Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 .hir proprietary file format

brue58ski

I was looking at the new offering from Ownhammer at the Line 6 Marketplace and saw this at the end of one of their offerings

All files are provided in .hir proprietary file format for use exclusively in your compatible Line 6 Helix, HX, and/or POD Go registered devices and software.

What are .hlr files? Do they just go into the IR slots? Or do they somehow populate the speaker selections?

From all I know (which is just based on some observations, so don't necessarily trust me on this...) they're kinda encrypted IRs (I think something similar exists for commercial patches), which likely require some kind of extra authoring software, possibly only available to officially approved Line 6 marketplace vendors. The idea behind them most likely being some kind of better protection against copyright infringement.

Yeeeah hahahahah I think they're pretty much normal IRs but in a format only the Helix can use, kind of like the Fractal Axe FX with their Cab Packs, there's no way I'm buying it for now, one because I already own a ton of IRs and they always try to sell them as "the best IRs we have ever made", and then only being able to use them with the Helix is a huge disadvantage.

14 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

So you do just drop them in the IR list or do you have to convert them somehow before you do that?

You just treat them like normal IRs. You just have to be signed into your Line 6 account in HX Edit for them to work.

53 minutes ago, phil_m said:

You just have to be signed into your Line 6 account in HX Edit for them to work.

Ooh, that could be a bundle of fun for someone doing live gigs - if that ever comes back!

I suppose that will require anyone using the DRM style IRs to have a laptop on stage with them?

5 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Ooh, that could be a bundle of fun for someone doing live gigs - if that ever comes back!

I suppose that will require anyone using the DRM style IRs to have a laptop on stage with them?

No. They're fine once they're loaded onto the hardware. You just need to be signed into the HX Edit when you drop them into the IR library.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, datacommando said:

Nah, you need to be connected to your account when you load them into your Helix, so it can be checked whether you're a legitimate owner. Once inside the Helix, they can be used just as any other IR.

Possibly not exactly too comfortable for some people, though. Until not too long ago, my main music refuge had zero options to connect to the net (no mobile internet at all, either), so anything requiring online access had me haul around my Mac Pro. That's how I learned to loathe machine-based online activation. Imagine my happiness when installing Logic, which comes in at a whooping 80GB that you can only download onto the target machine (unless you have a second suitable Mac). For plan authorizations I was always just moving up a floor to some office where my mobile net worked, but that couldn't cover 80GB (it's capped at 10GB/month. quite the usual thing here in communication wasteland), so I had to get the entire shebang home with me. Grrr.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Until not too long ago, my main music refuge had zero options to connect to the net (no mobile internet at all, either), so anything requiring online access had me haul around my Mac Pro.

That was exactly the worry I had about anyone who was touring and needed to access the internet from somewhere in a blackspot.

If its a case of "once loaded you're good to go", that's fine.

6 hours ago, petrkyt said:

And if it works with Powercab Plus?

I don’t believe Marketplace support has been added to Powercab Edit yet, so as of now, IRs from the Marketplace can’t be loaded on the Powercab.