Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Purchased an HX in 2017 and just opened the box tonight.

tugscout

Hi Gang,

Yup, no ones going to accuse me of rushing into things  :)

I purchased my HX along with a new guitar and subsequently had a whole series of events take place and I never got around to using either of them. I'm guessing COVID boredom got the better of me and I decided to pull them out of the closet tonight. I've spent several hours going through this forum after registering my unit and I've got two questions if I may:

1. I want to start of right with the latest firmware. My unit presently has version 2.5. Can I jump directly to the current version or do I have to go through and load each previous update?

2. I primarily play acoustic guitars which have passive K&K mini soundboard pickups which I run through a L.R. Baggs Paracoustic-DI and then into a soundboard. In reading this forum there seems to be mixed opinions on which input to plug in an acoustic guitar. Can someone please shed some light on this for me and can I use the HX preamp or do I have to continue using the PARA-DI?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Mark

2. There’s no ‘right’ answer. Experiment. What sounds best to you is right for you.

Using your PARA-DI box experiment with using the Helix Mic input and it’s associated preamp. Helix has a global setting to adjust the mic input gain if you need to boost or cut the input level. If your PARA-DI box has a 1/4” output experiment with using the Helix Guitar input.

When you are experimenting without your PARA-DI and connecting your acoustic directly to the Helix using the 1/4” Guitar input you may find the input signal level low due to your passive pickups. Try using the Helix Studio pre-amp model. You may even want to boost the signal before it hits the Studio pre-amp using e.g.a Gain FX block or an EQ block with neutral tone settings and just a Level boost. You can also boost the signal further at the Output block if necessary.

The passive K&K pickup should work better on the Helix instrument input. It has 1MOhm input impedance to provide a natural balanced signal. The L.R. Baggs has 10MOhm which should result in a hotter signal with slightly pronounced bass. What sounds better depends on the instrument and personal preference. It's only a marginal difference though. This comparison might give an impression.

Keep in mind that cascading audio devices adds noise, too.

Hey there,I just wanted  to chime in and say I have an HX Effects and s very inexpensive Yamaha scoustic (solid  top though), and I just love running my acoustic which I  forgot to mentinn I have put in a very cheap pop in Dean Markley pickup into the HX Effects and then into a battery powered Blackstar Fly3 with its extension nspeaker turning it into a staggering 6 watt device of audio bliss! I enjoy the Vetta Comp as a super easy bigger than life instant compressor, maybe an eq for extra sparkle, then the fun stuff, I like the Elephant Man echo with modulation. The effects sound fantastic, and I just love having that cushy lush sound of those modulated repeats as a core sound. Endless fun, you are gonna love it!