Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacing Hd500 Power Jack. Experiences?

stumblinman

Anyone done this themselves? It's a 3 prong jack and costs 3 bucks. My local L6 repair shops are not the most scrupulous of places, charging minimum $75 deposit/shop charge.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, having done pedal mods, amp repair and guitar work. Just curious if anyone on here has done it themselves and has any advice before I crack this puppy open. All the photos show it's a single PCB with just the 3 prongs. Anything I should know?

Owned Pod for over 2 years so voiding warranty isn't an issue. Thanks in advance fellas.

press on. cap'n ;) i haven't done it, but with your experience, i don't think you should worry. the only problem i foresee would be that if the pcb was secured with the solder points facing in such a way, that would facilitate removing it for access

I've replaced the USB connnector and didn't have any particular difficulty. The USB connector was thru-hole, which was a hassle, and I expect the power connector to be the same. In fact, while you're in there you should replace the USB connector as well. It'll break on you one of these days and it seems the replacement units you can get are much more sturdy.

• Upvote 1

I've replaced the USB connnector and didn't have any particular difficulty. The USB connector was thru-hole, which was a hassle, and I expect the power connector to be the same. In fact, while you're in there you should replace the USB connector as well. It'll break on you one of these days and it seems the replacement units you can get are much more sturdy.

Did you pull the main PCB out, or were you able to just remove the back panel to access everything you needed?

i replaced the volume pot in my xt and yes the screen was attached by ribbon. i'm assuming it's the same with the 500. the only small pain for the xt was pulling or wedging the knobs off. they were held on by metal clips that were inside the plastic knob, shaped like a small pair of tweezers with the ends curved inward. i used 2 small screwdrivers and placed them under the knob and with even pressure pried them up. i hope they're not the same. protect the surface with some heavy tape  

IFRC, there were only a few a ribbon cables but they all disconnect easily. There was a little finagling required but nothing too undaunting. The buttons have a snug fit but can unexpectedly pop off when you, um, don't expect it. The menu control buttons fall out - nothing holds them to the pcb. Be sure you find ALL the screws before you pull too hard. There are screws on the back panel as well as the bottom panel. The first time I did it the knobs went flying off when I pulled the PCB loose, so 1) take them off first, or 2) get a 2nd pair of eyes to watch for flying parts, or 3) don't do this over carpeting. Good luck. If you've tinkered much with electronics you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you HAVEN'T tinkered much then this unit isn't unusually difficult. It may be a good place to learn, albeit it's somewhat expensive to replace. You don't really have a choice, right? You've got to fix the power plug. As I said before, I'd go ahead and replace the USB connector as well while you're in there.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, the process is fairly simple if you go slowly and gently.  I finished up last night.  All in all it took about an hour.

The most difficult part was removing the knobs below the display.  They were fairly snug and took some finesse.  Other than that, all of the ribbon cables are glued in place to prevent them from falling out.  Removing the glue was simple but scary.  Thanks for the input everyone, my Pod is working flawlessly again.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Would anyone happen to have a link to where I can purchase a new power input piece and possibly another USB connector too?

fullcompass.com stocks them, but I don't have the link in front of me. Search the forums as I know both have been linked to, or simply call L6 and ask for the part numbers. They were the ones that referred me to fullcompass and told me what part number to look for.