Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compressor in front of PG

Kingdondo

32 minutes ago, Kingdondo said:

Stupid question number 16   Any issues with placing a compressor - say Xotic SP in front of PG.  I know its in the effects  however it may release a block and some DSP.

Not a stupid question at all, and great way to free up your blocks.  You could place it in front of your PG but you might get some noise - if you put it in your PG's FX loop you can then position the compressor wherever you want in the FX chain when the PG's built in noise-gate will avoid any unwanted noise/hiss, and you have greater control of the compressor signal.  See page 24 of the Pod Go manual:

image.thumb.png.10adfd47e642bea1712cda247793c6d9.png

Great advice as always. I forgot about the noise gate. I already have a Bognor Wessex and an EP Pre in the loop in front of the amp. I leave the EP Pre on all the time so I guess I’ll put the compressor before that. Do you adjust any of the loop settings - mix?  Thanks as always.  Keep safe in the UK.  Just had 25 consecutive days of no community transmissions in good old Queensland Australia

I found that playing 90% rhythm parts in a set, that I was using a comp in every preset to keep my volume consistent and reduced the dynamic range of what I was playing, so did exactly what you were thinking - I have an SP in front of my PG, and it a) saves me a block, b) solves my problem, and c) sounds great! 

On 10/6/2020 at 1:06 AM, Kingdondo said:

Great advice as always. I forgot about the noise gate. I already have a Bognor Wessex and an EP Pre in the loop in front of the amp. I leave the EP Pre on all the time so I guess I’ll put the compressor before that. Do you adjust any of the loop settings - mix?  Thanks as always.  Keep safe in the UK.  Just had 25 consecutive days of no community transmissions in good old Queensland Australia

Totally your taste 're fx loop settings and mix ....just experiment to see what the controls do and go with what you like. Good to hear things are improving down under, and you keep well too.