Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Harley Benton Stereo Active Cabinet opinions

KubaP

In case the specs shown at Thomann aren't wrong, this might not be a decent thing. Says it's going down to 90Hz. Now, the E6 string on a guitar in standard tuning is at 82.5Hz. Might not be too bad because the specs usually only decribe the range inside which the speaker will work linear, so frequencies below won't be completely lost and things may still be sufficient for any typical electric guitar sounds (real guitar cabs usually cutt the lows around that frequency range, too). But then, in case I'm using a modeler, I might as well use less typical sounds, such as a baritone guitar not running into a guitar cab. Or even a bass here and there. And I could very well imagine this cab to fall pretty short in any such cases.

Incredible price, though, in case you only need typical sounds, it might be worth a consideration - but it might as well just be too cheap to deliver decent quality.

41 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

In case the specs shown at Thomann aren't wrong, this might not be a decent thing. Says it's going down to 90Hz. Now, the E6 string on a guitar in standard tuning is at 82.5Hz. Might not be too bad because the specs usually only decribe the range inside which the speaker will work linear, so frequencies below won't be completely lost and things may still be sufficient for any typical electric guitar sounds (real guitar cabs usually cutt the lows around that frequency range, too). But then, in case I'm using a modeler, I might as well use less typical sounds, such as a baritone guitar not running into a guitar cab. Or even a bass here and there. And I could very well imagine this cab to fall pretty short in any such cases.

Incredible price, though, in case you only need typical sounds, it might be worth a consideration - but it might as well just be too cheap to deliver decent quality.

Normally a frequency response curve is the result of a free-field measurement. In a real use case the box stands on the floor which increases bass response.

Also these cabs have active resonance and presence controls to fine tune for different environments. 

35 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

Normally a frequency response curve is the result of a free-field measurement. In a real use case the box stands on the floor which increases bass response.

Also these cabs have active resonance and presence controls to fine tune for different environments. 

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but still, 90Hz seems to be quite high, especially compared to other contenders. Even my lowly Alto TS310 goes down to 50Hz (well, they even say 48), which, given my tests, seems to be pretty much correct, so that's almost an octave already.

I'm not saying this will make it unusable, but given the specs, it might rule out some use scenarios. Of course, in case the rolloff below 90Hz isn't too steep, one might not even notice in daily life. Guess only a thorough hands on testride would reveal whether it's really a crucial limitation.

1 minute ago, SaschaFranck said:

Guess only a thorough hands on testride would reveal whether it's really a crucial limitation.

This is the reason why I wrote here. Maybe someone has a real experience with this cam. Unfortunately, I can't find a tests on YouTube.

Kuba

I would not be too worried about the low frequencies; this is not the frequency range where a guitar sits in the mix anyhow. However, the weight of this cabinet is impressive ... not easy to carry with one hand while carrying your guitar in the other and the Helix on your back ....

That said, very curious to learn how it sounds. I expect to see comparisons with the powercab coming online soon :-) 

16 minutes ago, Hillman1312 said:

I would not be too worried about the low frequencies; this is not the frequency range where a guitar sits in the mix anyhow.

Well, as said, an open E6 string is kicking in at 82.5Hz. Use a Baritone and you may run into severe limitations already - obviously depending on the slope of the rolloff below 90Hz.

16 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

It must be quite new. I saw it for the first time today and I've searched for FRFR stuff some weeks ago .

Same here, I was especially looking for some stereo cabs, kinda like just in case because all that Corona business had me getting back into quite some stereo love affairs (ever since some crazy 90s wet/dry/wet rack experiments I have turned into a "live = strictly mono!" guy) and a single 2x12 cab is a lot easier to deal with onstage than 2 separate monitors. So yes, it's defenitely very new, not even available in Germany (home of Thomann) yet. I doubt there'll be much first hand reports at this point in time.

1 hour ago, KubaP said:

It is available

Przechwytywanie.thumb.PNG.c73f743cdbf2bcf5d056cd950e6bad9b.PNG

How about this one - better frequency response an looks like a FRFR cab more than the one in your post. Lower cost too!

I realise it is not stereo, but what sort of stereo image would you get out of that box? Stereo needs a little more space to be really effective. (Don’t mention Roland JC)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_frfr_112a_guitar_dsp_monitor.htm

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Edit
  • Like 1