Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Very Happy With Pod Hd/dt25 Set Up!

boyce89976

Recently, it seems there is a lot of complaining, and general unhappiness on the forums, so I wanted to share a positive experience with my POD/DT25 combo.  

I play in our worship band at church, and in an effort to simplify my patches this week, I made a bunch of adjustments.  I took my patches down to the bare minimum (single amp models in most cases, with light compression, a little overdrive and a few effects), and added an expression pedal (which I'm using to alter the effects mix for delay/reverb or to pan between two amp models.  I use the built in Expression pedal to control amp channel volume to free up an effects slot).  I also switched the POD to 5-8 Footswitch control to make it easier to engage/disengage multiple effects.  

My goal is to have two or three base tones to build on:  Shimmering Clean, Light Overdrive, Creamy Distortion; with the ability to add or remove OD/Distortion as needed and still get a great clean sound (I don't like to switch patches during a song).  My Light Overdrive patch has a Distortion pedal stacked with the OD pedal, so that patch is very versatile and the one I used 90% of the time last night. It's setup like this:  Red Comp, Screamer, Classic Distortion, PHD, Octoverb, Stereo Delay, noise gate.  I have the Classic Distortion set up with a high filter value (to smooth out the high end a little) and give a couple db of boost for lead lines.       

At rehearsal last night we were changing out our Aviom IEM system to a Behringer system, so there was time to really play around with some tones along with the other guitarist.  He has a SWEET setup:  Matchless Class-A 2x12 combo, and a pedal board full of vintage and new pedals... he gets some amazing tones whether he's using his Les Paul or his Tele.  This was my first time playing with him, and I'm happy to say that the POD/DT combo, and my new, simpler approach to tones, held up VERY well against his boutique rig.  I was using my Strat (he had his LP) and the blend was very nice.  He really cranks his amp up (we have amp closets) and that's the one area where the DT might fall short of his Matchless (which is 15 watts Class-A)... overall volume.  I had to put the POD at 3 o'clock and the DT at 3 o'clock (about 75% of full volume on both) just to get close to his volume... I could probably get there though, as I tend to build my patches with a lot of headroom (can't stand digital clipping).  

This POD/DT combo is such a versatile system if you put the time in to experiment with it and learn it.  We have some world class guitarists in our worship group (one guy has toured with Keith Urban and currently uses a Kemper), and I feel comfortable that I can hang with them tone-wise with this combo.  THANK YOU LINE6!

• Upvote 4

Nice post and description of what your rigs ingredients are. The forums are always full of unhappy posts because when people are trying to learn something difficult and have trouble with it they usually squirm a lot. When they finally learn whatever it is they were working on they should come back and put in a positive note, unless of course all they know how to play is Death Metal, lol.

I am very impressed with what Line 6 did with these devices and am happy to own quite of bit of their equipment for an amateur that plays at home for family and friends. I'm learning something new everyday playing guitar and recording riffs and mixing them. I love to service, fabricate and tune all my guitars too and so the story really never ends as when you stop learning you start dieing.

Failing to understand the philosophy behind modeling seems to be the problem for the most. People tend to use patches like effect pedals and then rant when they can't get it sound right. Instead of learning how to use tools, they just click everything, turn the knobs and when this doesn't work, they blame someone else. Its like hitting myself in thumb with a hammer and then yelling to The Lady of The Manor for it.

I've played with DT25 head/cab only and with HD500/Dt25 combination. Both are excellent tools. However, like every amp in the business, people need to use time to learn how the tool works. Can't claim myself being the best guitarist in this world (i've seen one or two better ones ;), but after 35 years of playing i dare to say i can recognize a good tool, when i see one.

Of course - if looked carefully - something to rant for can be found in just about everything. But in this we should get a mirror and have a chat with the monkey we see in it. Ask the hairy bum, would he rather listen yelling about "this f**n f**k won't f**k!" or take part in discussion in which we as community try to develope our tools to even better. I believe all of those, who are not in dire need of special medical care, would take the option with more brains and less letter f:s.

Guess its the internet. People - ecspecially them brats (why didn't we raise them when we had the chance?) - talk in internet in ways they would get knocked 'til the next week, if tried the same in discussion with real people. If there is something to rant for, we should rant about moderators who made it normality in our discussing forums.

