helix.

Install HX Edit v2.92.

READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

The FW update is now done from HX Edit, NOT the updater!.

If you didn't back up your presets before you started, they might be gone.

Computers 101 - Back up EARLY and OFTEN!

• Upvote 1

I appreciate any helpfull contribution like the one rd2k provided but honestly that comment sounds like a bit of mockery, altough I apologize if it wasn't meant.

I did what I've been doing eversince I got the HX Stomp that is using the Line 6 Updater to install the most recent firmware. In the description of version 2.92 it only said that what were the bugs solved by it and said nothing that you should only update through the HX Edit from now on. In fact, if you're suposed to stop using Line 6 Updater then why does it continue to provide the firmware updates for HX Stomp or why is it that when you install the HX Edit 2.92 you're also installing the updater as well?

The thing that I usually do is simple: install the latest version of HX Edit, install the latest firmware and then connect the HX Stomp to the Editor. What I didn't do this time was creating a backup before this. But I do backup my stuff or else I wouldn't be able to recover all my presets and IR.

If there are precise instructions concerning this that are diferent please indicate me to them.

I'm a working musician (unfortunately due to Covid not gigging that much these days) not a computer tech and I like stuff that don't require me becoming one.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Nunovsky said:

The thing that I usually do is simple: install the latest version of HX Edit, install the latest firmware and then connect the HX Stomp to the Editor. ...

That's a good procedure as long as, when installing HX Edit. you choose to install all components: the HX Edit program, as well as the known-to-be-compatible versions of the Updater program and the drivers. People get into trouble when they use outdated versions of the Updater or drivers which can easily happen if you don't begin by installing HX Edit and all its components. Whether you install the firmware using the HX Edit program (which enforces a backup) or the Updater program directly (no backup required) shouldn't matter as long as you're using the compatible version of the Updater program.

So, the opening lines of your original post are: " I connected the HX Stomp to the updater and installed the newest firmware 2.92.
Well, then I openned the HX Editor to start working on some presets.
" The question is: are you sure you used the compatible version of the Updater program and associated drivers? Were they the version you downloaded and installed with the new HX Edit program or did you use a previous version?

22 hours ago, Nunovsky said:

I appreciate any helpfull contribution like the one rd2k provided but honestly that comment sounds like a bit of mockery, altough I apologize if it wasn't meant.

Unfortunately... Auto-snark is a trait that plagues these forums.  I rarely visit them anymore, and that is one of the main reasons.

Glad you got it sorted. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Just got that same problem, out of nowhere. I just turned on my HX stomp as every day, and all presets were gone. Started HX Edit to restore my backup and got the DSP Overload error while restoring. Restarted HX Edit and got DSP Overload error again.

Only option was to reset the unit and restore.

Just to say, isnt always user fault. ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I had this happen on my HX Effects. It was out of nowhere... well at least I wasn't updating firmware versions. I was updating some patches. I may have pulled in some previously purchased patches (Worship Tutorials most likely).

After making a series of edits and saving that message came up. However, I didn't realize it until I got to church that all 128 of my patches were unnamed and a signal chain I did not create. 

Today - I tried 1 reset process - holding 5-6 down while powering on and then I had 128 patches of Factory preset #2 .... I was then able to restore from a backup from 3 months ago. It appears to ok for now.

What is the likelihood this could occur again, randomly?

I've had Helix for going on 6 years, and HX Stomp for 3 years.

I've never had this happen.

I can't comment as to "likelihood", but it's a computer. Rule #1 applies:

"Back up early! Back up often!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll admit, It's a scary thought... get to a gig, start it up and find it blank. Backups don't do you any good unless you have a laptop in your trunk to restore from.

It appears to be very rare... I'll probably continue to play the odds that it won't happen to me. I always have a spare modeler on hand for emergencies, this seems to be a scenario that would qualify. 

• Upvote 2

I will definitely be backing up more often, especially if/when I make any significant edits in the future

I've had the HX Effects for over 5 years (and previously own a Helix) and nothing like this has happened before. 

On 6/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, ddewees said:

What is the likelihood this could occur again, randomly?

Not a valid statistic, but I've (had) 3 Helix (floor, rack and Stomp), along almost 8 years, and only get once on the stomp. I'm a OCD guy, so I had a full backup to restore.

Was indeed random, and not a user error. They are computers, and as computers they go fubar every now and then...

• Upvote 2

PierM - pretty similar to my experience in the past 8-10 years as I have had the Floor, LT and recently testing out Stomp and Stomp XL. I have had this HX FX for almost 5 years. 

This is the only actual "failure" I have experienced. I guess I should be backing up more often, especially after any significant edit sessions. 

I guess the other "backup" is to get better at creating a "go to" patch from scratch if I need to:  (drive, delay, modulation reverb)

In hindsight, I actually recorded the rehearsal on my phone and the patch I created on the fly didn't sound terrible; I had a usable OD sound with the Timmy and the Klon. I think I eventually tamed tamed the feedback and mix on one of the delays. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 12:03 PM, Duke_Skellington said:

I just had this happen tonight. All my presets are gone since my last backup. Obviously oim on 3.15. So i have to factory reset and download all those updates again!? And just as importantly, what caused it? 

After the reset you will still be on 3.15, so that's not a problem. Then restore your last backup and you'll be fine.

Happened to me too, out of nowhere...so it's one of those random glitches that happens to computers I guess. Since looks like it's happening after a boot (and not during a session), it could be related to a memory allocation error or R/W error while booting and/or shutting down...who knows. For sure is not your fault. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:03 AM, Duke_Skellington said:

And just as importantly, what caused it? 

Since it is extremely rare and can't be reproduced.... nobody knows yet. 

One precaution you can make (if you don't already) is to never touch anything while the unit is powering up. Don't move knobs, buttons or switches and don't plug things in while it's powering up. 

This is just an educated guess

• It won't be the code... or it would always happen, and it would happen to everyone.
  • It could be hardware... but only if the problem happens more and more over time. That would indicate something is wearing out / failing. 
  • Most likely it's a power issue. A spike or drop at precisely the wrong moment during the start up procedure. Plugging into a power conditioner is never a bad idea.
  • Upvote 2

To me happened to a basically brand new unit, which is powered behind two lines of protection; UPS and Power Conditioner. Voltage hits my pedalboard after Power Conditioner V/A has been stabilized (I do use the same line to protect my workstation NAS racks) so - at least in my case - I can totally rule out the power theory. I think it's just random stuff, and maybe just a weak spot that sometimes (rarely) is being triggered.

Never happened to my old floor or rack in 8 years. Looks more a HX thing.