Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 or 250 ohms??

daria1

Hi All

I've settled on the DT770 for guitar playing through Helix Native (Scarlet Solo). There are a couple of threads on here from a few years back asking for recommendations on the preferred impedance plus info scattered across various threads. Good info in those threads but a lot of it is comments from people only owning one impedance. I have also done a lot of reading and watched youtube reviews so have a sense of the strengths and weaknesses of each, but that's in the context of general music listening and other non guitar uses.

Anyone able to compare both impedances and recommend which is best for guitar playing - home practice? 

BTW - I have an Objective O2 headphone if needed to run the 250 ohm version.

Thanks

1 hour ago, daria1 said:

Anyone able to compare both impedances and recommend which is best for guitar playing - home practice?

I thought this question had been answered on here previously, but it still keeps on cropping up.

For what should be the definitive reply to this, I will refer you to the comment posted by Digital Igloo (Eric Klein - Line 6 Chief Product Designer) in this old thread.

Plus here is an article which specifically mentions the 3 different impedances of the DT770 headphones.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Link added
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

I thought this question had been answered on here previously, but it still keeps on cropping up.

For what should be the definitive reply to this, I will refer you to the comment posted by Digital Igloo (Eric Klein - Line 6 Chief Product Designer) in this old thread.

Plus here is an article which specifically mentions the 3 different impedances of the DT770 headphones.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks datacommando. I did come across that thread but must have glossed over Digital Igloo's comments. I did read a comment early in my research, possibly here or somewhere else, that the 250 ohm works better for Helix but couldn't find out where I read it so was unable to revisit the comment. All other commentary on the two was either what people personally own either version but not both or in the context of general usage.

I'll take a read of the thread you posted. Had a quick skim and it looks an interesting read.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I only have the 250, but the difference between the two when playing through a Helix is pretty straight forward.   Your headphone knob will just be turned a little higher with the 250 version compared to the 80.  If you run out of space on quiet patches,  you just up the output block a little.  Sound quality is identical in this case.  

My Stereo can drive the 250s pretty well.  If I was just listening through a laptop, I'd definitely go for the 80s.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, erabjohns said:

I only have the 250, but the difference between the two when playing through a Helix is pretty straight forward.   Your headphone knob will just be turned a little higher with the 250 version compared to the 80.  If you run out of space on quiet patches,  you just up the output block a little.  Sound quality is identical in this case.  

My Stereo can drive the 250s pretty well.  If I was just listening through a laptop, I'd definitely go for the 80s.  

Thanks, that's good practical advice given the context.

3 hours ago, erabjohns said:

I too have the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm version. I have not encountered any issues with insufficient level from my Helix Floor, Helix Stomp, Dell XPS15 Laptop, nor stereo systems. Come to think of it, though I've never used them with any of my Focusrite Interfaces. YMMV.

I have found that the the Beyer DT770Pro are position sensitive as to how I have the cans positioned on my ears. A very slight shift forward or aft, alters the way I hear the high end. I have not encountered this phenomena of any of the other brands of headphones I have.

• Upvote 1