Jump to content
EBMM5150

Circular delays

Recommended Posts

I have been wondering is there a way to do circular delays with the helix rack? I have most things covered and sometimes i only use the helix as a interface to my computer and then other times its my whole sound. I have looked with no luck but was just curious. Thanks for any help!

setup.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Line6 land, a circular delay is when the next version is circling the airport, but not quite ready to land.

 

I suspect that's not what you mean, so WTH is a circular delay? Something you need surround sound for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its 3 delays in a single delay setting. lets say 200/400/600. one is panned hard left the other hard right and the final center. Its something that was made popular with lexicon and steve lukather. Its very different then a stereo or ping pong delay. I run a w/d/w rig centered on a EVH 5150 III amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Split Path 1 into A&B with separate Inputs and Outputs. Path 2 needn't be split unless you want to do something else with it's Path B.

Set all Paths with identical blocks except for the delays and Pan accordingly.

Limits the complexity of Path 1 due to the DSP requirements of two amps and cabs, but could get the result you're after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fwiw, 200/400/600 IMO possibly isn't  the best idea for this. The delays being multiples of each other will possibly generate note doublings which would stand out too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EBMM5150 said:

Its 3 delays in a single delay setting. lets say 200/400/600.


Is this not possible to do using a Multi-Tap 6 delay within Helix. This allows for up to 4 seconds delay where 6 taps can be added at varying percentages of the base delay time, they can also be panned up to 100% left or right, zero being centre. Set the base time at 600ms and divide the others to suit. I guess you could use only 3 of the 6 “taps” by turning the others off (i.e. turn down the level), and pan them accordingly, or go crazy by using all 6.

 

I’m not in the studio right now, so I am unable to check the theory. Also, I would only be using studio monitors, therefore I’m unsure how it would work on a WDW setup. If you have delays going out left, right and centre doesn’t that mean all outputs are regarded as “wet”? Just a thought, I wouldn’t know.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, datacommando said:


Is this not possible to do using a Multi-Tap 6 delay within Helix. This allows for up to 4 seconds delay where 6 taps can be added at varying percentages of the base delay time, they can also be panned up to 100% left or right, zero being centre. Set the base time at 600ms and divide the others to suit. I guess you could use only 3 of the 6 “taps” by turning the others off (i.e. turn down the level), and pan them accordingly, or go crazy by using all 6.

 

I’m not in the studio right now, so I am unable to check the theory. Also, I would only be using studio monitors, therefore I’m unsure how it would work on a WDW setup. If you have delays going out left, right and centre doesn’t that mean all outputs are regarded as “wet”? Just a thought, I wouldn’t know.

 

 

 

Yep, that works! If, of course, that's the effect he's after. But it sure sounds circular to me. I left the "time" at 1s and set Taps 1-2-3 at scales of 25-50-75, panned L-C-R, and Mix at 50%.

By playing with Time and Feedback you can get some crazy stuff happening. I can only imagine what using all 6 Taps with assorted scale settings would sound like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Fwiw, 200/400/600 IMO possibly isn't  the best idea for this. The delays being multiples of each other will possibly generate note doublings which would stand out too much.

those numbers were just used as a number thats all.  mine are 292/584/888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, datacommando said:


Is this not possible to do using a Multi-Tap 6 delay within Helix. This allows for up to 4 seconds delay where 6 taps can be added at varying percentages of the base delay time, they can also be panned up to 100% left or right, zero being centre. Set the base time at 600ms and divide the others to suit. I guess you could use only 3 of the 6 “taps” by turning the others off (i.e. turn down the level), and pan them accordingly, or go crazy by using all 6.

 

I’m not in the studio right now, so I am unable to check the theory. Also, I would only be using studio monitors, therefore I’m unsure how it would work on a WDW setup. If you have delays going out left, right and centre doesn’t that mean all outputs are regarded as “wet”? Just a thought, I wouldn’t know.

 

 

the delays go hard left then right then both so the center cab is always dry but the 3rd delay makes it seem like everything comes back to the middle and meets

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EBMM5150 said:

the delays go hard left then right then both so the center cab is always dry but the 3rd delay makes it seem like everything comes back to the middle and meets

 

Is that what you're looking for?

In the attached example I've set the delay time at the max of 4s to make the effect most apparent. Mix is at 100%.

The sound goes L-C-R and repeats, all positions.

Not sure what exactly you're after.....

circular.hlx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Yep, that works!

 

I have just been in the studio for an hour and messed around doing the same thing except I set the delay to 3 seconds 100% in the centre,  and then 66% 100 right, and 33%  100Left. Damn crazy stuff, there when you crank up the feedback. Good fun, only now I have go back in the house - I need to eat!

L8R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...