Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't work out how presets work?

JamieCrain

Hi all,

I've had my Shuriken for about 3 months now and I still can't work out how presets work when using the dials on the guitar and wondering if there is a problem.

For example, when i use the Shuriken with my Firehawk FX and switch foot presets, the guitar seems to select a random model from the guitar's User banks i.e. the selected model on the guitar doesn't carry over from preset to preset. If am playing in Drop D, and the change to a new FH preset, the tuning suddenly becomes drop A (or something else). I can only get the Shuriken to use the correct model if i rotate both the model knob and alt tuning knob/selector switch back and forth after changing patches. Naturally this means the guitar is practically unusable for any song where I need more than patch.

I have checked the FHFX - no the FH preset does not have a Variax model selected. There is no reason I can find that explains why the guitar chooses something different.

THe other thing I have noticed is that if I use the FHFX to assign a Shuriken model,  all the model names are labelled incorrectly. e.g. if I tell Preset 1 to use the SPank 1 model in the FH app, the actual model selected will be something else. The only time it is correct is if I select one of the User banks.

Maybe these things are related, perhaps not, but it sure is making it hard to use. Any tips would be gratefully received! 

Hello

Do you check on the Firehawk > Variax section if you have

Model & tuning Controlled by Variax or Firehawk?

Also you need to save the preset with model & tuning on each preset on the FH

If the Model is controlled by Variax =you stay with the model selected on your guitar

If the model is controlled by the Firehawk =You model change with the SAVED preset

Thanks, yes I’ve checked that. 

I’ve  also discovered that the problem happens if I manually change the model on the guitar using the knobs. E.g. I rotate the model to User I and I expect to hear a certain model/tuning combo. I seem to get one or the other but not both until I change the tuning knob as well as the model knob. 

Or, I have to flick the blade switch up and back for the correct sound to flow through. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this - I have recently discovered (a bit late), that the "Controlled by Firehwak/Variax" option in the Firehawk app seems to be a global setting. i.e. change it once, and it applies to all presets regardless of what is saved in the preset. As far as I can tell, this isn't described in the Variax manual.

I might be mistaken too, but this seems to be the only global setting in the whole Firehawk app, hence why I missed it for so long. Upshot is, I need to set up my Variax Shuriken AND Firehawk based on whether this setting is on or off for all presets, and not deviate.

I still haven't worked out why the FH incorrectly names the model banks in the app - any thoughts welcome how to fix this.

1) Do you have the Shuriken Bundle?

2) The Firehawk FX have default presets that come with each effect. In the app under "V" for Variax, there should be a setting to turn that off,

so that the Variax Models function independently from the Firehawk.

Hi there, yes I have the Shuriken bundle installed, though I have already modded the presets.

4 hours ago, psarkissian said:

2) The Firehawk FX have default presets that come with each effect. In the app under "V" for Variax, there should be a setting to turn that off,

so that the Variax Models function independently from the Firehawk.

In the app, you can choose either Firehawk or Variax to control the preset, for tuning and for model. For me, I don't want to be using knobs on the guitar, so I select FH. I can't see an "off" option. The model listed by the FH is completely wrong. See pic. If i choose say Spank 1 from the list, the actual model on the guitar is World 1. And vice versa. Only the Custom banks are reflected correctly.

I suppose the worst case is I have to learn a different name for my preferred variax models though it is a little annoying. Perhaps a factory reset might fix?

IMG_E5629087364D-1.jpeg

No not pick-up mode, it's for deciding whether the iDevice app controls the guitar or whether you do it manually.

Going from mags to models is done from the model knob on the guitar. Once in model mode, either you or the 

iDevice app determines the model being selected.

You can choose the model for the preset using the iDevice app as well.

Yes I've used that, but the issue is that the model in the iDevice doesn't match the guitar. So I choose a certain model in the app, and I hear a completely different one. Or, I rotate the guitar knob to a model while connected through VDI, and the app sees something completely different. It's like all the labels in the app are wrong. The sound matches what i have selected on the knob (provided that I have physically rotated the knob). I think maybe i'll attach some pics/vids.

