Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[WINDOWS-10] POD GO Through My PC Speaker

bLietaer

Dear 6-Liners,

I am in love with my POD GO, really beautiful toy.

So far I can use it with headphones plugged directly on it, USB plugged to my PC/Windows and have all audio outputs redirected within the POD GO, so playing over Youtube (for instance...) is made easy.

Now I want to do ....exactly the opposite: drop my headphones and have all audio outputs redirected to my PC Monitors/Speaker (usual/default/built-in Sound Adapter).

This requires to unplug the headphones and select the output device in the Windows mixer but I won't hear the POD GO... :/

(Of course, I could go into the volume mixer > inputs settings, select the POD GO input > check-box 'Listen to that device' and 'Apply', but then the delay between a string plug and actually hearing it is so long/annoying, I am sure I have it all wrong...)

What is the best practice in order to have it right ? Guidelines?

(All Windows 10 Line6 drivers installed)

Thank you for your inputs/comments !

Cheers,

Ben

you can use your pod asio driver. if you get latency, it's normal. you can reduce it by going to the line6 asio control panel and reduce the buffer size. the lower the buffer the less delay you get, but it might cause audio artifacts. so try different numbers until you find a good balance.

another option would be getting a proper external audio interface, with one or two inputs, where you would plug your main outs from the pod go. doing so you'd most probably get better performances and best experience overall.

Hey thank you for your fast and interesting responses ! :)

These are external Celestion speakers/monitors, so yes indeed I expect everything audio to be merged within the PC and then outputed through these... isn't it what they call 'DAW' ? :/

So I am not OK with the idea of buying a FOCUSRITE to plug my POD GO into it as I expect the POD GO to behave like a proper/decent external audio interface (am I _that_ wrong? :( )

BUT ! I didn't know about the "asio driver": will google that now.

(I was suspecting 'buffer/latency' settings, but expected these to be within the POD GO..but nowhere to be found)

1 hour ago, bLietaer said:

Hey thank you for your fast and interesting responses ! :)

These are external Celestion speakers/monitors, so yes indeed I expect everything audio to be merged within the PC and then outputed through these... isn't it what they call 'DAW' ? :/

So I am not OK with the idea of buying a FOCUSRITE to plug my POD GO into it as I expect the POD GO to behave like a proper/decent external audio interface (am I _that_ wrong? :( )

BUT ! I didn't know about the "asio driver": will google that now.

(I was suspecting 'buffer/latency' settings, but expected these to be within the POD GO..but nowhere to be found)

DAW is for digital audio workstation and it's just the software you use as a "virtual mixer" to record, play and mix audio (and sometimes video). Examples are Reaper, Logic pro, Pro tools, Cubase and so on...

Yes you can play audio with only the pod go but if you haven't already you need to download the asio driver of the pod go. The buffer/latency control is not inside the pod but it's a setting on the asio driver software.

I don't think there's such thing as exe GUI, at least not visible on the installer...first off you should see if in your audio devices pod go shows up, and/or if you open up your DAW (for example Reaper) on the audio devices you should find pod go, from there you also open the asio driver tweak panel. of course have your pod go connected.

Yup (and thank you not giving up on me), that's what I understand while re-re-re-reading the POD GO manual: the POD GO driver pop-up GUI is indeed to be called from a DAW SW.

So ....we need such a SW.

Bummer.

I think ProTools went for free with my RackEleven....never needed/installed thought: will try.

(And thus my 2 cents life-improvement: I wish the referenced "POD GO ASIO Driver" advertised from the POD GO manual PDF would actually be labeled "POD GO ASIO Driver" in the download zone page drop down menu :/   )

ProTools would be a solid choice. If no luck, give Reaper a shot, it's a free completely functional trial, and trial never expires, but actually buying the license is quite cheap.

(And thus my 2 cents life-improvement: I wish the referenced "POD GO ASIO Driver" advertised from the POD GO manual PDF would actually be labeled "POD GO ASIO Driver" in the download zone page drop down menu :/   )

indeed...

Hehe that would be the wet dream indeed...

Well, actually nothing gets swap back and forth ...except my headphones jack: so that was the idea of merging/using the PC as the main mixer and have everything going through its main audio adapter as output (and POD GO as audio adapter input) but I am learning the hard way through this post that is not the way to go indeed (at least not without a decent DAW SW)

I was a bit confused, since - as we can tell from all these guitar/POD GO videos - in 2020, home/room playing guitar is mainly in front of a computer: all these Jason and Olga are indeed directly playing through monitors but most probably, as you guys are saying: either through an external mixer or internal PC mixer (DAW SW).

1 hour ago, bLietaer said:

all these Jason and Olga are indeed directly playing through monitors but most probably, as you guys are saying: either through an external mixer or internal PC mixer (DAW SW).

some pc speakers have more than 1 input, that is, the main-in plus an "aux in". if you are lucky to have 2 you can plug your pod there (maybe with the help of an adapter if you have connectors mismatch). or, if you have only one input, plug the pod there, and have your pc with the headphone out plugged into the fx return of the pod (so you can listen and jam along to the pc audio). that could be another solution.

6 hours ago, bLietaer said:

so that was the idea of merging/using the PC as the main mixer and have everything going through its main audio adapter as output

Unless you have a pro-audio soundcard designed for pro-audio production, using your pc as the output is virtually junk. Also, in the pc world, audio interfaces relay on ASIO drivers that run at the hardware level. So your device, in this case the POD Go, needs to be both the Input and Output device. There are work arounds, but the results are typically garbage. 

Hey guys.

I've installed the "Line6Driver2PodGov1.95Installer.exe" file from the download page, but in device manager I see this:

image.png.9179e944e108af58da75a83c6eb8efb2.png

In addition, the device doesn't show up in the Windows audio control:

image.png.ada29a478c3514e9325160b4c66d5e8c.png

In the list above, Realtek is the built-in motherboard sound card and Dell is the monitor audio - Line 6 isn't there.

Here's device properties:

image.png.400dceadfd520980bff37c6bd80c3c57.png

Please advise.

Best regards,

Shimmy