Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native - New User Struggling with Native

daria1

HI All

I'm new to Helix and had an early version of Helix Native which I have just updated to the current v1.93.

I'm running Native in Reaper and am have a problem with the sounds I'm achieving. Best way I can describe it is that it sounds like I am getting mix of dry signal and wet signal. What I mean by this is that if I disable Native then I would have just an unaffected signal through Reaper - bland, dull and floppy on the pick attack. If I describe this as the dry signal and the wet signal as being what I would hear if I turn on Native, then what I hear is a mix of both with the dry signal dominating the pick attack. I have setup Native bearing in mind the correct input and output settings and going through a Focusrite Scarlett set to instrument. I am only using the stock presets for now. The cleaner presets seem to be a bit better but the medium and higher gain presets display this phenomenon badly, particularly the harder I pick. Lighter picking and it's less of a problem but still there. The presets don't sound like any of the demos I'm hearing.

I have been using S-Gear for some time now and don't have this same problem, either stand alone or in Reaper.

I'm sure there's something basic I am doing wrong or some Native or Reaper settings that I'm missing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this or where I can look?

You didn't specify which Scarlett you're using, but usually there's a big knob on the front which needs to be set full clockwise to get the pure processed signal.

However, this should work the same way with all VSTs, so can't say why it's not the same with S-Gear without more info on your system and settings.

11 hours ago, rd2rk said:

You didn't specify which Scarlett you're using, but usually there's a big knob on the front which needs to be set full clockwise to get the pure processed signal.

However, this should work the same way with all VSTs, so can't say why it's not the same with S-Gear without more info on your system and settings.

I'm using a Scarlett Solo. My gain knob is set so the input signal doesn't go into orange or red and I have it set as instrument in with direct monitor set to on. The input on Native is also set to ensure I'm between -35 and -12 db. I assume the big knob you're referring to is the monitor knob which set's the volume for the headphone out. Are you suggesting I need to crank this to max and then control output volume in Helix?

What other info would you need to help diagnose this problem? Or is the some basic setting that I'm missing?

Thanks

scarlettsolo-hero-806-330.png

18 hours ago, rd2rk said:

usually there's a big knob on the front which needs to be set full clockwise to get the pure processed signal.

6 hours ago, daria1 said:

I assume the big knob you're referring to is the monitor knob which set's the volume for the headphone out.

On your interface I believe he is referring to the "direct monitor" button. Make sure that is NOT engaged or you will hear the sound of your direct guitar along with the processed sound in Helix Native. 

Some interfaces uses a rotary knob for that control so you can blend the direct sound... your's just happens to have a push button.  

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

On your interface I believe he is referring to the "direct monitor" button. Make sure that is NOT engaged or you will hear the sound of your direct guitar along with the processed sound in Helix Native. 

Some interfaces uses a rotary knob for that control so you can blend the direct sound... your's just happens to have a push button.  

Many thanks for this. This solved it. Turned direct monitor off and now it works perfectly. Really not sure how I missed this, I missed have flicked the switch when pulling out my digital gear after a long absence and assumed the on setting was correct. Thanks again.

• Like 1