" the model in the iDevice doesn't match the guitar. ", " I rotate the guitar knob to a model while connected through VDI, and the app sees something completely different.  "---

1) Either the iDevice is controlling the guitar, because each effect has a preset guitar model  associated with it. That can be turned off, so you are controlling from the the guitar.

2) Or, the Shuriken Bundle is not loaded in your guitar, go to,...

... for the Shuriken Bundle.

Thanks psarkissian,

I definitely have the Shuriken bundle.

23 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

" the model in the iDevice doesn't match the guitar. ", " I rotate the guitar knob to a model while connected through VDI, and the app sees something completely different.  "---

1) Either the iDevice is controlling the guitar, because each effect has a preset guitar model  associated with it. That can be turned off, so you are controlling from the the guitar.

I want to use the FH to control everything ideally, so I don't have to touch the knobs ever. When editing via the app, I can either select the model on the guitar (nice and quick and the app changes in real time), or I can use the model slider in the app. The issue is, whichever way I choose to edit, the names are wrong. e.g. If I select "Chime1" on the app, I hear a Spank through the speakers. Or I select a User preset on the guitar, I will hear the User model, but the app will display Spank. See the pics, the names don't match.

All the sounds are there if you keep scrolling through, but it makes editing very confusing. Time for factory reset?

IMG_8610.jpg

IMG_8609.jpg

Either the app has control of the Variax through its effect preset in what's called "force mode" and it needs to be turned off,

or you don't have the Shuriken Bundle loaded in the Variax.

Also, logging a Support ticket in your account would be a good idea.

"... about switching force mode off. Can you be more specific? I don’t see a switch anywhere. " --- On the iDevice app, switch off models.

Do you have a photo of the whole screen?

https://line6.com/data/6/0a064389f12c5564c72bd7f4a/application/pdf/Firehawk FX Pilot's Guide - English ( Rev E ).pdf

pages 10-12

Ok so I talked to support yesterday and they said it was an overlook and the shuriken is NOT set up in the firmware like the other variax models and they have no intentions of updating it. So, buy a helix or get rid of the shuriken pretty much. Firehawk is no longer supported by line 6 or yamaha. The issue is that the shuriken has more set points on the knobs for the Stevic custom settings. It is the only variax that has these Extra positions and therefore Extra selection modes. So when connected to the firehawk it confuses the ui. So all settings are Off and almost unable to be used. 

Thanks. I think that explains both issues. The models on the Shuriken don’t match what the app expects to see. 

I’ve spent a huge amount of time trying to set this Shuriken/firehawk combo up so I can load tunings and models instantly via the firehawk and it looks like it just can’t be done. Nothing works the way I expect it, sometimes models load, other times not. It just makes no sense.

Such a disappointment. Looks like it I will have to get a helix if I ever expect this combo to play well together. 

Yeah. Line 6 should really update the firehawk firmware for the shuriken. I use my gear on the road in a one man show. I have over $7000 in line 6 equipment. I'm thinking of selling it all now. Just leaves a bitter taste behind. I'm sure it would only take one of the I.T. department only a few days work to set it up. So... I guess I'm going to open a support ticket and start making calls with the hope someone will realize how big of an oversight this is and fix it. 

" I'm sure it would only take one of the I.T. department only a few days work to set it up. " --- Product firmware is not IT department, beyond setting up

the web connections and pathways.

Product firmware takes more than a few days to create the update, test it, and make sure it complies with standard

for publicly available software.

https://line6.ideascale.com 

It's where people go for product feature requests and such.

Yeah but this has been an issue for 4 years. They said on the phone they have known about this for the last four years but helix is priority not firehawk. Even though it says in the shuriken description comparable with firehawk. Maybe they just need another 4 years lol.