Internet... I hate it these days. It was marvellous ibea: But someone messed it up. They let the people join.

Anywas. I'm enjoying of my HD/DT pair and i've already put some of my old gear out for sale just to get another DT set.

I believe someone oughta write somekinda very clear startup guide. Page or two. Guide, where the idea of modeling is explained plain and simple to those who are plain and s...

err...

...in need of it. And please, do not leave it to me and my poor excuse of english. I learned this sad attempt of mimicking a human language from mr A. Schwarzenegger's film Conan, the Barbarian.

And from a song called Mustang Sally.

• Upvote 1

...In every other way, it's worse than real amps.

Err.. Lost you there pal. Worse than real amps?

It IS a real amp. Actually it is very versatile real amp.

Of course it can't copy 1/1 some of them 100W hi-gain monsters (personally i don't find them trashcans very useful anyways). Some part of a sound comes definitely from them 150 desibels tearing your pants off when standing in front of one of them 100W tube monsters. But most models are like the original. Actually they're more. Instead of being limited to one decent tone, like most Fenders, Marshalls and (actually... You make the list. I'm too lazy ;) ) are, this one can change its shorts. You need to get very expensive "real" amp, if you want it change classses A to a/b or do the other tricks this one does. Most of them do not have such options at all.

With my current knowledge of this DT-thingy, its better than most of traditional amps. And i can sell my boutique gear and get 3 more with the money.

Some parts of modeling still need some fine tuning. Losing the microphone from POD setup should also be possible (it may also be found out, that i finally need to go get some eye glasses to change the blurred world with lots of missed text in manuals to clearer one). However that may also be me in need of more skills with this one. And in modeling there always comes the fact, that if originals sound doesn't fit your ear, neither does models.

In nutshell: 100W plexi may do better plexi, than DT does, but it stinks in doing them another 29 amps. + all the variations you can do on the models with power amp options.

I like mine because it's cheap, and it doesn't need to be cranked to get nice tones.

In every other way, it's worse than real amps. 

Not sure I understand what you mean either.  The POD/DT25 combo runs about $1,500 new, certainly not cheap, but not boutique either.  I'm not sure an all-tube amp would be any better.  If you're using a POD, and a non-DT, all-tube, amp, your not really using the tube preamp section, though it will still color the sound.  In that case, you should just be dialing in a loud clean tone to feed the POD through.  

I've only had my POD/DT25 combo since October and until last night, thought I might be giving up something by not having a pedal board and a boutique amp (that's the perpetual always-looking-to-upgrade side of me).  Now I know I'm not giving up anything (at least that I can hear), when side-by-side with a boutique/pedal combo, and in some cases I thought the POD/DT sounded better (thicker, with more body).  I mean, just look at the growing number of artists using the POD live (Garbage is using POD's for their live guitar sounds... and you know how important tone is to Butch Vig)!  I'll admit, the combo is pretty sterile at low volume, but almost ALL AMPS SOUND STERILE at low volume.  Once I got it cranked up, and had the tubes cooking for an hour or so, all the feel of a "real amp" was there.  

One day I will own a Dr. Z MAZ 18 and a killer pedal board because I want one, NOT because I think the POD/DT is lacking anything.    

The way I tooked at it was: For me when I have software issues I wish I didn't. Lol. As far as the cheap part goes it's way more inexpensive than owning a boatload of of amps.

This is the first real amp (DT50 Head & HD500 + X3Pro) I've ever owned and I absolutely love it. I'm able to experience the sound of all these different amps for relatively low cost and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Here's the tone I used 90% of the time last night, only kicking on the Classic Distortion pedal for lead lines.  Delay and reverb mix are controlled by the 2nd expression pedal:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/263648/

And here's the one I used the other 10% of the time.  There's a little bit of "bite" at the top end of the frequency range without the Screamer on (I think from the "Vintage Pre"), but I like it.  The Screamer is set to a very light drive setting (with single coils), and adds some warmth when needed.  Again, delay and reverb mix are controlled by the 2nd expression pedal:  

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/263646/

Both of these tones are set up for the bridge and neck pickups on a SSS strat, but also work well in position two (bridge/middle).  They sound decent at low volume, but really open up at higher volumes.  

