Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd With An Acoustic Guitar Amplifier?

oleijon

Hi guys.

I am restructuring my gear and are considering a new amp setup. Since I use a Taylor T5 as my main guitar, with a Telecaster as a backup, and want to keep it as simple as possible, my current idea is to buy a nice acoustic amplifier (currently considering Fishman Loudbox, Vox AGA 70, Tanglewood T6 but are open to suggestions) and use a HD500(X) in front of it. By not using any amp model in my acoustic patches I believe I will have nice acoustic sounds from my guitar, but still be able to get the full Monty from the HD500 when I want to to. The portability of the acoustic amps don´t hurt either, and since most (all?)of them also have DI outputs I could use it straight into the board and use it as a monitor if the gig should need it.

I find it hard to believe no-one has tried this before, so are there anyone here with any experience or meaningful input?

Thanks!

have you considered a line6 l3t/l3m or l2t/l3m

might be some worthwhile benefits in the L6Link

Hi, and thanks for your reply!

Yes, I did, but since I want to be able to use it at home for practicing as well, and since they are almost three times the money (at least they are here in Sweden), I am looking for a smaller alternative. 

I have a suspicion you won't be well served with a dedicated acoustic amp in this setup.  Since the L series is not in your range I suggest you consider other true FRFR solutions to complement the POD.  This will allow you to fully exploit the HD acoustic capabilities while still being able to fully handle your electric tones with the Tele.  Let the POD do all the heavy lifting.

Check out this FRFR solution from Behringer.  Far more capabilities than any of the amps you listed and a fairly comparable price. I think you would be very happy with this amp...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/KXD12.aspx

PS - this item is brand new so maybe not available just yet but it's $350 in the states...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KXD12/

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

I've tried out a number of different solutions to this with my HD500, including a powered Yamaha FRFR monitor, a Fishman Loudbox, an old Mesa-Boogie and a Tech 21 Trademark 30 guitar amp. As you say, acoustic amps (such as the Loudbox) usually have DI outs (but the Trademark does as well...). For a time I used the Yamaha monitor as a source of stage sound (using the 1/4" outs to the Yamaha) and used the XLR out of the HD500 to the board. I also used the Loudbox for a time using its DI out, electric and acoustic sounds generated by the HD500. This worked fine but the sound didn't really work for me. Perhaps part of the problem was that I was using a Variax for the acoustic sounds (700 electric) which were never really realistic enough. 

At the moment I am using the Trademark 30/HD500 combination using the Trademark's DI out to the PA, and I get a great sound (I use at various times a Tele, a Strat and the Variax) but I've stopped trying to get acoustic sounds as well as electric from my rig.

I play a lot of acoustic gigs using a Santa Cruz OM with a Fishman Rare Earth blend pickup - until recently I've been using an AER (Compact 60) acoustic amp but it was destroyed in a flood whilst in storage so is now officially dead (the Loudbox was a back-up to the AER, but has now taken over as my main acoustic amp until I can replace the AER - my Boogie was also destroyed in the same flood hence the Trademark 30 - again my backup electric amp). If you're in the market for an acoustic amp, I would recommend you try out an AER - they're expensive but far far superior to any other acoustic amp I've ever heard IMO.

Good luck!