Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Favorite Clean Tone (so Far!)

charlyg

I am resetting the defaults on the Amplifi, and found JC120 for my clean tone. It really sounds great with my Sheraton. I have SD Jazz in the neck ans Seth Lover in the bridge, and the thing just chimes, in a smooth mellow sort of way, but the shimmer is def there.

So, what I have decided to do for the 4 presets is to start basic. Clean, crunch(for rhythm and low end riffs), lead, and I haven't decided on the 4th yet(probably some dirty blues tone). If I keep the defaults just to basic amp/cab. then I can add whatever effects to whatever it is I happen to be doing.

I figure I gotta just try different things/ways of using the tech out, and see what works for me, cuz I think I have landed on the gear that I like, for the long term.

• Like 1

Not yet. I have about a dozen I want to go through and upload. Maybe after my nap!

Since I play a semi hollow, I don't figure finding a nice acoustic tone will be too hard. I'll report back, and wouldn't mind trying yours.

Then we may be the fist tone swappers for the AMPLIFi.

Woot, FWIW.

Pedals - Eleven Rack

@charlyg - any opinions you have about the Eleven Rack? I am looking to get myself a copy of Pro Tools 11, and Sweetwater has a sale going on the Eleven Rack + ProTools11 bundle, for basically same price as Pro Tools, or at most maybe $100 more than what I am seeing ProTools going for standalone.

I would be interested in how well it works as a soundcard interface with ProTools, and also I would be into running the XLR out from my JTV59>HD500>DT25 rig into the Eleven Rack, and running some basic 'mastering' type FX on it, and maybe even run that out into a pair of FRFR speakers; something like the L2T series.

I will get it by Monday. I am mainly interested in it for amp models and midi. I have 5 iStomps and a Soul Food for various other things. I just picked up the FCB1010 with the Eureka PROM2 so I may be selling off some of the iStomps. It just depends on which things i like working with.

I should be able to get by without the iStomps but their algos are full on. The main idea for me is the AMPLIFi for most things, the 11R to give me the versatility to do almost anything else, the iPad Mini as the basic mixing platform, and WIN8 as the mastering console. I do have a Macbook Pro but it needs servicing, the fan is in BAD shape!

Speaking of how well it works with PT, it started out life as a PT plugin, and then went hardware. At least that is the story as I understand it.

Got the Amplifi 150 and want foot control of effects.  From what I see the FBV footboards (ABCD settings) are disabled when using the app because control is within the app.  How would you go about controlling app functions remotely (i.e. floorboard)?

Is there a floorboard compatible for this amp that would allow control of effects?

HA! I did it for the clean tone, and now I can't remember.... I was gonna change the rest this morning and find some songs to match so I can start uploading! The metadata doesn't get better til we start uploading! I'll try and find it again.

"Well, there is an issue with making tones from scratch. You HAVE to include the Song name artist etc to upload...no favorite clean tone upload without a song mentioned.. so Im looking for a song that is close......"

Which is really dumb...

So I publish a tone which is called "VOX AC-30" but no one can find it because it's not associated with a song? That really rots. They need to re-think how they're doing things ... I think a lot of people would like to simply search and download tones based on amp models or amp model/effects combos, e.g. "Fender Twin Reverb" etc.  Right?

Let's hope they add an option that let's users search the tone server based on keywords in the tones' titles. It wouldn't be hard for them to do this, and it would make it a heck of a lot easier for end users to find new tones. I have a lot of tones already that aren't at all associated with songs so now I won't upload them because no one will find them anyways.

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't let me publish without metadata. oh but wait, i have an idea...

How about I am the artist The name of the tone is the name of the song. Name as album etc etc

Our own tones would be separate, and we could find others we like, (you could search for charlyg as artist).... the idea would be to save the ones you like to mytones and edit them to fit your style.

It's kinda defeating the purpose until the library gets bigger, and it's a touch selfish, but I might be on to something..

What does anyone else think?

I tried that yesterday with a tone I created and it didn't work.  I tired publishing a tone using my name as the artist and the name of the tone (64 Fender Vibroverb) as the song title and album name.  I then searched the Tone Cloud and -- no luck.  OPERATING TIP: So I took the tone and llsted the song as When Sunny Gets Blue and the artist as George Barnes, and renamed the tone as 64 Fender Vibroverb Jazz. After publishing this time, the Tone Cloud search was able to find it with the song or artist name. Try it yourself.  You should be able to find 64 Fender Vibroverb Jazz using When Sunny Gets Blue or George Barnes.

This isn't the best solution obviously since I wasn't really trying to lock in George Barnes' tone. (The tone works for GB but needs to be tweaked)  However, given the publishing parameters of the software I'm not sure how else to do it.  What I think I'll do is use the same song (i.e., "Sunny") and artist ("George Barnes") for all my clean jazz type tones. This way l can find all my clean jazz tones by just going to one artist or song.  AE

@charlyg, I'm probably being dense but I couldn't work out how to replace the default tones with tones that I'd saved, I could only edit and rename the existing tones which was a pain in the behind. If someone could tell me how that would be great. 

Hi. OPERATING TIP: If what you are asking is how to change the four default preset tones on your amp, here's how:  You go to the tones you've saved in My Tones, select the tone you want (a speaker icon will show up in front of it and the tone will be highlighted with a red banner), and select "Save to Hardware" at the top of the list of tones. This will show you the four presets you have on your amp. Select the one you want to replace and it will be replaced with your new tone.  AE

Hi. If what you are asking is how to change the four default preset tones on your amp, here's how:  You go to the tones you've saved in My Tones, select the tone you want (a speaker icon will show up in front of it and the tone will be highlighted with a red banner), and select "Save to Hardware" at the top of the list of tones. This will show you the four presets you have on your amp. Select the one you want to replace and it will be replaced with your new tone.  AE

Just as I suspected, I was being dense. Thanks for the reply although i had already found it, I hadn't noticed the save to hardware option