I'm surprised that some players can't get sounds they like from the HD rigs. I have a theory as to why that might be. When you own just one amp you spend a lot of time tweaking it and your effects to get a handful of great sounds from it. But when you have all the amps and effects available in the pod HD you may not spend enough time on each individual amp to get the most from it. I would suggest picking one amp you like at a time and really working at perfecting patches.

I'm surprised that some players can't get sounds they like from the HD rigs. I have a theory as to why that might be. When you own just one amp you spend a lot of time tweaking it and your effects to get a handful of great sounds from it. But when you have all the amps and effects available in the pod HD you may not spend enough time on each individual amp to get the most from it. I would suggest picking one amp you like at a time and really working at perfecting patches.

I couldn't agree more.  I've used the AC30 since I got the POD, and have been working with the PHD for about 2 months.  Like I said previously, it's a system you have to commit to.  

Here's the tone I used 90% of the time last night, only kicking on the Classic Distortion pedal for lead lines.  Delay and reverb mix are controlled by the 2nd expression pedal:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/263648/

And here's the one I used the other 10% of the time.  There's a little bit of "bite" at the top end of the frequency range without the Screamer on (I think from the "Vintage Pre"), but I like it.  The Screamer is set to a very light drive setting (with single coils), and adds some warmth when needed.  Again, delay and reverb mix are controlled by the 2nd expression pedal:  

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/263646/

Both of these tones are set up for the bridge and neck pickups on a SSS strat, but also work well in position two (bridge/middle).  They sound decent at low volume, but really open up at higher volumes.  

Thanks for sharing your patches but I can't use them with the HD500, but I know what ya mean.

Oh, it's lighter than a collection of amps. That's a plus too.

When I say a 'real amp' I mean the kind of thing the pod is trying to sound like. A device built to do a particular soundeor sounds and do it well. The pod is a jack of all trades, master of none. Sure you can get good tones out of it with some tweaking, but no one's ever saying you get better tones out of it. And having to set up eqs and compressors and tweak for ages to get a decent tone is a pain. My orange just sounds excellent whatever way I twist the knobs. Thats a feature of real ampsethat the pod completely fails on. It's really, really easy to get bad tone out of it. And several years after its launch the signal chain is STILL not even fully understood. So I see it as an overcomplicated attempt to sound like something else. It only wins on cost, velume level, and weight. And that's all WIN, which is why I own the thing. But I'm not about to hang out on forums trying to convince myself and othes that it's indistinguishable from the real thing. It falls very short when it tries to model the simplicity and playability of the real amps. Those factors are really inspirational for me

Err...

Since thread is about pod/dt25 combo (it says so in the header), i assumed that you talked about them and not just about pod. Pod is not amp. DT is. With pod, DT starts to shine.

But. Comparing pod and just one of amps it models in simplicity is like comparing a bicycle and a space shuttle. Of course bicycle beats the shuttle in simpilcity (like Sarah Palin beats just about every life form on earth in being simple, single cell lifeforms included), but nobody can really claim that the perforance is the same with both. But yes yes. You can't peddle the cursed space shuttle. What a worthless piece of machinery ;)

Its never simple, if it does one trick more than the next competitioner.

Is sound sample "X" better or worse than the original amp it is based on, is only matter of opinion. I don't think that nobody has ever claimed that modeling creates the amp it is based on. People use terms "based on" and "inspired by" a lot when they talk about modeling. Like bicycle is better in peddling, some Park 75 can be better in being Park 75. But in Pod HD/DT25 combination, P-75 with all the rest of gizmos in use IS better tool for just about everything.

You can't peddle the cursed space shuttle. What a worthless piece of machinery ;)

Yes, if the goal is to go to the store to get milk. A bicycle and the shuttle have two very, very different goals. The pod/dt25 combo (which I do speak about, and own) has (more or less) the same goals as a collection of amps and cabs. So compare like with like, please.

But in Pod HD/DT25 combination, P-75 with all the rest of gizmos in use IS better tool for just about everything.

I disagree. Lets try a better comparison. A swiss army knife is cheaper and lighter than a screwdriver, a bowie knife, a fishing rod, a bottle opener, a saw, a pliers, a tweezers, a corkscrew, and a pokey thing for cleaning your nails. It might even do the same job as these. But I am under no illusions as to which tool(s) I prefer, given a choice.

