Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

finally settled into new place....can't get Reaper to connect.

themetallikid

I connect the USB between Helix/Laptop which is all I needed to do pre-move....however Reaper updated so maybe that changed some things.  I dont get my track inputs to choose.  

I choose Asio Driver, but its for the Xair mixer...or HX Stomp.  However it gives me an error 'opening the audio hardware'.    There area other 'system audio' options, but none seem right.

What am I missing here? 

Follow up...I am doing a recording for my daughters bday, and I want to take the audio from Spotify/You Tube to use as a skeleton scratch track for reference and it will disappear in the final version....do I set a channel to record from USB?  How do I do that...??

9 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Follow up...I am doing a recording for my daughters bday, and I want to take the audio from Spotify/You Tube to use as a skeleton scratch track for reference and it will disappear in the final version....do I set a channel to record from USB?  How do I do that...??

Hi Kid,

The best way to deal with that would be to get an MP3 version of the audio you want to use as a guide, and load that as a track in Reaper. Then you play that track back using it as a reference while recording your other accompanying (software) instruments on other tracks. When you have your version how you want it, delete the guide audio from the project an print your final stereo mix to disc as whatever file type you require, eg. wav, aiff, MP3.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I got it figured out.  I was able to 'record' the spotify/mp3 version into a track and use that as a scratch reference.  Recorded my acoustic guitar playing along with it and my vocals singing along with it, then removed the track and monitored/mixed it back just guitar/vocals.  Worked well.  

Now I'm not as schooled in some of the studio/post magic, but I have it somewhat decent. and will work for what it was. 

Was recording a version of Dear Daughter by Halestorm for my daughters 5th birthday on Tuesday.  Shockingly didnt have to change the key while singing....few parts I may wanna clean up yet, but sounds pretty decent.  Any FX Chains anyone wants to share for acoustic/vocals/overall mix?  lol

8 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Any FX Chains anyone wants to share for acoustic/vocals/overall mix?

Hi again,

I would suggest the usual suspects for this, eg: a little light compression, slight chorus, and reverb to suit would work on both vox and ac guitar. Use the reverb to place them both in the same “physical space” or go completely mad if you wish. The vocal on the original track also has a bit of delay on it, that you might want to add carefully to some bits, example, turn up the send on the last word in verse. Experiment, you have nothing to lose (always work on a copy!)

I’m not sure what sort of finalising and/or mastering tools are available in Reason, but you could download the 10 day free trial version of Ozone from Izotope. It is designed to optimise your final mix. You can have it “listen” to your track and give you a suggestion of setting to use. Get it here:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone.html

and while you are there you can grab a free copy of the vocal doubler free plugin and play around with you voice.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/free-audio-plug-ins.html

If that is too daunting, put an EQ and compressor/limiter across the stereo output channel and adjust to suit.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

Take 15 minutes to watch/study this

Edited by datacommando
Added video

Yeah I mostly did what you are suggesting, just dont have a great ear for that stuff.  I think it sounds decent, but will definately check out those suggestions.  Was gonna ask here, but its not really L6 related if there were any decent free FX plugins for Reaper?  Some I like and have some preset settings I like, but some (reverb) I just struggle with to get something I like.

Also on a side note....How do I record a 'dry' take into Reaper as well. Someone said that its always being sent on 7/8 if I remember correctly....anything I need to do for that other than just arming a track with those inputs?  Or...

As a new process for me, how do I reamp that dry track or something recorded in Reaper using Helix....I love dialing in stuff and can get good results there...but dont want to 'bake' in the effects I have in my preset for live use.

Edit:  I'm sure I can google it at work today, but for now scratching my questions out if you have any suggestions.  I looked through helix settings and nothing initially stood out to me and the 10,000 options Reaper has are overwhelming at times to someone. lol

6 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Yeah I mostly did what you are suggesting, just dont have a great ear for that stuff.  I think it sounds decent, but will definately check out those suggestions.  Was gonna ask here, but its not really L6 related if there were any decent free FX plugins for Reaper?  Some I like and have some preset settings I like, but some (reverb) I just struggle with to get something I like.

Also on a side note....How do I record a 'dry' take into Reaper as well. Someone said that its always being sent on 7/8 if I remember correctly....anything I need to do for that other than just arming a track with those inputs?  Or...

As a new process for me, how do I reamp that dry track or something recorded in Reaper using Helix....I love dialing in stuff and can get good results there...but dont want to 'bake' in the effects I have in my preset for live use.

Edit:  I'm sure I can google it at work today, but for now scratching my questions out if you have any suggestions.  I looked through helix settings and nothing initially stood out to me and the 10,000 options Reaper has are overwhelming at times to someone. lol

Well, if you are intent on becoming a bedroom producer you have to start somewhere -  try here for freebies.

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

Plus a couple more videos you might want to check out -

Here is Jason doing the re- amp thing with Reaper and then Cubase.

Hope this helps/makes sense