Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix on Windows XP

RJKole

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone has managed to run the Helix on Windows XP (USB like). I am running a fixed software setup on a windows xp environment and would like to use the helix as USB device. ( Midi and perhaps Audio, no Editor and Software Updates of corse). Many many other audio devices work on windows xp (example Axe-Fx II, Behringers ect.), i am aware that USB port hardware doesnt differ much throughout devices its only the programming that doesnt let one use it on XP. Sometimes 3rd party stuff tricks make things work, any hints in that direction are highly appreciate. 

(Please dont start a discussion why i am not using Windows 3,1 oder Windows 124 ;-) - Thanks

RJ

I don't think any of the Helix software is written for XP. 

The biggest problem is that XP was already "unsupported by Microsoft" when the Helix came out.

Windows 7 is the first OS on the Download list that shows Helix downloads. 

The cut off year was 2014. Any hardware prior to that likely came with optional XP drivers. Hardware that came after that most likely did not.  

As for tricking the Windows 7 install files into loading on XP... good luck with that.

XP was 32 bit (other than a rare version) and I don't even know if there is a 32 bit version of the Helix installers. 

I dont think the USB interface would require a 64bit computer. In my opinion its a matter of the software thats been written for the computer, in this case win xp, which communicates with the USB interface. I understand that helix has been introduced after xp has lost MS support, but thats not a reason for someone to still write a software for it. For example i wrote a tool for xp where you can partly remote the helix through midi and midi doesnt require 64bit neither. (i am not an expert USB like, thats i thought i ask this querstion here)

Perhaps i get lucky one day ;-)

RJ

58 minutes ago, RJKole said:

I dont think the USB interface would require a 64bit computer. In my opinion its a matter of the software thats been written for the computer, in this case win xp, which communicates with the USB interface. I understand that helix has been introduced after xp has lost MS support, but thats not a reason for someone to still write a software for it. For example i wrote a tool for xp where you can partly remote the helix through midi and midi doesnt require 64bit neither. (i am not an expert USB like, thats i thought i ask this querstion here)

Perhaps i get lucky one day ;-)

RJ

Well there's an enormous difference between a MIDI utility and native devices and software written to work with the underlying operating system services.  MIDI is a simple communications protocol that's been around for decades and was written specifically to be operating system independent.  That doesn't compare to calling on underlying native services in a specific operating system that's changed dramatically since Windows 7 in particular.  The reason Windows 7 was dropped from support is because the underlying service calls were no longer consistent as far as calling parameters or in behavior with the more modern versions of the operating system.  The fact is the internal structure of all arguments passed to services inherently change once you move to 64 bit.

3 hours ago, RJKole said:

I understand that helix has been introduced after xp has lost MS support, but thats not a reason for someone to still write a software for it.

Why would any company waste resources developing drivers for DEAD operating systems? Once Microsoft drops support, the number of systems in the wild diminish exponentially in the months to follow. They supported Windows 7 which was already long in the tooth by 2015.  

You can certainly "wish" for someone to write a 32 bit XP driver.... but prepare to wait a long time. 

15 hours ago, codamedia said:

Why would any company waste resources developing drivers for DEAD operating systems?

Simply to satisfy/reach old/more customers. Attention to customers is never wasted in my eyes. Besides in large companies service is certainly not a matter of resoures, rather a matter of will. But please dont lets start a Win 3,1 discussion ;-)

1 hour ago, RJKole said:

Simply to satisfy/reach old/more customers. Attention to customers is never wasted in my eyes. Besides in large companies service is certainly not a matter of resoures, rather a matter of will. But please dont lets start a Win 3,1 discussion ;-)

Sorry, but that's just incredibly naive.  No company and no product in the world is supported indefinitely because it becomes increasingly costly and steals significant resources from current LOYAL customers and current product improvements as time and technology move forward.  And that's exactly as it should be.  If that's your impression of what is "right", then why would you be hypocritical and suggest Windows 3.1 shouldn't be considered in the conversation?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RJKole said:

Simply to satisfy/reach old/more customers.

I am constantly baffled by people who buy into a relatively modern, high tech piece of equipment, and then expect it communicate with obsolete gear.

Support for XP ended in 2009, Helix was released into the world June 11, 2015 - six years later!

I know they say, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but seriously, you’re expecting backward compatibility for something 11 years out of date?

Hope this makes sense

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RJKole said:

Besides in large companies service is certainly not a matter of resources, rather a matter of will.

Large Companies? Just how big do you think Line 6 is? 

Besides, your comment is completely upside down and backward regardless of the size of company.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...