Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beyerdynamic DT770, DT1770 and DT1990

daria1

Hi All

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to play through either Helix Native (Focusrite Scarlett) and HX Stomp. This is just for quite practice home playing so no mixing. I have a line on pair of new Beyerdynamic DT1770 at a good price but it will still be more than double what I would pay for a set of DT770 250ohm. I don;t need closed backs so another option is a set of DT1990.

Anyone using the DT1770 have any comments how they work with modellers? Better yet anyone able to compare them to the DT770 and feel they are a worthy upgrade?

Alternatively anyone using the DT1990 and can comment in how they compare with DT1770?

I'd also be interested any comments on general music listening

I own a pair of DT 770 and like them because at higher volume they give a great representation of the frequency spectrum in a live situation. And I really hear the details of any room FX I dialed in.

Other then that I think upgrading would be a rabbit hole that I don't want to get trapped in. "Better" becomes pretty subjective when applied to pro level equipment.

Pretty much around here and in the general Helix modeling world the DT770 is pretty much a key workhorse.  There's lots of reasons for that but it's mostly because they are consistent and with very little coloration which makes them easy to integrate with studio speakers and live speakers accurately.

Here's a good comparative review of both:  https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro/440/714

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Pretty much around here and in the general Helix modeling world the DT770 is pretty much a key workhorse.  There's lots of reasons for that but it's mostly because they are consistent and with very little coloration which makes them easy to integrate with studio speakers and live speakers accurately.

Here's a good comparative review of both:  https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro/440/714

I like the look of these cans. What's the proper resistance to select when buying? 80ohms, 250ohms?

2 hours ago, amenity421 said:

I like the look of these cans. What's the proper resistance to select when buying? 80ohms, 250ohms?

I prefer the 80 ohm.  Not so low that you get noise and too much volume, and not so high that you need to turn up the volume to get a big, full sound.

Thanks all for the info. Yeah the rabbit hole of headphones and the audiophile world is something I want to avoid. And honestly I wouldn't even hear the difference unless it's back to back critical listening.

DT770 is probably the better option for me. Not overly expensive and is an industry standard for a reason. The way I'm looking at it now is that I prefer not to spend too much on a closed backed design. I have never had closed back headphones and want to experiment with them.  So the DT770 is a good, and a cheaper, option for now, and if like the Beyer sound and choose to spend more than I can look at the DT1990 for the open back design (or is the 1990 classed more as semi??).