Well, I  agree with the OP.  I'm really happy with the combination of my POD HD Pro and DT25 head.  I've recently added got an L3t as well and that too is great if I want to run direct or use acoustics.  I've been through a fair number of amps and processors over the years - admittedly nothing very high end - but this is by far the happiest I have been with my tone, ease of set up and flexibility within any rig I have owned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my rig too. It's essential to me, since I practice in an apartment with two small children sleeping in the next room.

I also like to play a few covers, and the pod/dt25 combo has that totally nailed. However, it also reminds me a bit of a cover band; can sound pretty good and interesting, but somehow it's never the original.

I find myself playing more original material these days, and searching out a tone or two to call my own. The dt25 again has been pretty good for helping me put sounds to terms like british crunch, grit, sag and so on. So it's pretty nice for learning but I'm starting to think now I wanta real british crunch amp, marshal or orange, and just get good tone without faffing around with all the flexibility and options, which are becoming a distraction and an annoyance. And I think thats the main point, I want gear that just sounds right, without needing a shedload of dsp tweaking and experimentation. The only thing stopping me pulling the trigger on an orange is the volume issue; most of my playing is at acoustic guitar level, or headphones, and I'm a bit scared of buying a 50w or 100w until I get a rehearsal room.

I disagree. Lets try a better comparison. A swiss army knife is cheaper and lighter than a screwdriver, a bowie knife, a fishing rod, a bottle opener, a saw, a pliers, a tweezers, a corkscrew, and a pokey thing for cleaning your nails. It might even do the same job as these. But I am under no illusions as to which tool(s) I prefer, given a choice.

Looks like i - once again - have to come up with opposing opinion. However this is just the thing musicians should do. Discuss, question everything and finally finding some kinda solution. And the world would be a sad place, if everyone had the same opinions. Or if everyone played the same kinda music.

Comparison including swiss army knife does not stand in close observation. If multi-purpose is always just a cheap, poor excuse of a tool, we need to add some "real" amps like Mesa's MarkV or Roadster to the list of swiss army knives. What is MarkV but a modeling amp really? Few channels producing different type of tones. DT only beats that one with 8 channels - funnily enough - working with MIDI foot controller like very many "real" amps.

Again we need to focus on what we get from the end of our tube. One, even if very special and carefully developed, tone is not enough for me. I need way more. For some strange reason it is not allowed to use computing in process of making sound (there goes just about every digital effect in the world). Instead of that, whe should use loads of stompboxes and mountain of amps. That's just yesterdays thinking. Big brands tend to keep telling people, that they're the only ones capable to build a wheel. And the wheel of every other brand is just a cheap copy. Line6 is producing all 4 wheels and a chariot on top of them in price of one fifth of a wheel. That is soo wrong.

And again. I don't need exact copies of big brands amps. There is always something they are made for. They try to reach some kinda tone. Do they all? Do they reach it even better than a modeling amp? That pair surely gets lots of different answers.

HD/DT pair is not a swiss army knife. It is a toolbox. It has them screwdrivers etc, all tools needed in just about every job possible and they come in 2 reasonable sized cases.

• Upvote 2

HD/DT pair is not a swiss army knife. It is a toolbox. It has them screwdrivers etc, all tools needed in just about every job possible and they come in 2 reasonable sized cases.

Let's agree to disagree then :)  It's not a toolbox... a room full of amp heads, cabs, speakers, attenuators, tubes, stomp boxes, guitars and pickups is. Line6 is taking all of that, cramming it into a small and cheap box. So, swiss army knife.

Let's agree to disagree then :)  It's not a toolbox... a room full of amp heads, cabs, speakers, attenuators, tubes, stomp boxes, guitars and pickups is. Line6 is taking all of that, cramming it into a small and cheap box. So, swiss army knife.

We get it.  You don't like it, so why not get rid of it and get what you want?  

Nah. VOX Mini3 is a swiss army knife. I use that in our caravan. With that one i have to settle for less. With DT i don't. So its a toolbox.

I have one of those little Amps, use it all the time with rechargeable batteries and my Ibanez semi hollw. Sounds really good for portable and I also run my UX2's phones out into the Aux in to monitor patches, works really good. Don't know about a tool box, lol already have one that weighs 3 tons.