Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp wiring/chain issues with Boss SY-1 Synth

jpuhl777

Hello all,

I'm looking for help with my setup. I'm not sure if this is a wiring issue or perhaps a hx stomp block chain issue. I just bought a BOSS SY1 synth pedal. I want to isolate the GUITAR (dry) signal from the SYNTH signal. I think I have most of this figured out but there's some things that are baffling me.

I'm using 4 things

* Guitar

* Boss SY1

* L6 HX Stomp v2.92

* FRFR Speaker

How its hooked up (all of 4 cables)

Guitar output > Boss SY1 input (I want this pedal in the front as it tracks better)

Boss SY1 "SEND" > HX Stomp main input L - this is the 100% DRY signal (works regardless if the SY1 is on or off)

Boss SY1 "OUTPUT" > HX Stomp Aux In L - this is the 100% SYNTH signal as set by the SY1 direct and effect volume settings

HX Stomp block chain - Main Input L > Overdrive block > Amp & CAB block > RETURN L block (from SY1 OUTPUT jack) > Delay block > Reverb block > Main Output (to FRFR speaker)

My thinking in this was I can have my normal guitar amp and cab sounds and then to insert the synth sound just before the delay and reverb blocks so everything can use those, using the RETURN blocks mix to adjust how much of dry/synth signal I want. Sometimes 50/50 dry/synth and then sometimes 100% synth.

The issue I'm having is this setup works fine but the RETURN L will not use the delay and reverb blocks, despite it being in front of both of them. The amp and cab blocks which are before the RETURN L use the delay and reverb which is baffling me. I can not tell what I'm doing wrong here.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I feel I'm close but obviously missing something here...

Much thanks in advance!

With the mix knob at 100% all you hear is 100% synth (like you're playing a keyboard and not a guitar mixed with a keyboard). But in the end the mix is meant to be adjustable on the fly and I will certainly use it at 50%. My question is why is there no delay and reverb. Those two blocks are on and AFTER the return block. That is the part I can't figure out... stumping me good.

Do return blocks auto bypass all other blocks?

Looks like he should be using a MONO FX Loop Block, not Stereo. Using a Return L block will return the signal to both L and R paths.

That's just from a cursory look, don't have time right now to load the preset and test.

Hopefully, by the time I get home from work you'll have solved it.

27 minutes ago, jpuhl777 said:

With the mix knob at 100% all you hear is 100% synth (like you're playing a keyboard and not a guitar mixed with a keyboard). But in the end the mix is meant to be adjustable on the fly and I will certainly use it at 50%. My question is why is there no delay and reverb. Those two blocks are on and AFTER the return block. That is the part I can't figure out... stumping me good.

Do return blocks auto bypass all other blocks?

When I use your patch and set mix to 50% I get delay and reverb with both inputs as well as both returns.

Set Global Settings -> Ins/outs -> Return Type to Return.

Btw. try increasing master to 6 or 7 on the Brit 2204 to get some more power tube saturation.

• Upvote 1

I updated the preset to be a Mono RETURN L. I get the same effect.

SCHMALLE - question for you based on your reply. If you set the mix to 100% do you get delay and reverb?

If I set the mix at 50% I get the delay and reverb - but ONLY from the dry signal. The synth sounds still bypass those blocks. I want to know why they are bypassing delay and reverb. I went through global settings in case I goofed up something there too but it seems in order.

if it helps - if you wanted to only play with the synth sound, no guitar at all. You would set the mix to 100% synth. But synths arguably sound better with delay and reverb. That is where I'm banging my head against the wall cause it doesn't work :)

but seriously I appreciate any and all replies! you guys rock!

Synth 1 (new mono).hlx

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   SCHMALLE, you are epic in my book!  It was the global setting you found. Return type = Return and presto all is well!

Thank you so much! You are simply wonderful!

FYI - the amp and cab settings were out of the box. it is fairly weak. I didn't tweak anything there. That is not my amp sound - I just wanted something to test things out so I didn't goof up my "real" presets :)

Time to rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1