Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rackmount in 7CM Using Both Paths

spanny

I'm looking into picking up a Helix Rackmount to run as an effects-only unit in a 7CM with my tube amps.  I know the unit can do this, but my question is if I can utilize both paths 1 and 2 on the Helix to give me access to more than 9 blocks at a time per preset?  I've seen lots of discussions on the 7cm but couldn't find anything regarding using both paths 1 and 2.

I am currently I am running 2 HX Effects (1 for pre and 1 for post) so I can have a total of 18 effects blocks at a given moment, all run via midi - using 1 preset per HX Effects unit called up by instant access switches on my midi board.

Thanks in advance!

21 hours ago, spanny said:

I'm looking into picking up a Helix Rackmount to run as an effects-only unit in a 7CM with my tube amps.  I know the unit can do this, but my question is if I can utilize both paths 1 and 2 on the Helix to give me access to more than 9 blocks at a time per preset?  I've seen lots of discussions on the 7cm but couldn't find anything regarding using both paths 1 and 2.

I am currently I am running 2 HX Effects (1 for pre and 1 for post) so I can have a total of 18 effects blocks at a given moment, all run via midi - using 1 preset per HX Effects unit called up by instant access switches on my midi board.

Thanks in advance!

Hi spanny,

You might want to have a look through the Line 6 Helix Rack and Control Owner's Manual available here:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a06439c4dfc577d5a2aea898/application/pdf/Helix Rack and Control - Rev B - English .pdf

Regarding the question about of how may blocks would be available:-  the Rack, Floor and LT versions of the Helix all have 32 blocks in 4 stereo paths of 8 blocks that can run in parallel, serial or super serial. See diagrams in the manual.

You must bear in mind that certain effects and/or amp and cab combinations may eat up more DSP than others, therefore the full compliment of 32 blocks may run out  before using them all. Although as your intention is to use the 7CM with your tube amps, will conserve DSP by not accessing the Helix amps. If you have been using 2 HXFX units, this will be a lot more streamlined, with a bit more more "muscle". MIDI is fully covered and your pre and post effects will all be in one box. You could have 16 blocks pre and 16 post, once again you must realise that stereo FX will use twice the DSP as the mono versions.

Hope this helps/makes sense.